Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2015, 02:04 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
This exposes you to greater risk! I would NEVER be foolish enough to show my id with my home address to a random check out clerk. If you do that you set yourself up for credit card theft and fraud. The cashier can look at your credit card and memorize the number. Then they look at the back of the credit card and get the 3 digit security code. Then if one lets the cashier look at their id, they give the cahsier their name and billing address.

Now they have everything they need to do an online gift order to a foreign country using your information!!
If you are that paranoid you should use cash only.
Do you honestly believe that anyone can memorize the numbers on your credit card that quickly?
Unless they have a photographic memory it is highly unlikely that will ever happen.

I use my passport as my identification.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2015, 02:26 PM

3,245 posts, read 6,302,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Do you honestly believe that anyone can memorize the numbers on your credit card that quickly?
Unless they have a photographic memory it is highly unlikely that will ever happen.
I can memorize a credit card number in 10 seconds. Anyone can easily learn to do this if they read the memory books by Harry Lorayne or various other authors. I agree it is unlikely to happen at a checkout lane but it is very likely to happen at a restaurant where the waiter takes your card. He could write your credit card number down and then get your billing address when coming back to check your driver license.

Quote:
Thats a good idea. No home address on a passport.

Old 01-31-2015, 02:41 PM

738 posts, read 999,922 times
Quote:
If you are that paranoid you should use cash only.

I use my military ID and regardless of what the agreement says, I've never had a problem with a store accepting a card without a signature and the words "SEE PHOTO ID" imprinted across the entire signature line in permanent black marker.

Ya wanna know what annoys me more than being asked for an ID?...Being asked by my bank about what I intend to do with a large sum of money I want to withdraw from my account. Now THAT'S annoying!

RVcook

Old 01-31-2015, 02:48 PM

3,245 posts, read 6,302,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Hospitality View Post
Actually the clerks are doing the opposite of following instructions. The merchant agreement for most credit cards instruct the cashiers NOT to ask for ID as a process of the transaction as long as the credit card has a signature on the back.
Mastercard has an online complaint form to report merchants who violate the terms of service by requiring an id for a Mastercard purchase.

Ask MasterCard | Merchant Violations | Customer Service

Old 01-31-2015, 03:11 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,770,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Hospitality View Post
With Visa, MasterCard, and Discover the clerks should require you to sign the card before it can be used. These cards are invalid without your signature on the signature line.
I have all 3. All 3 say " see ID". I've never had issues with the cards not being accepted.

At the USPS, there is a sign that says a CC must be signed to use it there, so I just use cash there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
Why is your signature not on your card?
To ensure it is I who is using the card and not Freeloader Freddie.

Old 01-31-2015, 03:34 PM

2,151 posts, read 1,356,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
I have all 3. All 3 say " see ID". I've never had issues with the cards not being accepted.
I don't understand why clerks/merchants breach the contracts. I'm surprised that you encourage this illegal behavior.

Old 01-31-2015, 04:02 PM

46,963 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
"can I see your ID?

I get so mad it's like I almost want to throw it at the person because I feel like I am being judged and looked at as a thief. I'm not some 18 year old kid wearing a hoodie with his first credit card who may look like he is up to no good. I am a grown man over 30 coming from work dressed in my business attire so it's so easy for me to get annoyed. Plus I find it funny how real criminals can steal people's credit card and go on a shopping spree at target and not be asked for no ID

Does anyone else get asked this question when using a credit card?
You need to use the secret passphrase. The correct answer is "ID? Don't you know who I am?" - try it, and watch how they warm up to you instantly.

Old 01-31-2015, 04:11 PM

25,964 posts, read 22,126,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtechno View Post
There are times I thought of, and for a while I did, printing "Check for Photo ID" in the signature portion of my cards.
That is what we always do "Check Photo ID". Also, it is my understanding from one of the clerk's that the cash register "asks" not her/him. Not a big deal to us.

Old 01-31-2015, 04:35 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,409,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
Mastercard has an online complaint form to report merchants who violate the terms of service by requiring an id for a Mastercard purchase.

Ask MasterCard | Merchant Violations | Customer Service

Yep, and a whole team of dedicated employees with a direct hotline to the FBI. Even now, as we speak, they are diligently pursuing credit card thieves, for which the penalities are swift, certain, and merciless

Old 01-31-2015, 04:53 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,252,530 times
All this talk about hoodies, as if they were the very definition of crime.

Racists associate hoodies with black teenagers, and black teenagers with crime. For those reasons, a racist won't wear a hoodie. But they should, especially in climates like mine, where the weather is, more often than not, good for a hoodie. A lot of your body heat escapes through your head, as does some of your IQ.

Because of the big difference the hood makes, a hoodie is very adaptable to changes in temperature. Simply put the hood on when the temperature goes down, and off when it goes up. That covers the day/night difference in a lot of places most of the year, except summer. In winter, if you aren't going to be outdoors very long, just to walk from your car to a store, it covers a very wide range of temperatures. And a hoodie is a lot lighter than a winter coat, which makes it a lot more comfortable indoors, so you don't have to take your coat off everywhere you go indoors.

The main disadvantage of a hoodie is that when you're running away from a cop with your hood off, it's easier for him to "collar" you, by grabbing the hood from behind. Also some dogs like to eat hoods, especially if the person wearing the hoodie is slow to feed the dog. You have to be careful, because a big dog can actually strangle you by eating the hood. And of course you have to be careful that the hoodie strings don't get in your soup. But other than those minor disadvantages, hoodies are great. Children have always worn them a lot, even when today's senior citizens were children. But they come in all sizes. You can even get them from King Size, even if you weigh hundreds of pounds and are as tall as a basketball net.

People who do manual labor all day might not like hoodies, because heat loss from their head helps keep them cool in spite of their higher metabolism from the work. And because there are too many freak accidents involving the hood getting caught in something. But if you're a white collar worker (no racism implied by the word "white") then they're perfect for you in most locations, unless your job requires you to wear more formal clothing such as a tie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products