Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2015, 09:12 AM

2,062 posts, read 2,546,753 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
A few months ago UPS delivered a package for someone else to my house by mistake. It took over a week to contact them to tell them to pick it up and deliver it correctly. Their website and 800 number are geared only toward packages that you have a tracking number for. Very shoddy in my opinion. At least with USPS you can go down to the post office and talk to someone in person if need be.

And Fed Ex uses USPS for some deliveries. I found out the hard way when I ordered a package online. I don't get mail at my house so they couldn't deliver it! Had to wait til it was returned to the warehouse and then get it shipped to my office.

The last thing I want is for that particular post office to be involved in the delivery of my letter ever again. Ups is bad, Fed Ex will use that post office USPS is out what do I do now? I guess I should drive there and put the letter into the mailbox myself?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2015, 09:26 AM

2,464 posts, read 6,466,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguardisle View Post

Has anyone else had problems using USPS ?
USPS sucks in my area. Badly.

1.) Mailman puts wrong mail into my mailbox and my mail... who knows where it goes. This has happened at least one-twice a month for the past 3 years.

2.) Whether it rains or shines my mail (or someone else's mail) isn't placed fully inside the mailbox... he leaves it sticking halfway out. So I get either soaked mail or mail that says to everyone that walks by my house a "I'm not here" sign.

3.) I moved my mailbox under the eve and closer to my house because a.) my mail won't get soaked b.) it's not obvious no one is home when my mail is sticking out.

4.) Because I moved my mailbox 15 steps into my property...

they stopped delivering my mail. You have to get "permission" to move your mailbox by the post master AND it has to be approved by the mail carrier. Everyone else in my neighborhood has their mailbox on their house (except the people who lived in the house before me put the mailbox on the street).

which led to

5.) no mail for a week with no notes telling me why. The mail carrier of course said he left notes and I stated that I have security cameras that have no sign of him approaching my door. I win. But not really...

which led to

6.) Greeting cards and presents for my kids being held during Christmas and orders I placed being rerouted.

7.) So I forwarded my mail but do you think the USPS can forward mail seamlessly?

The answer to that my friends is... No.

8.) So the PO Box my husband keeps for rent checks (for the past 15 years) moved in December. But they decided that a paid for mailbox should be closed because... well... why not?

9). That led to a week of mail/packages getting returned to sender.

10.) Ooops they said.

11.) I wasn't getting mail forwarded to the PO Box... because... well... who knows. So I went to the main post office and lo and behold, I had mail held there - still. Three weeks worth. Even after forwarding the mail to the PO BOX. The response to that was - "oops. Maybe you have to reforward it (even if you get a confirmation letter because, hey, confirmation letters don't mean anything.)."

SO, everything I have is electronically sent that can be. Nothing gets sent to my house by USPS (only UPS). I implore friends and family to use anything except USPS if they actually want us to get it.

It was an ugly break up. But I'm better off now. I just wish I would have broken up with them years ago. UPS is there for me now and my delivery guy is nice and hot.

Old 02-05-2015, 11:34 AM

12,382 posts, read 8,136,596 times
Quote:
That is a funny conclusion. Are you saying they dumbed down the postal exam ?
More like deemphasized it. Before who ever scored highest on a pattern and mistake noticing test with military veterans preferences added in were hired. Now there are more ethical questions and an competitive interview to factor in.

Old 02-06-2015, 01:41 PM

172 posts, read 239,222 times
Quote:
That is a funny conclusion. Are you saying they dumbed down the postal exam ?
Yes. It isn't even arguable.

The job paid enough to be attractive to a pretty wide swath of people but their testing requirements selected for higher intelligence, which is a TERRIBLE fit for menial work. The result was a bunch of intelligent people of lower ambition wound up becoming postal workers because it was the highest paying government job that demanded the least. When they had two shooting incidents on the same day by postal workers in two completely different states, they realized they had to figure out why this was happening.

Put a large group of marginally bright people into an extremely menial job and have them do it for a long time, a fringe group among them will snap.

Hiring people 'more intellectually suited to the work' was the answer and that is why a post office in 2015 looks completely different than one in 1985.

Old 02-09-2015, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommabear2 View Post
USPS sucks in my area. Badly.

1.) Mailman puts wrong mail into my mailbox and my mail... who knows where it goes. This has happened at least one-twice a month for the past 3 years.

