Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2014, 10:14 AM

863 posts, read 1,193,812 times

Advertisements

A few weeks ago I was in the electronics department of the local Walmart (the only place within 30 miles of here that has electronics) and I asked the only woman visible in the department a question about phones. She said;I have no idea, they just transferred me here from housewares. She said it seems like every time an employee starts to get used to a department, they move them to another. Maybe that's a good way for the employees not to waste valuable time helping customers.........?

We primarily shop there for OTC meds. They're cheaper by far than the closest competitor. I read that they will do something like put in an order for 500,000 cases of ibuprofen then threaten to cancel the order if the company doesn't drop their prices.........rather than get stuck with product they can't quickly dump, the wholesaler gives in. It's a brilliant, ruthless business practice and highly effective. It always seems like it's the bastards in life that make out the best......and Walmart is certainly no exception.

When I leave a Walmart after shopping there, I feel drained. Like somebody has stolen a little piece of my soul............that and I'm fairly certain that most Walmarts exist in some sort of a rift in the space-time continuum. Time seems to stop inside a Walmart while the outside world spins merrily along.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2014, 10:21 AM

1,346 posts, read 3,071,521 times
This doc put the nail in the coffin for me:

Wal Mart: The High Cost of Low Price - Brave New Films

Old 10-31-2014, 11:14 AM

1,137 posts, read 1,092,994 times
I think the reasons I like Walmart are the reasons others hate Walmart :-)

Old 10-31-2014, 11:34 AM

1,205 posts, read 2,684,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Oh the flipside, I like that Walmart is constantly evolving with things like neighborhood market and the Savings catcher app which has to make the competition really nervous.

Liberal America just can't stand someone who is successful and has more.
Neigborhood Markets have been around forever and from what I've read savings catcher catcher sucks, it wasn't so much an innovation as a defensive measure imo.
I don't mind someone being successful its just that the dollar stores have been rolling on walmarts turf lately and amazon is the one making the really bold moves right now.

Old 10-31-2014, 11:39 AM

1,002 posts, read 1,961,067 times
I rarely step foot in a Walmart even though it is the closest store to my house. As everyone has mentioned above, as the largest employer in the US, their politics are terrible. They treat their employees like cattle, provide little in the way of benefits, have meetings to teach the employees how to apply for medicaid and SNAP. All of this costs the rest of us money. I am not going to throw more money at them. Also, in our small city they have run all of the small and mid-size guys out of business. We just lost a whole chain of mom and pop grocery stores here, because they can't compete.

I don't hate Starbucks or Costco at all. I don't go to Starbucks often because I don't like their coffee. But they offer even part time employees health insurance. And Costco is my go-to store for lots of reasons. Even though we are empty nesting now, I can find great deals on lots of stuff there. Almost all of our electronics are purchased at Costco...can't beat the deals and the extended warranties. They just paid for a laptop to be repaired after it was out of manufacturer's warranty. The produce beats all of our local grocery chains. The price of a hot dog and soda hasn't gone up in the 30 years I've been shopping there. A large quality pizza is only $10. They have products that I can't buy anywhere else. The commuter mugs can't be beat by any others I've owned in the past. AND! they pay a very liveable wage with excellent benefits. Nuff said. Costco is not milking the government by putting their employees on medicaid and food stamps.

Old 10-31-2014, 01:42 PM

1,130 posts, read 1,338,048 times
if Costco can pay a decent wage and offer some benefits so can WalMart...they just choose not too. which one is better for America? Exactly why I do not support them. It is ironic that companies like WalMart are what gave rise to unions. the only time I would set foot in that selfish, unAmerican place would be to buy a "Boycott Walmart" bumper sticker (or a "
Unionize WalMart" one lol)

Old 10-31-2014, 03:10 PM

10,084 posts, read 5,714,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FriendlyFeller View Post
Neigborhood Markets have been around forever and from what I've read savings catcher catcher sucks, it wasn't so much an innovation as a defensive measure imo.
I don't mind someone being successful its just that the dollar stores have been rolling on walmarts turf lately and amazon is the one making the really bold moves right now.
I've got back 15 bucks from savings catcher. It works Why would anyone complain about something that saves money?

Old 10-31-2014, 03:23 PM

304 posts, read 343,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claud605 View Post
This doc put the nail in the coffin for me:

Wal Mart: The High Cost of Low Price - Brave New Films
This was the documentary I was looking for, thank you!! It reiterates what some of the former employees have said about what a horrible place WM is to work. Ours would have someone standing at the door checking receipts and rifling through bags!! I've been back once in the last year out of absolute necessity, and it was horrible.

I did work for Target for 7 years many years ago, and even though the pay wasn't great, we were still treated decently and with respect. I was on the management team when chose to leave. I can't relate how a management team could treat people so horribly without saying something. Stick up for yourselves and your people.

Reasons why I encourage everyone I know never again to set foot in one of those stores.

Old 10-31-2014, 04:04 PM

4,294 posts, read 4,412,355 times
I read about all the mom and pop stores affected but then I say to myself those places would be the first ones to rip you off with inflated prices due to their being no "chain stores" in the area. It happens all the time in NYC or at least it did when the only pharmacies in your area would price gouge.

I'd rather pay less for the pleasure !

Old 10-31-2014, 04:16 PM

1,205 posts, read 2,684,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
I've got back 15 bucks from savings catcher. It works Why would anyone complain about something that saves money?
I wasn't complaining about it, but the reviews I've read on the internet are lukewarm at the best. One reviewer said after spending $170 he got back 56 cents and you have to use the giftcard at walmart. You have to trust walmart to give you the best price in exchange for convenience. One review says it only compares name brands and not store brands.
I save money all the time, if I'm not in a rush for something sometimes I'll buy it from a Chinese seller on ebay for a fraction of what I could get it in a store for. Sometimes I have to buy stuff at walmart because its cheaper but I usually have already compared prices myself and that is why I'm buying it at walmart to start with.
Don't get me wrong if your going to buy a lot of stuff at WM anyways you might as well use it.
Hopefully I can get a decent job after I graduate and be able to afford to not have to worry about saving money so much though, I'd rather be one of the Whole Foods organic vegetarian people, a WFOVP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products