Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 02:12 PM

658 posts, read 719,665 times

Advertisements

Amazon: Buy, anything, everything, and prime service is just unbeatable. I don't know, I just love the Subscribe & Save features...bought once, cancel subscription anytime. Free shipping on thousands of items. If you're a frugal one, the use of Subscribe & Save can save a lot in the long run.

Newegg: Electronic stuffs, especially computer gears, just love it...Can't go wrong with their free shipping most of items as well.

B&H Video: No tax sales, where can you get this nowadays? Besides ABT.com, everywhere else charging sales tax left and right, these guys have great price and affordable.

Nordstrom: I shop clothing here, their service is the best...return items without questioning and no time limit. Their business model is just top notch that others should follow.

I also shop various other sites.

Do you have a list of favorite shopping sites that you can share with shoppers?

do share....

PS: If there is one thread like this already posted, please delete this thread and point me to where they at?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2015, 03:33 PM

2,520 posts, read 3,064,423 times
Nowhere! My small, community bank just instituted a minimum balance for customers' checking accounts. Ouch! I'll be searching under the sofa cushions for ramen noodle money!

Old 03-30-2015, 09:54 PM

15,546 posts, read 11,927,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ameridreamNoT View Post
B&H Video: No tax sales, where can you get this nowadays?
Most (all?) companies don't charge sale's tax if the company doesn't have a location in your particular state. B&H is located in New York. If you live anywhere in the state of New York, they do charge sales tax. With Amazon, I think it is if they have a warehouse in your state, then they are required to charge sales tax. About half the states are charges sales tax on Amazon.

Old 03-30-2015, 10:38 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,003,023 times
Quote:
No tax sales, where can you get this nowadays? Besides ABT.com, everywhere else charging sales tax left and right
Does your state have sales and use tax? If so, then you can't purchase anything without paying taxes on it.

Old 03-30-2015, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Most (all?) companies don't charge sale's tax if the company doesn't have a location in your particular state. B&H is located in New York. If you live anywhere in the state of New York, they do charge sales tax. With Amazon, I think it is if they have a warehouse in your state, then they are required to charge sales tax. About half the states are charges sales tax on Amazon.
What does it matter? Even if they don't charge you tax, you have to pay the taxes. It's just extra paperwork. Might as well purchase items at a place that charges you sales tax upfront.

Old 03-31-2015, 12:09 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,526,834 times
Quote:
Amazon: Buy, anything, everything, and prime service is just unbeatable. I don't know, I just love the Subscribe & Save features...bought once, cancel subscription anytime. Free shipping on thousands of items. If you're a frugal one, the use of Subscribe & Save can save a lot in the long run.
I spend a good bit at Amazon. I've been a customer since the river was on their website and they billed themselves correctly as the world's largest bookstore. I doubt that Amazon will ever have a facility in Wyoming so I should be OK on sales tax.

I've been buying pet food almost exclusively on Amazon for about six years. They're doing way better on dented cans than they did in the past. However, I've had two badly torn bags of dried dog food which I only buy every three to four months. I buy many food products that I can't buy any other way as well as just about anything else you can name except clothing. I noticed that there are some products which no longer show the Subscribe and Save option, but I am still able to buy them this way since I've been buying them. I hope that Amazon isn't going to phase out this program.

After a couple of shipping problems with Prime I decided not to renew it. They have twice shipped orders at slower speeds. The first time I called customer service I received an extra month of Prime. The second time, however, I reached India. They weren't even apologetic. I hope that this is not the harbinger of a coming storm. This is the first time that I've been really disappointed in Amazon. I never did use Prime for music or movies and the books available for loan on Kindle are seldom of interest.

I have used amazon.fr and amazon.co.uk, amazon.de, and have been very pleased. I have only ordered books. amazon.in is in English, but I have never used it.

Apart from suits and associated items, what were once items sold by a haberdasher or in the haberdashery of a department store, I buy almost all of my clothing from L.L. Bean. They have their ups and downs but still provide the best value. I've been getting clothes from them for over fifty years and well recall when they were known as a mail order house. I haven't heard that term in years.

Walmart's online service is steadily improving. Although I'm forced to pay a 4% sales tax on everything except food it's still often the cheapest. However, I buy primarily food. They often offer food by the item so that I can try an item without risking a large purchase. I've been bitten more than once ordering a case of something I'd never tried. Walmart doesn't offer everything online that they sell in their stores. I'd like to buy some things that are neither online nor available in my area.

I'm now able to order fresh and frozen food without fear of spoilage or paying an astronomical shipping fee. I've discovered all sorts of new and tasty foods. I'd never heard of many of these before.

I've heard of Chewy.com and plan to give it a try for cat litter. If I buy four 35# buckets it will qualify for free shipping and I'll save some money. It will also appear as if by magic right at my front door.

Old 03-31-2015, 12:16 AM

35,095 posts, read 50,995,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post

I get charged tax at Amazon all the time and there is no warehouse in the state we live in.

I shop at brick and mortar stores unless I am not going to be going into town for a couple weeks since it is a 25+ mile drive for me depending on where I have to go.

If I need ink, office supplies or something like that I just order from either the Office Supply store or amazon, depending on who has the best price that day.

Old 03-31-2015, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
I doubt that Amazon will ever have a facility in Wyoming so I should be OK on sales tax.
I'm pretty sure that Wyoming has sales and use tax.... so it's not like you don't have to pay taxes on Amazon purchases...

Old 03-31-2015, 01:10 AM

132 posts, read 139,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I'm pretty sure that Wyoming has sales and use tax.... so it's not like you don't have to pay taxes on Amazon purchases...

It's a game, learn how to play it and you too can save.

Let me google that for you

As all these debates continue, if you want to avoid sales tax, consider these basics.

1. Read the Website. Many websites make their sales tax policy clear. In some cases, you may have to wait until checkout to know if you’ll pay tax. Some online sellers make deals to remit tax for sales in certain states. The website will tell you or will add the tax when you check out.

2. Try Smaller Websites and eBay Merchants. You might escape sales tax if you buy from smaller merchants who don’t collect tax on shipments to your state.

3. Get to Smaller Merchants Directly. Some people still claim they ‘showroom’ Amazon, getting to the merchant directly to try to bypass sales tax.

Just remember, avoiding the tax at checkout doesn’t mean you’ve avoided it forever. You are liable for use tax if you bring the goods into your state or have them shipped to you. States historically didn’t enforce use tax except against businesses, but that’s changing. Many state income tax forms now collect use tax, and remember, you sign tax returns under penalty of perjury.

Old 03-31-2015, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkFromSea View Post

It's a game, learn how to play it and you too can save.

Let me google that for you

As all these debates continue, if you want to avoid sales tax, consider these basics.

1. Read the Website. Many websites make their sales tax policy clear. In some cases, you may have to wait until checkout to know if you’ll pay tax. Some online sellers make deals to remit tax for sales in certain states. The website will tell you or will add the tax when you check out.

2. Try Smaller Websites and eBay Merchants. You might escape sales tax if you buy from smaller merchants who don’t collect tax on shipments to your state.

3. Get to Smaller Merchants Directly. Some people still claim they ‘showroom’ Amazon, getting to the merchant directly to try to bypass sales tax.

Just remember, avoiding the tax at checkout doesn’t mean you’ve avoided it forever. You are liable for use tax if you bring the goods into your state or have them shipped to you. States historically didn’t enforce use tax except against businesses, but that’s changing. Many state income tax forms now collect use tax, and remember, you sign tax returns under penalty of perjury.
How is it a game where you can save? Unless you're a criminal, you just end up paying the tax anyways and it costs you more time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products