Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2020, 05:17 AM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
3,095 posts, read 2,045,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaMay View Post
My grandsons’ school, which is one of the top academic schools in
Sydney, had the high school kids vote on paper versus digital textbooks
and they chose paper. They can go online at home but they use paper
and pencils, textbooks and even old fashioned diaries in class.

There is hope after all!

Maybe those promising pupils will also choose walking into stores to buy something, interacting with human staff, over online shopping.

Last edited by TheGrandK-Man; 11-07-2020 at 05:35 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2020, 07:06 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,158,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandK-Man View Post
Interesting you should mention how you consume books.

There was a study conducted some years ago, where a sample of 1000 people were told they would be able to read a favorite book of theirs, keep the book, and receive a free eye exam after the reading.

They all had to vote on a favorite out of 5 NY Times best sellers. The winning novel was given to 500 of the participants in hard copy form, and in digital download to the other 500, onto a tablet or e-reader of their choice.

They were all given one month to read the voted-upon book, and during the month after that, they all received free comprehensive eye-exams, not just reading the letters across the examining room.

(snip rest of anecdote)
Uh huh. List the study, as in provide a link. Or far better, provide a peer-reviewed study that establishes the claims, vs. a "New York Times" story or other rubbish hit-piece publication, opinion masquerading as "news". That rag would be thrilled if everyone burned their tablets tomorrow, I'm sure.

Hmm. When did this allegedly occur, 1999? Users on CRT screens, maybe, like we used to deal with? Which actually did strain the eyes and necessitated frequent breaks when I first got into IT c. 1993 all the way to (about) 2004 when flat screen LCDs became accessible

I've had iPad, then Android tablets, since they came out in 2010. That really ramped up the eBook thing for me, and I joined Kindle when it was available (about the same time, I'm guessing). I've purchased damn few paper books since.

Looking at my Kindle (and other formats) library and history, I've read 100-200 eBook books in those ten years. My eyes are fine. I'm 53 years old. Tablet makers include blue light filters and other anti eye-irritation technology. I am in IT and stare at LCD and OLED screens from c. 7am - 7pm 5/days week, and weekend time, in addition to tablet time for aforementioned books. Other than the myopia diagnosed at age 13 and the presbyopia that started when I was (about) 45, not a thing wrong with my eyes or anyone else's I work with, near as I can tell.

Color me skeptical.

Old 11-16-2020, 10:49 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,880,612 times
Yes.

Old 11-16-2020, 07:23 PM

12,788 posts, read 15,017,507 times
Fiance' & I got 3 mags just the other day from B&N.

Old 11-17-2020, 05:31 AM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
3,095 posts, read 2,045,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
Fiance' & I got 3 mags just the other day from B&N.
At some points I have had newspapers and magazines lying open in every room in the house!

I'd stop and read a couple pages in one room, then pick up on another subject downstairs, etc.

Drives wifey crazy, but is intellectually edifying!

Old 11-17-2020, 07:21 AM

1,305 posts, read 858,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
Due to COVID, I wouldn't be surprised if more people buy mags. (BTW, that $8 price for 4 mags I got are 1-yr subscriptions, not just 4 issues).

What 4 did you get? I got:
  • Real Simple
  • Health
  • Eating Well
  • All Recipes
Just checked back on this thread....maybe I just got three or forgot the fourth! Anyway, the three I remember are

*Real Simple
*Martha Stewart Living
*Better Homes and Gardens

Sounds like I'm a lot fancier than I actually am! More like supporting my fantasy life-style!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products