Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 12:56 AM

422 posts, read 574,378 times

Advertisements

My wife and I took our daughters to Costco today for some food. While there, my 6 year old became fascinated by the jewelry section. I've never even noticed they sold jewelry. She decided right there that she wanted to get her ears pierced. She pointed to a pair of diamond earrings. The price? 15 THOUSAND dollars.

Her mother and I got a very nice laugh out of it. I recently bought a new car with a budget just over that price. I've never been rich, so forgive me if I am naive. Do rich people actually buy jewelry at a Costco or Sam's Club?

After looking at their selection, everything seemed nice and all. I saw a very nice pair of earrings for only $37,000.... I can't help but wonder if any of this merchandise ever gets sold? If you can drop 37k on some earrings, would you even consider costco?

When my wife was working, she worked in a high end salon full of rich clients. She was admiring one of her clients rings when her fiance finally proposed. The woman was furious that her fiance got it at sams club. Doesn't matter that it was close to $20k and was exactly what she wanted. As soon as she found out where he got it she felt like it was no better than a pawn shop purchase.

Just wondering if anyone on here has anything good or bad to say about either store? Unfortunately for my wife I am not in the market to buy any jewelry. Especially not for the price of a nice bmw or corvette. :P
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2015, 09:39 AM

3,352 posts, read 2,822,657 times
I was curious so I went to the website to try to find the really expensive stuff but all I saw was $8700 for earrings the highest...Furious because he got it at Sam's? That wouldn't be me....who cares where he got it as long as I liked it....I can't see where she would compare it to a pawn shop...I have seen the jewelry in the cases and the Swarovski too... Very pretty...I could never have earrings that expensive...I am not careful with things...but I maybe would be with earrings at that price!!!!

Old 05-21-2015, 09:43 AM

22,560 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Can't speak for Sam's, but Costco has some very nice things at nice prices.

If the Costco you were in had high priced jewelry, then they must be selling it. Costcos have different inventory for different customer bases.
I never saw anything over 10 grand at ours.

DH got me a bracelet there... and it appraised out higher than his cost.

Old 05-21-2015, 10:47 AM

2,206 posts, read 3,294,621 times
The demographics of Costco shoppers would shock you. A few years ago there was an article (I think in NY Times) about all the Washington socialites who were telling their caters to shop Costco on the down-low for holiday parties. Quality stuff at great prices.

As for jewelry, not being rich mind you, we purchased my anniversary 3 stone diamond ring from Costco because it was a great value. It outshines my original wedding/engagement bands by far.

Old 05-21-2015, 05:33 PM

200 posts, read 453,913 times
As someone who is a GIA ( Gemological Institute of America ) graduate, I would have no qualms about buying jewelry from Costco. Their quality is excellent, and in fact their diamonds are very much like the quality you would find at Tiffany's! In fact I recommended many of my clients while working in the jewelry business to check out Costco! Sam's Club ( and Wal-mart ) is another matter. Most of their diamonds are junk, just barely better than industrial grade and our in house jeweler hated working on sizing their jewelry as the stones always seemed to fall out at the drop of a hat!

I have to say something about pawn shop jewelry however. You can get some outstanding pieces of Estate jewelry in pawn shops if you are knowledgeable or have someone who is knowledgeable about gemstones with you. In fact, I acquired a rare cat's eye chrysoberyl ring with a half carat total weight of old mine cut diamonds a few Christmas' ago for $85! The appraisal came out over $1200! Obviously someone didn't know what they had or it was mis-marked. Regardless it was a steal, and not the first one I've found by shopping pawn shops!

Old 05-21-2015, 10:27 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
^^^It was probably a real steal, someone probably stole it and hocked it. Jewelry wherever you buy it is astronomically marked up, some as much as 500%. That's where these stores make their profit and bottom line look good, not from TP and such.

Old 05-22-2015, 06:42 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,483,879 times
I know COSTCO sells good Scotch. They sell Glenlivet and Macallan.

Old 05-22-2015, 06:42 AM

22,560 posts, read 47,614,734 times
.... not in PA

Old 05-23-2015, 12:07 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
I don't see what the problem is.
Tag watches at a fraction of the usual price. Works for me.

Old 05-23-2015, 08:55 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybarnaby View Post
My wife and I took our daughters to Costco today for some food. While there, my 6 year old became fascinated by the jewelry section. I've never even noticed they sold jewelry. She decided right there that she wanted to get her ears pierced. She pointed to a pair of diamond earrings. The price? 15 THOUSAND dollars.

Her mother and I got a very nice laugh out of it. I recently bought a new car with a budget just over that price. I've never been rich, so forgive me if I am naive. Do rich people actually buy jewelry at a Costco or Sam's Club?

After looking at their selection, everything seemed nice and all. I saw a very nice pair of earrings for only $37,000.... I can't help but wonder if any of this merchandise ever gets sold? If you can drop 37k on some earrings, would you even consider costco?

When my wife was working, she worked in a high end salon full of rich clients. She was admiring one of her clients rings when her fiance finally proposed. The woman was furious that her fiance got it at sams club. Doesn't matter that it was close to $20k and was exactly what she wanted. As soon as she found out where he got it she felt like it was no better than a pawn shop purchase.

Just wondering if anyone on here has anything good or bad to say about either store? Unfortunately for my wife I am not in the market to buy any jewelry. Especially not for the price of a nice bmw or corvette. :P
I have a family member who is employed at Costco. They do indeed offer and sell high end / quality jewelry, wine and spirits.

Reportedly, they are highly competitive in these areas . Who knew?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products