Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2015, 11:32 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,877,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
http://dollreference.com/images/1126christie.jpg

I've seen Black women that look like Christie.
Is that modern Christie or 1960's? Not saying either is impossible but Christie is far more life-like now (then again most dolls and action figures are.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
What's so political about it? It's some of the posters on here that are getting upset and making it a political issue. It started out with me trying to find my 6-year old niece a suitable gift. When I saw the leftovers at my local Target store, I remembered about the controversy of this doll. I could buy her one of the 4 brunette white dolls (they're close enough) to us, but not the same as having a doll of your own heritage. I am seeking input from others on this product.
I was suggesting where the post be moved due to the problems with terms of service for this forum and the issue of racism is political. Maybe Current events is more fitting. As for seeking input, it was more or less if the dolls are racist than if they are truly good dolls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2015, 03:42 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,353,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
At first, I didn't believe the hype. Then, I went to a Target store today to look at one when I was looking for something else. The reality seemed to confirm the video that I saw on YouTube. The white doll "ginger" was the same price as the Latina doll "Alejandra", yet came with a box full of accessories. By contrast, the Alejandra doll came with only her dress and a smile. WTH? In the YouTube video, the lady said the same thing. White dolls come with extras, but minority dolls only come with one outfit.
I had to Google because I'd never heard of these dolls, but it seems to me it's similar to the ongoing Barbie controversy- placing too much significance on toys. I don't think many children look at dolls as role models, they're just toys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products