Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 11:11 AM

161 posts, read 255,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage 80 View Post
I would not pay HSN if I were you. Your "friend" already tricked you, and you still trust him?

I doubt you will get any money from this "friend."

Go to Legal Aid for advice before you do anything.
I have talked to them, they told me to file a complain lol. Honestly I don't really know what to do, a part of me just want to pay the company, then later deal with my friend, because I want to avoid all trouble. Another I want to report to the police, but not sure if it is really useful since my friend stays in a foreign country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2015, 12:00 PM

16,070 posts, read 21,144,062 times
If you want to avoid the hassle of fighting the vendor then by all means pay the money, but don't expect that the other person will pay you back. You can just chalk it up as a very expensive way to learn a hard lesson.

Old 02-24-2015, 12:16 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,017,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max100 View Post
I did and he told me, he gave cash to another person,and that person ordered those perfume.
Your "friend" used a stolen credit card to order the goods.

Old 02-24-2015, 01:26 PM

2,062 posts, read 2,548,985 times
Quote:
No, you don't understand me. Let me describe the whole thing again.

In Dec 2014 my friend told me that he bought some perfume online , and these perfume were sent to my home address. I have already received those perfume bottles, and mailed those bottles to another cargo service , so that the cargo service could mail the perfumes to my friend in his country. Basically I am just the middle man.

That cargo service has already sent the items to my friend and he received all 22 perfume bottles last month. And now the seller of those perfume bottles is trying to ask me for money, because they believe I ordered those perfume.

Who paid for the cargo service?Did you make the arrangements with the cargo service ?

Old 02-24-2015, 01:26 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,342,958 times
Quote:
My friend contacted me and he agreed to pay me in two weeks, so I am going to pay HSN to get things done, however I will demand HSN to give me the following items : invoice, tracking number and IP address of the computer that was used to place order.
Well your friend is going to pay you in two weeks. Tell HSN that your friend has promised to pay you and that you will forward the money to them. Do not pay out of your own money.

Just wondering, Why couldn't HSN ship to his country?

As far as any threats from HSN or a collection agency, if your information was not used, your social security number, your account number, or any legal information then let them talk all they want. Don't let people bully you into paying for something that you did not purchase.

Old 02-24-2015, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguardisle View Post
Who paid for the cargo service?Did you make the arrangements with the cargo service ?
My friend made UPS label . However he put my name as the sender.

Quote:
As far as any threats from HSN or a collection agency, if your information was not used, your social security number, your account number, or any legal information then let them talk all they want. Don't let people bully you into paying for something that you did not purchase.
They know my name and address. I think that's enough information for collection agency.

Old 02-24-2015, 03:01 PM

399 posts, read 407,013 times
You're just going in circles now. People have given you advice and you refuse to take it so what's your point in drawing this out? The bottom line is that you're an accessory to a crime. Doesn't matter whether you knew it or not. Your actions are those of a guilty person. You took possession of stolen goods and shipped it off to your accomplice in a foreign country. Everyone can play the "I'm ignorant. I had no idea what was going on."-card but actions speak louder than words. If you REALLY want to prove your innocence then pay HSN what's owed to them and chalk it up as a lesson not to make shady shipping deals with random friends in foreign countries. Stupidity comes at a price. You're going to have to pay one way or another. Shelling out the cash to settle the debt is your least expensive option. Pay it and move on.

Old 02-24-2015, 03:02 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,342,958 times
Quote:

They know my name and address. I think that's enough information for collection agency.
They can't attach their threat to your money. They don't know your personal information other than your address. They don't know what you look like, they have no financial information on you.

Old 02-24-2015, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KazChasey View Post
You're just going in circles now. People have given you advice and you refuse to take it so what's your point in drawing this out? The bottom line is that you're an accessory to a crime. Doesn't matter whether you knew it or not. Your actions are those of a guilty person. You took possession of stolen goods and shipped it off to your accomplice in a foreign country. Everyone can play the "I'm ignorant. I had no idea what was going on."-card but actions speak louder than words. If you REALLY want to prove your innocence then pay HSN what's owed to them and chalk it up as a lesson not to make shady shipping deals with random friends in foreign countries. Stupidity comes at a price. You're going to have to pay one way or another. Shelling out the cash to settle the debt is your least expensive option. Pay it and move on.
OK, I am going to pay them , but I am also going to report to the police as well. I have learned my lesson.

Old 02-24-2015, 03:47 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,681,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Maleman View Post
The company cannot report a debt to the credit agencies without your Social Security#. If the vendor suspects fraud it is their responsibility, or the responsibility of the credit card issuer, to report it to the authorities. If they do this law enforcement will then contact you and you can cooperate by giving your friend's information to them. The next time they call you, simply tell them very clearly not to call you again.
They can't do anything to you, and they are required by law to stop calling you when you tell them to. You're stressing yourself over nothing. As long as you have legitimate contact information for your friend and really had no knowledge of the fraud, you'll be fine. There is no proof that any crime was committed, that would be determined by an investigation, and you can clear yourself as a suspect by cooperating.
What he said. Also, HSN didn't ship anything without running the credit card and finding it was valid. The credit card holder may be in on the scam, and certainly challenged the charges.

At such time as you are contacted by a collection agency, don't run your mouth. Just ask them to send along a hard copy of your file. Chances are they have nothing. Also, their losses are not the retail value of the perfume, but the wholesale value. It's likely that is around 30% of the sale price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products