Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 02:20 PM

66 posts, read 94,831 times

Advertisements

I don't get it. Every Walmart I've been to is rather nice and clean. I can always find what I want and the prices are nice. It's no Saks Fifth Avenue or any upscale store, but it's certainly a lot better than my local Kmart store!

Why does everyone hate on Walmart so much, especially when so many of the "haters" tend to shop there? Is it because a lot of poor people shop there? Is it because the store doesn't pay their employees that much? Most retail stores DON'T pay their employees much to begin with, but these jobs are really meant for part-time supplemental income and/or kids to get their feet wet in the job market.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2014, 02:34 PM

22,272 posts, read 47,198,180 times
"Why Does Everyone Hate Walmart?"

If everyone hated WalMart, no one would be shopping there.... LOL!

I don't shop there because I do not like their politics, they have generally poor quality, they don't carry things I prefer... etc.

Old 10-29-2014, 02:35 PM

35,095 posts, read 50,980,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post

I don't shop there because I do not like their politics, they have generally poor quality, they don't carry things I prefer... etc.

Beat me to it....

Personally we only use Walmart if we are traveling and they are the only place open and we absolutely need Benadryl or Excedrin Extra Strength.
Otherwise we do not grace their parking lot let alone the inside of the store.

Old 10-29-2014, 02:43 PM

Quote:

That's how I feel about Costco

Old 10-29-2014, 02:55 PM

28,896 posts, read 53,955,105 times
Quote:

That reminds me of this from this brilliance from The Onion:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=repxFQXVsHc

Old 10-29-2014, 05:10 PM

11,558 posts, read 11,994,482 times
Some claim the Wal-Mart in their town is a dump and only lower class citizens shop there (not sure how they know this unless they're shopping there as well).

We have three Super Wal-Marts, several 'regular' Wal-Marts and several Wal-Mart Neighborhood stores. Have been in each and they are all clean, well lit, and employees have great customer service skills.

I shop there because I can save at least $1.00 or more on each product v. purchasing at one of the chain grocery stores - and these are name brand food products. Also save more on HBA (health, beauty aids); paper products; house ware items; stationery items, etc. I cannot justify paying a higher price for the identical product at another store just because "some" dislike Wal-Mart (for whatever reason).

I wanted a plush mattress topper and found one at Bed, Bath and Beyond for $65.00; went to Wal-Mart and found the identical item (same brand, etc.) for $30.00 and obviously purchased it there.

Comes down to this: if you don't like WM, then don't shop there. People claiming the place is terrible isn't going to deter me from saving money.

Old 10-29-2014, 05:45 PM

1,072 posts, read 1,786,309 times
Quote:

That's how I am with Starbucks!

Old 10-29-2014, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
Some claim the Wal-Mart in their town is a dump and only lower class citizens shop there (not sure how they know this unless they're shopping there as well).

We have three Super Wal-Marts, several 'regular' Wal-Marts and several Wal-Mart Neighborhood stores. Have been in each and they are all clean, well lit, and employees have great customer service skills.

I shop there because I can save at least $1.00 or more on each product v. purchasing at one of the chain grocery stores - and these are name brand food products. Also save more on HBA (health, beauty aids); paper products; house ware items; stationery items, etc. I cannot justify paying a higher price for the identical product at another store just because "some" dislike Wal-Mart (for whatever reason).

I wanted a plush mattress topper and found one at Bed, Bath and Beyond for $65.00; went to Wal-Mart and found the identical item (same brand, etc.) for $30.00 and obviously purchased it there.

Comes down to this: if you don't like WM, then don't shop there. People claiming the place is terrible isn't going to deter me from saving money.
Exactly!

Old 10-29-2014, 06:53 PM

863 posts, read 1,189,744 times
A lot of people that dislike Walmart shop there out of necessity. In small towns or more rural areas, once Walmart takes hold, they drive many of the smaller "mom and pop" type of business out because they just can't compete with the pricing. That means that they also corner the unskilled labor market in the area, making themselves one of the areas larger employers.

Then since they've cornered the cheap retail market in the area, your only option is to travel to shop or shop online. So in other words, even though you may have bought X brand underwear your whole life, if Walmart can't strongarm a business deal with them, they won't carry that brand any more and you have to switch. You buy what they have to sell you.

When it comes to Walmart wages, this article says it way better than I ever could: Why Wal-Mart can afford to give its workers a 50%*raise - Fortune

So with the low pay, full time adult Walmart employees have to resort to programs like SNAP. Coincidentally, figures estimate that nearly 20% of food stamp benefits are spent at Walmart. That's quite a racket. Pay low wages, get your employees on food stamps which they then spend in your store. Win, Win for the Waltons.

If you're serious about why people hate Walmart, type that question into a Google search. BAM - Instant reading material for the next week.

Here's a couple to start ya off: How Walmart Hurts the Economy - Small Towns - BusinessNewsDaily

Walmart’s Impact on America | Economy In Crisis

Is Walmart Good or Bad for America? A Debate: Events: The Independent Institute - This is an interesting transcript of a good/bad Walmart debate

I Won -Note - This article is sponsored by the AFL-CIO and the unions have a whole other reason to hate Walmart.

Old 10-29-2014, 07:14 PM

23,468 posts, read 23,803,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catdancer View Post
A lot of people that dislike Walmart shop there out of necessity. In small towns or more rural areas, once Walmart takes hold, they drive many of the smaller "mom and pop" type of business out because they just can't compete with the pricing. That means that they also corner the unskilled labor market in the area, making themselves one of the areas larger employers.

Then since they've cornered the cheap retail market in the area, your only option is to travel to shop or shop online. So in other words, even though you may have bought X brand underwear your whole life, if Walmart can't strongarm a business deal with them, they won't carry that brand any more and you have to switch. You buy what they have to sell you.

When it comes to Walmart wages, this article says it way better than I ever could: Why Wal-Mart can afford to give its workers a 50%*raise - Fortune

So with the low pay, full time adult Walmart employees have to resort to programs like SNAP. Coincidentally, figures estimate that nearly 20% of food stamp benefits are spent at Walmart. That's quite a racket. Pay low wages, get your employees on food stamps which they then spend in your store. Win, Win for the Waltons.

If you're serious about why people hate Walmart, type that question into a Google search. BAM - Instant reading material for the next week.

Here's a couple to start ya off: How Walmart Hurts the Economy - Small Towns - BusinessNewsDaily

Walmart’s Impact on America | Economy In Crisis

Is Walmart Good or Bad for America? A Debate: Events: The Independent Institute - This is an interesting transcript of a good/bad Walmart debate

I Won -Note - This article is sponsored by the AFL-CIO and the unions have a whole other reason to hate Walmart.
propaganda
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products