Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2015, 02:17 PM

24,463 posts, read 25,995,249 times

Advertisements

^^^
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2015, 05:30 PM

2,201 posts, read 1,875,685 times
I shop at Walmart frequently and its perceived idiosyncracies by me are meaningless but irritating beginning with carts rarely maintained 30% with square wheels ! Late of innovation aimed at introducing 27 & 28 inch inseams on jeans ( would increase sales 5% and save material costs.) Their computerized restock
program is pitifully flawed. Their clearance sections are greatly
overpriced .The parking lots have impassible islands if your car
is one lane over. Although there has been a improvement in the
produce the ridiculous impossible to open bags are still laying all over ( if you lick your fingers and then handle apples) you might be at Walmart. If you change a diaper in the food cart and
Its not the babies your in Walmart.

Old 01-17-2015, 04:03 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,050,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by openmike View Post
I shop at Walmart frequently and its perceived idiosyncracies by me are meaningless but irritating beginning with carts rarely maintained 30% with square wheels ! Late of innovation aimed at introducing 27 & 28 inch inseams on jeans ( would increase sales 5% and save material costs.) Their computerized restock
program is pitifully flawed. Their clearance sections are greatly
overpriced .The parking lots have impassible islands if your car
is one lane over. Although there has been a improvement in the
produce the ridiculous impossible to open bags are still laying all over ( if you lick your fingers and then handle apples) you might be at Walmart. If you change a diaper in the food cart and
Its not the babies your in Walmart.
LOL! This was a good laugh!!! Now if this truly was accurate, probably the store would be empty of customers, but we know it's not.

Old 01-17-2015, 05:16 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,389,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
Okey-dokey. We'll all stop shopping there. And all those "indentured servants" will be earning...nothing. And since nobody's shopping there, they won't have to restock shelves so the truck drivers who used to deliver the stock won't have jobs, nor will the warehouse workers who load the trucks. Not to mention the manufacturers here and abroad, yes, in China and Ecuador and Haiti and every other place that factors goods for Walmart where we all stopped shopping.

And while we're at it, let's not shop at all the other minimum wage places and throw the lot of them out of work as well. And watch the welfare rolls swell as all those unemployed have to depend on the working people for everything.

My social conscience is doing very well, thank you, as long as no one is being driven to work with chains on their ankles. I will continue to shop at Walmart for those items that I can get at a considerably lower price than other outlets. I also shop at ALDI for some of my groceries. My local supermarkets get a con-siderable amount of my custom. And I even shop at - gasp! - K Mart from time to time. I try to spread it around, don'cha know. (Not Target, I'm not a fan.)

In an economy where jobs of any kind are hard to find, where too many people don't have the option of shopping in the upscale stores, let us not denigrate the employers who are giving people the opportunity to have some income and the pride that comes with earning it, all the while enabling those of us with too much month at the end of the money to be able to afford a diet of more than Ramen noodles and water.

Be very conscious of unintended consequences.

Well said

I have shopped at Walmart for many years all over the country. Where I am now seems to be the poorest stocked one I have ever been to. That is the management's fault not the chain.

I did just receive excellent customer service on a Walmart.com order. Lately I have been doing more online shopping there since my local Walmart doesn't keep things stocked. I can even order the big bags of dog food with free delivery. It's nice having heavy things delivered to your door And if there is ever a problem I can return it to a local store rather than having to find a place to ship it back. It's very convenient.

Old 01-17-2015, 06:08 AM

6,704 posts, read 5,930,570 times
Quote:
Okey-dokey. We'll all stop shopping there. And all those "indentured servants" will be earning...nothing. And since nobody's shopping there, they won't have to restock shelves so the truck drivers who used to deliver the stock won't have jobs, nor will the warehouse workers who load the trucks. Not to mention the manufacturers here and abroad, yes, in China and Ecuador and Haiti and every other place that factors goods for Walmart where we all stopped shopping.

And while we're at it, let's not shop at all the other minimum wage places and throw the lot of them out of work as well. And watch the welfare rolls swell as all those unemployed have to depend on the working people for everything.

My social conscience is doing very well, thank you, as long as no one is being driven to work with chains on their ankles. I will continue to shop at Walmart for those items that I can get at a considerably lower price than other outlets. I also shop at ALDI for some of my groceries. My local supermarkets get a con-siderable amount of my custom. And I even shop at - gasp! - K Mart from time to time. I try to spread it around, don'cha know. (Not Target, I'm not a fan.)

