Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2014, 08:55 PM

12,107 posts, read 23,271,144 times

Advertisements

If you are a regular, I'm surprised they didn't take the ten cents out of a penny jar. Human error is allowed and tills are frequently over/under by small amounts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2014, 09:06 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,539,363 times
I would have let you have the large coffee for $2 - but fyi it's $2.10 after today. I mean, what's the difference between the sizes of coffees - 4 oz. or so? 4 oz. of hot water with some coffee bean extract in it is not that big of a deal. Take the coffee and have a good workout. See you tomorrow!

edit: a customer would usually make the coffee, then come to the counter and pay. So that meant you had to go back and refill a small cup? So now a cup/lid has been wasted and the excess coffee was probably dumped down that little drain-thingy.

Old 12-01-2014, 09:25 PM

4,204 posts, read 4,453,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I've been going to this convenience store/gas bar for a couple of years. i generally stop in at 5am before going to the gymn, always get a large coffee, and sometimes a muffin and fill up both my cars there once a week, today as i only wanted coffee i just brought the $2 with me, evidently their price for coffee went up 10 cents over the weekend leaving me 10 cents short, i said i'll pay you the extra 10 cents tomorrow,i was astounded when the usual cash person said i cant do that as my cash wont balance out at the end of the day , really?
I ended up getting a small coffee instead of a big one, but really felt like my patronage to this store wasnt even worth 10 cents
If the convenience store you frequent is affiliated with a national chain (7-11, Circle K, Esso, etc) humor us all and write to corporate about your dilemma and let us know the response when you ask what your loyalty is worth.

Old 12-02-2014, 01:00 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,288,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
I would risk losing a customer over taking money out of MY pocket to pay for their purchase. If management had a policy of letting people buy stuff for below the marked price then you'd get your coffee
I'm curious as to why you think your entitled to purchase products for less than what they cost, and expect someone else to make up the difference, personally I'd never ask for such a thing.
Dave we are talking about a one time dime that i''ll pay back on my next visit,you make it sound like i want everything in the store for free everytime i go there.-
The person at the cash is the night manager and has much discretion on how things go.
For 2 years my usual coffee is $2, unbeknownst to me over the weekend the price is raised 10 cents
i come with just $2 and he wont let me slide on the dime till tomorrow?.
Fine if a dime is that important dont count on getting another one from me, actions have consequences and as of today i'll no longer buy that cup of coffee in the morning at your store neither will i buy all the other items one would buy at the local convenience store,the occasional muffin,quart of milk,loaf of bread,beer lottery tickets, the monthly car wash for my 2 cars and the weekly $50 fillups for each car,
As its a national chain my actions will affect no one but me but in this case its a shame the value of a dime is viewed as more important than a regular customer. the old saying of take care of your customers or some one else will applies as some one else is now going to get that $140 a week.

Last edited by jambo101; 12-02-2014 at 01:26 AM..

Old 12-02-2014, 04:08 AM

1,316 posts, read 1,709,438 times
I gotta agree.

I've been going to a 'quick' store for probably 20 years.
I know the owner and I know the workers.

One day I made a couple of copies (for a big tab of 20 cents).
then realized I hadn't any money with me.

I told the clerk, I'd go to my car and be right back.
She insisted on holding on to my copies.
lol

It hasn't changed my shopping there, as it is convenient, but it sure does show something.

Quote:
Cant dispute your logic Dave, but we arent talking major money and we arent talking about running up a tab and these people i've known and talked to on a daily basis for a couple of years have got to know they'll get their dime tomorrow, If i was a business owner i'd certainly be understanding and accommodating to a regular customer over 10 cents on the price of a cup of coffee whos price went up 10 cents over the weekend..
Obviously this establishment puts no value on my patronage.

Old 12-02-2014, 04:28 AM

23,171 posts, read 26,187,400 times
Under the circumstances you describe, I am amazed the clerk didn't do something to accommodate you.
I never would have demanded it ( as you did not )but most certainly would have expected it and, indeed, have had it happen.

Old 12-02-2014, 07:00 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,990,455 times
Quote:
Dave we are talking about a one time dime that i''ll pay back on my next visit,you make it sound like i want everything in the store for free everytime i go there.
Sure it's only 10 cents for you, what about the next person that's short? Person after that? If they do it for you should they not do it for everyone?

Old 12-02-2014, 10:19 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,288,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Sure it's only 10 cents for you, what about the next person that's short? Person after that? If they do it for you should they not do it for everyone?
What do you think is the likelihood of that happening,? customer after customer coming in and getting everything for free all because he let me slide on a dime for a day..
In my situation being a regular everyday customer i'd call it being neighborly.
Bottom line some one else is now getting $140 a week of my money.

Last edited by jambo101; 12-02-2014 at 10:34 AM..

Old 12-02-2014, 11:33 AM

2,223 posts, read 3,875,226 times
Occasional slips like this are why many convenience stores have a "leave a penny, take a penny" jar.

Problem solved.

As it is you are asking the cashier to either:
1. Personally loan you a dime. Maybe they don't have one. They sure aren't raking in the dough working at Mini Mart.
2. Commit petty (granted-extremely petty) theft. Likely on camera, no less!

It isn't something I'd be hung up on. The cashier was reasonable.

Old 12-02-2014, 12:08 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,833,505 times
Of course; he is only the clerk. He has to make up the difference likely. Why should you be treated any differently than others?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products