Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2015, 01:53 PM

1,007 posts, read 1,121,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
You will like Jersey Mikes, but they are a little more expensive so beware
Thanks, I'm going to try it. I am willing to pay a little more for a sub that tastes fresh and good bread. I don't eat subs all the time, but every once in a while I get a craving for a roast beef sub.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2015, 01:57 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,321,560 times
I would jump over 1 million Subway subs to get to one Cousins Cheese steak. I find Cousins to be infinitely better and it's a damn shame there are no franchises here in the bay area. Shameful!

Old 06-16-2015, 01:59 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,347,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
I am of the opinion that the meat and the cheese that they put on the bread also doesn't have much flavor!

It seems to me that, no matter which variety of Subway sandwich I order, they all taste pretty much the same--except for the dressing that I might have selected that day. Everything--bread, cheese, meat--at that place seems incredibly bland, IMHO.

I don't totally avoid Subway, but I think that I probably patronize their stores no more than 3 times a year, and only if nothing more appealing is available.

Yeah I do agree with that too. I don't get that flavor I taste when I have a 'real' Italian sub.

I have one near me , but I don't go that often...It's great if you need to grab something quick though.
Im the same way I don't totally avoid it , but I rarely 'crave' it.

Old 06-16-2015, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
I would jump over 1 million Subway subs to get to one Cousins Cheese steak. I find Cousins to be infinitely better and it's a damn shame there are no franchises here in the bay area. Shameful!
You should open one!
Initial Investment - Cousins Franchise Process | Cousins Subs

I haven't been to one, but they have some in Arizona so you would think they would open in CA too.

Old 06-16-2015, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
We Have, "Jersey Mike Subs" here in San Diego. The meat in the subs just taste better at Jersey Mikes. I also hate Subways Hiring practices. Most of the subways by my house all have a Employee turnover problem. I was talking to a guy that work at one these subways once. he mentioned that, the guy owns about 20 subways and that subway Corp has been trying to suspended his franchise right for years. Apparently it only takes penny's to open or start your own Subway store.
Not sure about pennys...according to subway
"The total investment is an estimated $116,000 to $263,000 in the United States and $102,000 to $234,000 in Canada."
SUBWAY

But, once you get over a certain number of stores and are bringing in decent cash flow...I could see how that could 'snowball' and allow you to open more stores each year if you keep investing the profits/cash flow in more stores, which would make sense.

It's kind of crazy the number of stores some franchisees own.
If you want to read a pretty interesting article about some of the top franchisees of Dunkin Donuts , this one is pretty good
https://www.bostonglobe.com/magazine...6CO/story.html
Some of these guys own over 300 stores and growing!

Old 06-16-2015, 02:25 PM

16,369 posts, read 30,133,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
I much preferred quiznos. However the ones in my area were closed due to some kind of accounting fraud. We have a ton of small Italian restaurants that make a better sandwich than the chains.

The real problem with Quizno's was that they made it nearly impossible for franchisees to make any profit with all of their crazy promotions and their requirements that franchisors buy product through them.

Subway is just as bad.
===========================

I would not buy a franchise of any restaurant unless I had an iron clad exclusivity agreement for the entire market area. Too many Subway locations are within 500 yards of each other.

Old 06-16-2015, 02:37 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,218,911 times
Where I live they are hopelessly outpriced, outnumbered and outqualitied (if there is such a word) by Vietnamese Banh Mi....yummmmm......not a franchise in sight.

Old 06-16-2015, 02:37 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,608,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
The real problem with Quizno's was that they made it nearly impossible for franchisees to make any profit with all of their crazy promotions and their requirements that franchisors buy product through them.

Subway is just as bad.

I would not buy a franchise of any restaurant unless I had an iron clad exclusivity agreement for the entire market area. Too many Subway locations are within 500 yards of each other.
EVERY food franchise requires you to buy food through them. It's the only way to make the food consistent from location to location, plus it's where they make most of their profit.

Old 06-16-2015, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post

Subway is just as bad.

Many people are too lazy to travel more than 500 yards though.

It's interesting how locations work, I think this might be changing a bit though as people rely more discovering restaurants through the internet versus just walking by.
Especially if it's a new interesting concept , Subway doesn't fall into this category though.

I also see this with 7/11 Stores...there will be stores just a block or two from another store.

You see it with Starbucks too in many areas in L.A

Old 06-16-2015, 02:52 PM

402 posts, read 367,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Their motto is 'Eat Fresh"..but sometimes you wonder how fresh the stuff really is.
I used to go to Subway regularly for lunch with people from my office, and there are three locations that we would frequent depending on which building we were in at the time. (To the second point of the article in the OP, it's pretty sad there are three Subways within a mile or two of each other) Over a year I got food poisoning four maybe five times. Finally I gave up completely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Jersey Mikes is another concept that seems to be growing too, their sandwiches are more expensive than subway but a lot better I think.
I like Jersey Mikes, and I agree that they're better than Subway (but that's not saying much). My beef with them is you really don't get a lot of food for the money. A few paper thin slices of meat, tomatoes and shredded lettuce. Barely any other options for veggies to add. I never really eat chips but if I don't get a bag to go with my "regular" sandwich I'll still be pretty hungry. But the flavor is great and all the ingredients taste very fresh.

Togo's seems to be a direct competitor for Subway and I like them 100x better. (ETA: than Subway)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products