In an economy where jobs of any kind are hard to find, where too many people don't have the option of shopping in the upscale stores, let us not denigrate the employers who are giving people the opportunity to have some income and the pride that comes with earning it, all the while enabling those of us with too much month at the end of the money to be able to afford a diet of more than Ramen noodles and water.

Be very conscious of unintended consequences.
Truth.

Those who complain bitterly are more than welcome to open their very own box stores and offer their employees $25/hour and gold plated benefits. Rots o ruck!

Old 01-19-2015, 05:43 PM

1,739 posts, read 1,916,005 times
Blister peanuts assumes a lot. It's not even about the money so much as the way they treat the workers.

They fired my mother after three years after a SINGLE customer complaint.
Said customer was a welfare skank who wouldn't shut up about her food stamps not being enough to feed her litter of five and kept badgering my 73 year old mother to agree with her.

Background: my mother worked 30+ years as a programmer until her job was outsourced and then was faced with age discrimination. Over the years she paid thousands into the system but when she needed help of course she earned "too much" so of course she wasn't sympathetic to the serial breeder.

AND this is only one of the many reasons I hate this place. I will NOT financially support a business that refuses to have its employees backs. THAT is social responsibility.

Old 01-19-2015, 06:29 PM

1,205 posts, read 2,689,263 times
I went to the Crystal Bridges museum of art in Bentonville yesterday. They have the original Rosie the Riveter up there, kind of neat having something like that so close to where I grew up. I had only seen pictures and never knew she was stepping on a Mein Kampf with a swastika on it until I saw the real thing yesterday, weird how they only show the top half of the painting in reprints.

Arkansas is still free from Amazon sales taxes though

Last edited by ArkansasTgirl; 01-19-2015 at 06:38 PM..

Old 01-20-2015, 04:32 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,950,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandon View Post
Blister peanuts assumes a lot. It's not even about the money so much as the way they treat the workers.

Said customer was a welfare skank who wouldn't shut up about her food stamps not being enough to feed her litter of five and kept badgering my 73 year old mother to agree with her.

Background: my mother worked 30+ years as a programmer until her job was outsourced and then was faced with age discrimination. Over the years she paid thousands into the system but when she needed help of course she earned "too much" so of course she wasn't sympathetic to the serial breeder.

AND this is only one of the many reasons I hate this place. I will NOT financially support a business that refuses to have its employees backs. THAT is social responsibility.
Bandon, it's a shame that happened to your mother, but in truth, social responsibility is giving a 70 y.o. a job to supplement her Social Security payments. Not too many corporations out there who are willing to give any kind of work to a septuagenarian. I'm guessing that Mom didn't find another job after losing the WalMart one; age-related no doubt.

I can understand you have a personal reason for your dislike/distrust of the world's largest retailer but suggesting that no one should shop there, thereby throwing hundreds of thousands of people out of work (those pesky unintended consequences) doesn't add up to social responsibility.

Stick to your principles but realize that not everyone has the luxury of sticking to your principles.

Old 01-20-2015, 05:54 AM

6,704 posts, read 5,930,570 times
Quote:
Bandon, it's a shame that happened to your mother, but in truth, social responsibility is giving a 70 y.o. a job to supplement her Social Security payments. Not too many corporations out there who are willing to give any kind of work to a septuagenarian. I'm guessing that Mom didn't find another job after losing the WalMart one; age-related no doubt.

I can understand you have a personal reason for your dislike/distrust of the world's largest retailer but suggesting that no one should shop there, thereby throwing hundreds of thousands of people out of work (those pesky unintended consequences) doesn't add up to social responsibility.

Stick to your principles but realize that not everyone has the luxury of sticking to your principles.
Walmart has a tradition from way back of hiring retirees. I hope they keep it up; I'd like to have a job when I'm 80.

Old 01-20-2015, 06:57 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,904,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandon View Post

I'm so sorry that happened to your mom. I have had a couple of complaints but my supervisors KNOW me and they knew that the complaints were unfounded and, mostly, silly. One lady complained that I didn't talk to her! I did but she ignored me and because I had a long line I just got on with the task at hand. People have very high expectations of customer service people but we are all just human.

I guess I must be really lucky to work at the store I do. They DO have their employees backs and they believe in second chances, depending on what the original complaint was. The only things I've seen people fired for are no call/no shows, theft and using their discount card for friends/family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products