Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2015, 03:54 PM

23 posts, read 61,685 times

Advertisements

This question is specifically for all Cooking enthusiastic -

For the past 3 years, I have been using a cheap Bed bath and Beyond Cookware set. This stuff is so crappy that the non-stick layer started pealing off. I would like to go ahead and buy something good that will last me a lifetime.

That begin said, I have read that buying a Cookware set is never efficient, since you don't use most of the stuff. So, I would like to go buy certain specific items that I will use, so far I have the following. Please suggest if these are good enough or if I should add or remove or replace an item.

- 12inch Skillet/Fry-pan - Non-stick (for eggs, pancakes)
- 12inch Skillet/Fry-pan - Triply Stainless Steal (for stir
- 3-4qt Saute Pan - Triply Stainless Steal
- 3-4qt Sauce Pan - Triply Stainless Steal
- Stainless Steal Stockpot with pasta insert (Anything that needs Boiling)
- Roasting Pan (for cooking turkey and chicken)

Should I get anything more?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2015, 04:13 PM

15,114 posts, read 27,595,034 times
I use my set of 3 sizes of stainless STEEL pots often (have had them for many yrs. (Faberware), also have it in the large pot that comes w/a steamer basket insert.
Calphalon Contemporary (I prefer this one to the others) - I have two 2 1 1/2 Qt. pots, one 2 1/2, skillets in 8", 10" and 12", 5 Qt. soup/stock pot, the flat griddle and the ridged one (not sure what it's called) (to be honest, don't need the ridged one at all), and the roaster
I also have a huge soup/stockpot for when I make chicken noodle soup - good size for cooking down an entire cut-up chicken and making stock.
Oh, and also have a stainless steel 12" skillet (some receipts require that and not non-stick).

The Calphalon cleans up beautifully - use utensils that won't scratch (and handwash, even though it says dishwasher safe)

I have a cast iron skillet from late MIL but I honestly don't use it - it's too heavy for me.

Old 01-09-2015, 10:06 PM

2,156 posts, read 3,319,766 times
I have use Calphalon and Analon, though good, they too eventually peel too but not as fast as cheaper brand. When comes to frying and cooking; the best is my Lodge Cast-iron skillet. Downside is it is heavy and you have to hand dry and oil it after every wash.

Old 01-09-2015, 10:23 PM

61,243 posts, read 86,123,788 times
I would recommend good quality stainless steel cookware, nothing coated. I never saw any real cook cooking in those ( except for promotion).
Here are some recommendations:
Best Stainless Steel Cookware Reviews

Additional to that I would buy one oval French Oven pot - it has many uses.
Better spend more money once than buy several times the same cheap cookware.

If you don't want to take an extra care for Lodge Cast Iron - get a Le Creuset's new Signature skillets. Pricey - yes, but will last your, your kids and your grandkids lifetime. Watch Internet for sales.

Old 01-11-2015, 12:48 PM

11,048 posts, read 23,894,206 times
Yup, if you buy the right cookware, you only have to buy it once. We don't have anything with that non-stick surface, it just doesn't last.

Yard sales and thrift shops are great places to get cookware, sometimes estate sales, too. The prices are significantly lower, too. There was a lovely large roaster pan at yesterday's garage sales for $3 that if I didn't already have a nice one, I would have bought.

As for a basic set, you've got a pretty good starter list, although the non-stick fry pan won't last long. If you can find an old cast iron pan that's been well seasoned, it is as good as the new non-stick pans and is extremely durable if handled right. However, those are usually the vintage to antique pans. Lodge cast iron is almost acceptable, Wagner is good and Griswald is best, IMHO, if you can find it, but you only need to get it once. Also, the old cast iron is not only smoother then the new stuff, it weighs a lot less, too.

Tramotina makes pretty good stainless steel pans. They also make good machetes which is where I first heard of them, so for me, finding out they make cookware was interesting. Old Farberware is good stainless, too, and is generally fairly inexpensive at thrift shops and yard sales.

For the actual pans, a good starter set would be three stainless steel pans with lids. Plus a big soup pot with a steamer insert or a separate steamer if you don't have one specifically for the soup pot. Cast iron skillets, probably small medium and large. One with the sloping sides for omelets, if you can find it. A cast iron chicken fryer has higher sides as well as a lid, that's a useful pan for frying chicken as well as making sauces. Plus, a big roasting pan for things like pork shoulder, chickens, turkeys, rack of lamb, beef Wellington, etc. Also some bake ware. A couple of pie pans, a couple of cookie sheets and a pizza pan. May as well get some muffin tins and bread pans, too. Those are very durable in Pyrex. Aluminum is good, tin will rust and any of it with the non-stick surface will die off after awhile. I'm not sure about the new silicon (is it silicon? that bendable plastic stuff, anyway) bake ware.

The SS pans need a heavy bottom, the soup/stock pot doesn't. Old speckle ware is good for stock pots and is generally not too expensive.

Old 01-11-2015, 01:34 PM

12,050 posts, read 10,194,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnat View Post
This question is specifically for all Cooking enthusiastic -

For the past 3 years, I have been using a cheap Bed bath and Beyond Cookware set. This stuff is so crappy that the non-stick layer started pealing off. I would like to go ahead and buy something good that will last me a lifetime.

That begin said, I have read that buying a Cookware set is never efficient, since you don't use most of the stuff. So, I would like to go buy certain specific items that I will use, so far I have the following. Please suggest if these are good enough or if I should add or remove or replace an item.

- 12inch Skillet/Fry-pan - Non-stick (for eggs, pancakes)
- 12inch Skillet/Fry-pan - Triply Stainless Steal (for stir
- 3-4qt Saute Pan - Triply Stainless Steal
- 3-4qt Sauce Pan - Triply Stainless Steal
- Stainless Steal Stockpot with pasta insert (Anything that needs Boiling)
- Roasting Pan (for cooking turkey and chicken)

Should I get anything more?
I like Calphalon for non stick. I buy it at a discount store, because I don't expect it to last. I even bought expensive kind and it didn't last. Can't remember the name. I have stainless pans, but never use them.

Do have stainless pot set made by ScanPan and I love them. Have them over ten years now and still look great.

I would get ten and eight inch non stick pans too. A chef pan, a big wok like thing and another oversized deep fry pan. I bought a cheap one at the grocery store and comes in handy. And of course a couple Dutch ovens.

Old 01-11-2015, 01:40 PM

12,050 posts, read 10,194,511 times
Al-clad! That is the brand of non stick I purchased. Looked terrible after a year or so of use. I had two sizes. I was mad and threw them in the trash! Back to Calphalon. At least they weren't 100 bucks each.

I do have al-clad stainless, but frankly, too lazy to do the prep to make sure things do not stick. Heat the pan, add oil, heat that, make sure the items you are going to cook are not freezing cold. That will make them stick.

Old 01-11-2015, 02:43 PM

15,114 posts, read 27,595,034 times
I've had the Calphalon for prob. 8-10 yrs. - looks great.

Old 01-12-2015, 01:05 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,247,444 times
We like Nordic Ware a lot but have only skillets.

Old 01-12-2015, 10:56 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,423,119 times
I bought the CostCo Kirkland brand version of the non-stick about a year ago and have been very happy with it. Very inexpensive compared to similar brands and has held up well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products