Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2014, 03:07 PM

604 posts, read 1,501,819 times

Advertisements

Last week I returned an unopened company sealed DVD player at Walmart and since I had lost the receipt the return goes under no receipt return policy which states:
"Walmart's No Receipt policy applies to items returned in a store only. When you return an item without a receipt, you have the option of receiving a cash refund (for purchases under $25), a Gift Card for the amount of the purchase (for purchases over $25) or making an even exchange for the product."

For this they asked me my photo id and noted my driver's license number and gave me a gift card. The return policy doesn't say that I have to show my photo id while returning an item. Also to my understanding to get a gift card I shouldn't need to present my photo id. They asked me to sign a receipt or some receipt sort of paper which had my driver's license number on it and they kept it with them and handed me the gift card.

Any idea why do they ask for photo id and note it along with my return?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2014, 03:12 PM

22,254 posts, read 47,182,535 times
To deter chronic theft for the purpose of returning for cash.

Old 12-31-2014, 03:16 PM

604 posts, read 1,501,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
To deter chronic theft for the purpose of returning for cash.
Oh okay. Never thought about that. Thanks!

Old 12-31-2014, 05:06 PM

13,057 posts, read 20,718,302 times
Yep, its a common practice to steal goods from Walmart and return it to another Walmart and claim you didn't have the receipt. In addition, people have figured out Walmart's sale system and will buy an item on the last day of the sale, hold it for a week and return claiming they purchased it a two days ago and get a refund of the non-sale price. With a receipt, Walmart knows exactly when it was sold and at what price.

Old 01-10-2015, 08:41 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,237,458 times
Target also has a no-receipt policy. Not the ones where I live, anyway. Nor Fred Meyers, a Pacific Northwest discount dept store. Probably all for the same reasons mentioned here. In fact, one day I was at Target customer service and in front of me was a guy trying to return a big of something without a receipt. He was still haggling it out with management when I was done.

Old 01-11-2015, 09:10 AM

587 posts, read 910,990 times
Not sure if it is still the case, but they used to limit how many no receipt returns you did in a six month period.

Old 01-11-2015, 07:57 PM

25,593 posts, read 21,772,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harlowvart View Post
Not sure if it is still the case, but they used to limit how many no receipt returns you did in a six month period.
We were in a store behind a customer and the customer service person the guy that he had used up his 3 returns for the month. He was returning all small items, deodorant and personal care items. She told us that he does this all the time. He had a couple of things that he couldn't return and she actually said "Would you like to take them out in a bag this time." Worse yet, she told us that one church gives low income children a set of sweats and a pack of underwear at Christmas. She said after Christmas, they get a lot of no receipt returns and the adults usually go straight to the cigarette counter with the cash they get back. I suspect that many of the toys and other "goods" given by charitable organizations are probably returned also.

Old 01-11-2015, 08:00 PM

530 posts, read 663,304 times
The charitable organizations that give out the underwear should take indelible pencils or markers and write the kids' names on the items. That will cure the socks for cigarettes problem real fast.

Old 01-11-2015, 09:19 PM

587 posts, read 910,990 times
My mother in law volunteers for a food pantry - the largest/only grocery store in town stopped donating because people were getting food at the food pantry and then trying to return it to the grocery store

Old 01-13-2015, 03:45 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,090,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
Target also has a no-receipt policy. Not the ones where I live, anyway. Nor Fred Meyers, a Pacific Northwest discount dept store. Probably all for the same reasons mentioned here. In fact, one day I was at Target customer service and in front of me was a guy trying to return a big of something without a receipt. He was still haggling it out with management when I was done.
Even with a receipt, Target refunds the current price...not the price you paid. So if you paid $10 and the item is now on clearance for $4.98, you get $4.98. At least that's how my Target rolls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products