2.) Whether it rains or shines my mail (or someone else's mail) isn't placed fully inside the mailbox... he leaves it sticking halfway out. So I get either soaked mail or mail that says to everyone that walks by my house a "I'm not here" sign.

3.) I moved my mailbox under the eve and closer to my house because a.) my mail won't get soaked b.) it's not obvious no one is home when my mail is sticking out.

4.) Because I moved my mailbox 15 steps into my property...

they stopped delivering my mail. You have to get "permission" to move your mailbox by the post master AND it has to be approved by the mail carrier. Everyone else in my neighborhood has their mailbox on their house (except the people who lived in the house before me put the mailbox on the street).

which led to

5.) no mail for a week with no notes telling me why. The mail carrier of course said he left notes and I stated that I have security cameras that have no sign of him approaching my door. I win. But not really...

which led to

6.) Greeting cards and presents for my kids being held during Christmas and orders I placed being rerouted.

7.) So I forwarded my mail but do you think the USPS can forward mail seamlessly?

The answer to that my friends is... No.

8.) So the PO Box my husband keeps for rent checks (for the past 15 years) moved in December. But they decided that a paid for mailbox should be closed because... well... why not?

9). That led to a week of mail/packages getting returned to sender.

10.) Ooops they said.

11.) I wasn't getting mail forwarded to the PO Box... because... well... who knows. So I went to the main post office and lo and behold, I had mail held there - still. Three weeks worth. Even after forwarding the mail to the PO BOX. The response to that was - "oops. Maybe you have to reforward it (even if you get a confirmation letter because, hey, confirmation letters don't mean anything.)."

SO, everything I have is electronically sent that can be. Nothing gets sent to my house by USPS (only UPS). I implore friends and family to use anything except USPS if they actually want us to get it.

It was an ugly break up. But I'm better off now. I just wish I would have broken up with them years ago. UPS is there for me now and my delivery guy is nice and hot.

Sorry to hear of your problems. I hope your break up is a happy one.

Old 02-09-2015, 05:49 PM

Update everyone: As of today new information came on the usps website about my restricted delivery letter. It appears to be slowly making it's way back to me labeled unclaimed with no sign in the tracking info that a delivery attempt was ever actually made. Their main post office in Ocala where it was sent still has a phone number that doesnt work. I called usps and actually got through this time to a human and put in another complaint.

Old 02-09-2015, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
More like deemphasized it. Before who ever scored highest on a pattern and mistake noticing test with military veterans preferences added in were hired. Now there are more ethical questions and an competitive interview to factor in.
How is it working?

Old 02-09-2015, 07:51 PM

12,382 posts, read 8,136,596 times
Quote:
How is it working?
I'm really not sure we have only recently started hiring again after 8 years. And now there is a new lower tier of part time employment with less pay and no guarantee of being a career hire that new employees must survive.

On the going postal side technology has increasingly replaced those distribution clerks who were those most likely to be victims of nanny management and snap. Maybe up to 30% of the force. The remaining employee is more likely to feed a machine rather then be written up because he stretched while manually routing a mail piece.

Old 02-10-2015, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StAugustine View Post
Yes. It isn't even arguable.

The job paid enough to be attractive to a pretty wide swath of people but their testing requirements selected for higher intelligence, which is a TERRIBLE fit for menial work. The result was a bunch of intelligent people of lower ambition wound up becoming postal workers because it was the highest paying government job that demanded the least. When they had two shooting incidents on the same day by postal workers in two completely different states, they realized they had to figure out why this was happening.

Put a large group of marginally bright people into an extremely menial job and have them do it for a long time, a fringe group among them will snap.

Hiring people 'more intellectually suited to the work' was the answer and that is why a post office in 2015 looks completely different than one in 1985.

They are the first ones who started this whole shooting rampage thing aren't they ?

Old 02-10-2015, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
I'm really not sure we have only recently started hiring again after 8 years. And now there is a new lower tier of part time employment with less pay and no guarantee of being a career hire that new employees must survive.

On the going postal side technology has increasingly replaced those distribution clerks who were those most likely to be victims of nanny management and snap. Maybe up to 30% of the force. The remaining employee is more likely to feed a machine rather then be written up because he stretched while manually routing a mail piece.

You think the management is partly responsible for some postal working going " postal" ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products