Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2014, 02:30 PM

12,068 posts, read 10,350,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I've been going to this convenience store/gas bar for a couple of years. i generally stop in at 5am before going to the gymn, always get a large coffee, and sometimes a muffin and fill up both my cars there once a week, today as i only wanted coffee i just brought the $2 with me, evidently their price for coffee went up 10 cents over the weekend leaving me 10 cents short, i said i'll pay you the extra 10 cents tomorrow,i was astounded when the usual cash person said i cant do that as my cash wont balance out at the end of the day , really?
I ended up getting a small coffee instead of a big one, but really felt like my patronage to this store wasnt even worth 10 cents
I'm on your side. Very strange that the person didn't let you slide. Maybe they just didn't snap for a second there.

Don't they have a little cup on the counter with extra change just for these situations. The "get a penny, leave a penny" cup?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2014, 03:06 PM

14,373 posts, read 18,459,192 times
I've worked retail before. I would NEVER have let even a regular customer slide on 10 cents. You could be written up only 3 times for your drawer coming up short before you got fired. It was only a part-time "fun" gig, but I wouldn't have wanted to risk it.

Stores have policies. I think it's a sign of entitlement that you believe you should be exempt from them and that a low-level employee should take a chance on losing what is likely a vital job to them for your convenience.

Old 12-05-2014, 08:27 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,712,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastguyz View Post
They are running a business. They books have to balance, and if they don't, missing money is called theft or very bad management, and I've seen managers fired for that. You can't be so selfish to think "It's only my 10 cents", it all adds up.

If the business loses a customer over the customer's own incompetence and inability to carry enough money with them, then you aren't a customer worth keeping, because you will find fault with something or someone else that puts your business relationship in jeopardy. What if you had walked out of there and spilled your drug, in this case coffee on the ground, and you don't have anymore money? Are you going to blame them because you only carry exactly what is needed at all times for your purchase? You are trying to punish a business for behaving like a business while you want to behave like a child where you're expecting an adult to come to your rescue. You are an adult, you can't continue to live your life like a child and expecting everyone else to pick up the slack for you.
He doesn't grasp any of this! That's why this thread is still going and gained 3 pages today.

Quote:
Had i known they were going to raise the price over the weekend i would have brought an extra dime.
Since Monday i've spent $110 across the street.
Would you like them to call you prior to increasing prices every time one increases? How about a price decrease? What about gas? That changes daily....sometimes multiple times a day.

Quote:
Or i live in Canada where gas is close to $6 a gallon. as for hissy fit over a dime? seems thats what they decided to do.
Going back to the store? i;ve been talking to these people on a first name basis almost every weekday for the last 2 years,i thought i'd allay their curiosity on why i no longer come in every morning.
Yeah, I'm sure they've been having meetings every shift wondering where you've been. I've got multiple green markers.....what's your point? Plenty of people have them....some have more than others...we all still put our pants on one leg at a time and don't get a fat head over a little green thing.

When I worked for Taco Bell in high school, I was written up using my employee meal what the manager called inappropriate. While working, we were allowed one meal at 50% off. I bought a taco salad and was bringing it home to my mother since she wanted one for dinner. Because I didn't consume my meal during my break, the manager came over to talk to me. She promptly written me up for buying someone else food with my employee meal. I was told if I ever did it again I would be fired on the spot. I never did it again. No idea if it was management who decided this or corporate. Didn't matter. I wasn't risking my job again.

Old 12-05-2014, 08:33 PM

1,522 posts, read 3,012,926 times
I don't think it is a matter of valuing or not valuing a loyal customer, it is the difference between small business and big business. Small businesses have someone with the latitude and common sense to make that decision. Even if they don't have the common sense, they are the ones who ultimately live with that decision. In a big company, they have to make unilateral rules across multiple locations that ensure the business flows smoothly. Unfortunately across 100 or 1000 stores with the latitude to waive a dime or a dollar there will be some employee who doesn't have the common sense to use that authority appropriately. And that's why, to ensure smooth functioning of the business, they say that no one can do that. They may lose a few customers here and there but for the overall good of the organization it makes more sense.

Old 12-06-2014, 01:03 AM

6,227 posts, read 6,951,769 times
Going to a convenience store is very much a luxury in my book. If you aren't willing to pay the amount requested then stay home and brew your own coffee. I admit I always had a bad habit of being low on cash. Nowadays I just pay with my debt card to avoid that.

Old 12-06-2014, 01:31 AM

2,700 posts, read 4,960,955 times
Quote:
Or i live in Canada where gas is close to $6 a gallon. as for hissy fit over a dime? seems thats what they decided to do.
Going back to the store? i;ve been talking to these people on a first name basis almost every weekday for the last 2 years,i thought i'd allay their curiosity on why i no longer come in every morning.
As for the appearance of making a big deal about it? Its a discussion forum and so far its been a good discussion, see that green marker beside my user name?
If you generate good discussion you also might get one..
OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My life is soooo shattered that I don't have a green bar next to my name!!!!!

How will I be able to go on????

Dear Lord please help me!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-06-2014, 04:32 AM

23,178 posts, read 26,316,419 times
Some of these responses are so funny. No wonder there are few examples of common sense displayed anymore,

I visualize the mindless employee standing there staring with their thumb up their butt at a customer gasping for breathe because they inhaled a piece of their donut because corporate told clerks never to come out from behind the counter.
Oh, and I fully expect posts that will say just what protocol they think they should follow rather than break a rule, even if it means delaying help.

Panera Bread , McDonalds and others recognize that there's little benefit to robotic employees so no complaints, please, when these jobs disappear.

McDonald's | Fast Food | Living Wage | McDonlad's Machines
McDonald’s Replacing Cashiers With Machines
".....machines can, “do everything employees do except better"

Old 12-06-2014, 04:49 AM

35,308 posts, read 52,525,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCpl2 View Post
OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My life is soooo shattered that I don't have a green bar next to my name!!!!!

How will I be able to go on????

Dear Lord please help me!!!!!!!!!!!
\
SoCalCpl2 Odd logic to denigrate me for coming up a dime short on a coffee then make fun of that $500 green marker beside my username.

Good point old cold ,if these workers are just unthinking compassionless money takers it wont take much to automate their jobs .

Old 12-06-2014, 08:55 AM

1,522 posts, read 3,012,926 times
Quote:
SoCalCpl2 Odd logic to denigrate me for coming up a dime short on a coffee then make fun of that $500 green marker beside my username.
Sorry man, all that means is that you've been generating page views for city-data to bring in more ad revenue. Where do you think the money comes from to pay that out? They aren't handing out $500 for your great insights. At 20,000 posts over a handful of years you're getting paid something like 2 cents an hour for your efforts. If they were really concerned about quality of posts they would be handing money out to people who have a high average of reputation-to-posts. (Under 1:1 ratio is not winning any prizes)

Not a bad deal on city-data's part as that must work out to something like .0000001 cent an hour when divided across all of the posters.

Last edited by SquareBetterThanAll; 12-06-2014 at 09:10 AM..

Old 12-06-2014, 09:40 AM

4,978 posts, read 5,806,598 times
With that green marker, you had the dime. Just sayin'.....

This thread has gotten very funny.

The store's employees either likely never noticed he was no longer coming in, or they are thankful he is no longer coming in, depending on what they had to put up with. Some behaviors are not worth putting up with - certainly not for $20 in profit per week, and CERTAINLY not risking losing a job over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products