Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 01:33 PM

4,729 posts, read 19,423,332 times

Advertisements

I want to apply for a new card, but I don't want to support a company like JP Morgan Chase who has their customer support in India. I have to deal with these people enough at work and they cannot even spell cat. I am also not comfortable with my personal info being in India.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2008, 03:24 PM

6,589 posts, read 11,279,081 times
Funny - most of the foreign support people I've dealt with have been nicer than the ones here. Some may have a heavier accent - but I would say their grammar is still probably better.

As for your info... I have good news and bad news:

Good news: that info is most likely not in India..
Bad News: The only thing between that info and the rest of the world is as little as a mistake prone employee.

You know how much a bank teller or a credit card service rep make? You think its hard to sway them to give up that info?

Old 04-06-2008, 08:55 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,464,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groove1 View Post
I want to apply for a new card, but I don't want to support a company like JP Morgan Chase who has their customer support in India. I have to deal with these people enough at work and they cannot even spell cat. I am also not comfortable with my personal info being in India.
I am with you, Groove. I was incensed last year when I called AmEx about a problem w/ a billing and was greeted by someone who SAID his name was Jack, Ha Ha Ha, but his accent was so thick - and he was reading from a script - his name was doubtless more likely Mujibar (and no offense intended at all to anyone foreign - just aggravating that these companies have told their employees to assume an "American" sounding name). I have had so much crap trying to deal w/ people who can't speak English properly (especially techs in re: to computers) that I decided I would just hang up and keep calling back until I found someone who can speak English halfway. It took me three hangups w/ AmEx to get a girl who had evidently been schooled in British schools as she had a very distinct India accent but overlaid w/ British English - so at least I could better understand her.

What got me is it doesn't matter WHO I call. Appliance manufacturers, credit card companies, computer manufacturers . . . no one can speak English. I hung up 7 times one day when trying to call my MORTGAGE COMPANY!!!! How scary is that!!!!

I did hear a few weeks ago that one company - and I am thinking it is Dell, but don't hold me to that - has announced they are disbanding their overseas call center b/c of complaints. So maybe if we all complain enuff, this will change.

However, you may be as incensed as I to find that our Charlotte newspaper - The Charlotte Observer - laid off its graphic arts staff a few weeks back - and is now outsourcing the layout daily to an overseas company! How heinous is that! Laid off local workers for a local newspaper that depends on local advertisers!!!! That just makes me furious. I don't have a subscription and hate to even buy the Sunday edition now that I know the CLT OBS does not even support the local community by hiring local workers. I am sure they would lay off everyone if they could figure out how to get local reporting long distance, LOL!!!!!

Old 04-06-2008, 01:27 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,586,970 times
Bank of America has a massive call center here in Scranton, PA.

Old 04-06-2008, 04:12 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,711,936 times
Premier BankCard and CitiBank have big call centers in Sioux Falls and Spearfish, South Dakota.

Old 04-06-2008, 06:35 PM

1,928 posts, read 5,164,996 times
I sick of this crap too with sending call centers overseas. How many times have I had to hang up to get someone that speaks English as a first language.

Old 04-06-2008, 09:02 PM

1,887 posts, read 7,938,071 times
The accent doesn't bother me. What I've noticed is that the people there are hundreds of times more patient than any American I've ever dealt with. Honestly, I've blown up on a few people out of my own frustration and I'm surprised at how calm and apologetic they are! The opposite is true when I speak with other Americans- and these are in situations when I was the one who was trying to be calm and patient.

I just had a situation the other day with my local internet/phone company. I explained a situation that had happened and that I needed the techs to come back to my house to redo a job that they had botched. Well the rep on the line caught an attitude with me and said "well you should have told them before they left so I'm a hafta charge you for the next tech coming out. If you don't want it, just take it up with billing..." Such attitude and I know only in the U.S. this would happen. We're bold like that.

Old 04-06-2008, 09:08 PM

745 posts, read 2,208,670 times
Chase does have some horrible Call Center reps just do to the fact that I can't understand a word they say. That's not what I want to deal with if I ever have a card stolen or am trying to dispute a charge.

To the best of my judgement, whenever I call DiscoverCard's call center, it sounds like they speak an American dialect of English.

Old 04-07-2008, 05:04 AM

1,928 posts, read 5,164,996 times
These credit card companies need to understand that proper communication is essential to a good business relationship. Customer support is being treated as a necessary evil by these companies.

I'll bet you that holders of the American Express black card don't get support from foreigners.

Old 04-07-2008, 07:27 AM

4,729 posts, read 19,423,332 times
I deal with company credit cards at work...as you can tell by op, JPMC handles them. It took one employee in their off shore call center 15 minutes to close and reissue a card, which should and usually takes 30 seconds. I had to spell a simple name 7 times. They are "patient" because they are trained to read from a script. US Airways call setup a call center in the Phillipines but that lasted only a year for similar reasons. DELL is the worst so hopefully they will disband their off shore centers. As for BofA, they do hae outsourced call centers and other business (I live in Charlotte where they are hq'ed).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products