Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2015, 07:19 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,992,098 times

Advertisements

UPS To Begin Tacking On Surcharges For Residential Delivery
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2015, 07:33 AM

2,062 posts, read 2,548,232 times
So they are raising their prices?

Old 02-04-2015, 07:50 AM

12,386 posts, read 8,146,609 times
They are raising prices to individual homes. They are likely also to turn over more stuff to the postal service for that last mile while their drivers deliver more items to businesses. They are trying to hold the price for business customers where they can offer a price break where their big competitor the USPS is forbidden to. Where FedEx ground contractors will fall in this big game is unknown to me.

Old 02-04-2015, 10:40 AM

3,401 posts, read 1,235,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
They are raising prices to individual homes. They are likely also to turn over more stuff to the postal service for that last mile while their drivers deliver more items to businesses. They are trying to hold the price for business customers where they can offer a price break where their big competitor the USPS is forbidden to. Where FedEx ground contractors will fall in this big game is unknown to me.
The combination of the two services is like the worst of both worlds. UPS has dropped off packages at a post office 5 miles from my house only for the post office to send them to a sorting facility in New Jersey!

Businesses won't have to pay extra because, unlike you and me, they often get multiple packages at once, while we just get that one box of stuff we bought online. Also, most businesses are along major routes that the drivers will be on anyway.

One way I thought of to get around this, if your boss or office allows it, is to get your package delivered to the work address. My mother once said that she has someone at her office that buys a lot on amazon and, since she lives in the city and is afraid of package thieves, gets it delivered to the office. Although she must have had a real fun time trying to get a heavy coffee table back to her home!

Old 02-04-2015, 12:37 PM

6,820 posts, read 9,056,827 times
I wonder how this will affect companies like Amazon who offer free shipping with Prime. I'm happier getting UPS deliveries. Sometimes USPS comes later in the day.

Old 02-04-2015, 05:44 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,878,282 times
I usually see 4 or 5 different UPS trucks speeding around in my small little residential area of the neighborhood daily. This many “different” trucks racing through the area would have to cost extra money for the company, guess that’s one reason for their additional surcharge…………………

Old 02-06-2015, 07:51 PM

384 posts, read 734,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
I wonder how this will affect companies like Amazon who offer free shipping with Prime. I'm happier getting UPS deliveries. Sometimes USPS comes later in the day.
Amazon will just jack up the prices on all items

Old 02-08-2015, 06:29 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,050,932 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by veritasveritas View Post
Bingo! Nearly every time I see "free shipping", "shipping included", I have to think they increased the price of the item(s) to cover the shipping costs.

Old 02-08-2015, 07:38 AM

23,864 posts, read 24,105,148 times
They don't already? FedEx has been doing it forever.

Quote:
I wonder how this will affect companies like Amazon who offer free shipping with Prime.
Quote:
Not likely. I'm sure Amazon has a negotiated contract with UPS, FedEx, OnTrac, etc. Their rates aren't going to change.

Old 02-08-2015, 09:55 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,017,382 times
Quote:
No, they would just increase the amount you need to spend for free shipping. A lot of the items sold on Amazon are through different vendors, I wouldn't think Amazon could force everyone in the Market Place to raise their prices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products