Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2017, 07:55 AM

3,759 posts, read 5,853,701 times

Advertisements

We still take several magazines so I guess we are "old people". I am getting ready to take a load of old ones to our Library thrift store. I don't buy that many CDs but still enjoy them as well as my old vinyls. As far as DVDs, haven't rented them in many years. We have a smart TV and Amazon Prime but haven't figured out how to watch movies through it. LOL I really don't' like going to the theater but wife wants to go so we go rarely. Saw FF Jennings last Fall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2017, 08:00 AM

2,411 posts, read 1,973,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
I'm amassing a big DVD and CD collection right now. Prices are so low that it would be a crime not to do so.
Me too!

I don't have any iTunes or the like anyway and I don't use my cellphone as a computer (it is a smartphone with all internet access turned off) but I can see many good reasons to have 'hard copies' of entertainment videos/discs as long as I still have any hardware that will still play them.

Old 02-06-2017, 01:05 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,525,465 times
I still read real books and listen to books on CD in the car. I rarely buy books, however, but use the local library. If there's a particular book I can't find at the library, I'll buy it on the cheap on eBay and then donate it to the library.

I have never downloaded music; still have CDs. I have a bunch of cassette tapes but no way to listen to them.

I watch movies on DVD through Netflix's traditional mail service. I do have a dual VCR/DVD player and watch a video once in awhile.

I read real newspapers 5-7 days/week. Also follow news and current events online. Also still have a few magazine subscriptions.

I finally got a smartphone a year and a half ago. Use it to text (rarely) and check e-mail, but don't use it for the internet.

And, yes, I'm an "old" person. I'll be 65 later this year.

Old 02-07-2017, 11:06 AM

5,249 posts, read 3,604,666 times
Not a one, I will read actual books but not buy any; newspapers & magazines were probably my last holdouts, but now I prefer online - no piles of unread stuff clogging my place. I digitized my very extensive CD collection a few years ago - a real job - & divide my time evenly between playing my digitized music & streaming from Amazon. I have yet to attempt to digitize my vinyl - I have the software but it seems to have no appeal... & I haven't played an LP in years.

All my viewing is from streaming Roku or internet sources no dvds or cable tv.

I just turned 65.

Old 02-07-2017, 04:14 PM

2,790 posts, read 1,642,228 times
I still buy CDs and DVDs.

I still prefer to read on paper, not on any screen or e-reader at all. I'm not a reader, but if I do read, I'll borrow a book from the library.

Old 02-08-2017, 06:56 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,046,768 times
When people say that "nobody", or "everybody" does this, or doesn't do that. . .I chuckle. How would someone know what 'everyone' or "no one" in the world is doing?

Old 02-10-2017, 11:35 PM

37,590 posts, read 45,950,883 times
I buy CDs, and books. I don't care for reading eBooks. And I love music, and prefer the full sound of a CD over compressed digital files, at home.

Old 02-11-2017, 02:39 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,825,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeniusGirl800
Everything has gone digital these days. Nobody buys albums......
Some of us do.... Some of us are very anti-digital... (We hate it)

I love analogue........ I buy records,cassettes,VHS tapes,8 tracks,etc.....

I want to get a VIDEODISC player also to get some movies I CANNOT GET on VHS... (They have been digitally altered)

Old 02-14-2017, 12:23 PM

11,046 posts, read 6,632,416 times
I was a library fiend....love my books! But when leaving the States, forced to get a Kindle. I cannot believe how expensive e-books are! Ridiculous when there is no physical product. So I just get the el-cheapo features on BookBub. No way I'm spending 7 to 10 bucks for electronic books! The Kindle I got is so dim, I cannot read it on low light. There are no page numbers, nor does the title of the book appear on each page so I forget what I'm reading. I worry about it getting stolen and would rather have my paper books if I could get 'em. But I'm glad to have it.

Love my CD's. Never bought any DVD's as we got them through Netflix before we went all-streaming. Now they have dropped so much content too. But we are very thankful for Netflix....

I do miss the movies as we would go once in awhile if it was 3-D and/or Imax. No more of that.

As someone else said, there is so much less clutter without magazines and newspapers...we get all that online.

Old 02-14-2017, 12:59 PM

711 posts, read 687,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
I was a library fiend....love my books! But when leaving the States, forced to get a Kindle. I cannot believe how expensive e-books are! Ridiculous when there is no physical product. So I just get the el-cheapo features on BookBub. No way I'm spending 7 to 10 bucks for electronic books! The Kindle I got is so dim, I cannot read it on low light. There are no page numbers, nor does the title of the book appear on each page so I forget what I'm reading. I worry about it getting stolen and would rather have my paper books if I could get 'em. But I'm glad to have it.

Love my CD's. Never bought any DVD's as we got them through Netflix before we went all-streaming. Now they have dropped so much content too. But we are very thankful for Netflix....

I do miss the movies as we would go once in awhile if it was 3-D and/or Imax. No more of that.

As someone else said, there is so much less clutter without magazines and newspapers...we get all that online.
I still buy mostly paperback books for a couple reasons -

-I've found that even with older titles, a used paperback will cost a couple $$ less than an e-book.
-Sharing!! I have a few friends that I like to trade books with. Can't be done with e-books.

I do still buy magazines from time to time too. I've given up subscriptions since they tended to pile up but it's still a bit of a treat to splurge on a couple magazines and settle in with a cup of tea and a cookie. Somehow doing the same thing surfing around digitally just doesn't seem as indulgent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products