Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 11:04 PM

3,158 posts, read 6,123,489 times

Advertisements

In Colorado the local Kroger chain (King Soopers) also owns fuel centers. Every $100 of purchases earns a 10 cent per gallon discount on gas. Certain purchases can earn more than that. Since their gas prices are comparable to the local gas stations before the discount, I can save $3 or more on a fill up for buying food items that I would have bought in the first place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2014, 11:45 PM

44,628 posts, read 61,611,846 times
Shoppers cards in most instances save you money. If you don't use one then you automatically pay the highest price, unless it's on sale.

Old 09-06-2014, 01:35 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,317,950 times
I shop a lot at Fry's, part of the Kroger chain. Scanning my card there generates special coupons I get in the mail every couple of months. They aren't generic coupons, they're discounts for specific brands and things I buy all the time. Sometimes it's not just cents off ... it an entire free item. In this batch of coupons I got a coupons for a free box of Kroger cereal of my choice, a free tube of the Colgate toothpaste of my choice, and a free bag of greens. Given the free items, other coupons I used sent to me by Fry's, plus two I got from the Sunday newspaper, I saved $17.

Had I bought that stuff without repeatedly scanning my price card, the same haul would have cost me $57, instead of $40. I fully realize I'm surrendering a lot of privacy using a price card, but for that kind of savings on a regular basis, they can have my buying data.

Old 09-06-2014, 06:38 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,952,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amylewis View Post
What I've heard about those store cards is that they generate lots of data about your purchasing history, which is sold to those with an interest in what you buy, like your healthcare insurance company, and other corporations that want to sell you stuff and target market you for it. Supposedly, if you buy what your healthcare provider considers unhealthy food, your premiums can go up. I've not been able to verify this, but they are indeed collecting data on your purchases, and what gets done with that data? Who gets it and what do they use it for?

I have no store cards or rewards cards, nor do I want any. Recently Winn Dixie bought out the Sweetbay chain here, and when I went in to the store I used to shop at all the prices had gone up, unless you had their store card. I never went back there again. I don't like being herded like that.

You really should get a card. You can save a lot of money by stocking up on tin foil next time there's a sale.

Old 09-06-2014, 07:42 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,960,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Shoppers cards in most instances save you money. If you don't use one then you automatically pay the highest price, unless it's on sale.
The problem I have with them is the idea that the customer has to have one to save money. Why not give all the customers the good price? Why does the store feel the need to hassle customers (even if it's a minor hassle)? Walgreens has the card thing as well and now they have this complicated point system that makes even the hotel point system seem easy. However, if it is used to track customers' shopping habits, I assume the reason is to put items on sale that don't sell very well, thus it actually serves a purpose, at least on the store's end.

Old 09-06-2014, 08:30 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,951,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidv View Post
In Colorado the local Kroger chain (King Soopers) also owns fuel centers. Every $100 of purchases earns a 10 cent per gallon discount on gas. Certain purchases can earn more than that. Since their gas prices are comparable to the local gas stations before the discount, I can save $3 or more on a fill up for buying food items that I would have bought in the first place.
This^^. Most of the Kroger stores here have gas stations & you can save a LOT on gas. I think you can also get a gas discount at Shell stations as well (not sure which stations, but it's a lesser discount than at the Kroger stations). A discount's a discount!

Old 09-06-2014, 09:30 AM

606 posts, read 1,978,565 times
If you have privacy concerns you can always sign up using a false name, address, and phone number. My default is 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, Washington, DC 202-456-1414!!

Old 09-06-2014, 09:36 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,951,751 times
Taken right off the bottom of my Kroger receipt this week: "You saved 33% on you order today. Total savings with your Kroger card $86.10." And that's just sticking to my list.

They issue cards to create loyalty. I don't see any difference between that and frequent flyer mile perks.

Old 09-06-2014, 10:08 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,138,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
The problem I have with them is the idea that the customer has to have one to save money. Why not give all the customers the good price? Why does the store feel the need to hassle customers (even if it's a minor hassle)? Walgreens has the card thing as well and now they have this complicated point system that makes even the hotel point system seem easy. However, if it is used to track customers' shopping habits, I assume the reason is to put items on sale that don't sell very well, thus it actually serves a purpose, at least on the store's end.
I don't understand how the system would work if it didn't require a card....

BTW, you don't have to carry a physical card anymore.

Old 09-06-2014, 10:29 AM

2,453 posts, read 3,606,216 times
Yep, it's mainly to ensure loyalty. Aside from using the coupons for products they know you purchase I always think twice before doing a big shop at any store besides my preferred one. Spending that money at King Soopers (Kroger) instead of Albertson's means I get points for my next gas purchase. I've gotten as much as 60 cents a gallon off the normal gas price.

Sometimes they run special 4X points for gift card purchases. I buy these for my grandchildren for Subway, Starbucks, etc. which I would do anyway so why not get a return on my grocery dollars?

Last edited by Lost Roses; 09-06-2014 at 10:44 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products