Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2015, 03:30 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,722,764 times

Advertisements

Malls, known for shopping and dining and play. Most with food courts and clothing stores. I wonder how many men go shopping for their clothes there and how often? Are women the reason malls are still in business? Do men and women buy clothes at about the same pace?

There are definitely more stores for women.

Why is it that middle end malls are dying and higher end malls are staying around? If Sear's and JcPenney's were both to shutter, then would we see the death of many malls around America while the Nordstrom's, Target, Wal-Mart, Macy's, Bloomingdale's, and Kohl's anchored malls live on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2015, 06:15 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,244 posts, read 80,460,275 times
I would never set foot in a mall if not for the Sears tool department, or being dragged (kicking and screaming) by my wife. All of my clothes and shoes come from Costco, or online. Most everything else other than food I get online or at Home Depot. Here, however, all of the malls are doing well. The upscale ones are expanding, but the others are still doing fine, with no vacancies like there were 6-7 years ago. I find that the upscale malls are majority women shoppers, while the others have families with kids, and even older men who go for the free entertainment, and games like the giant chess set.

Old 07-14-2015, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I would never set foot in a mall if not for the Sears tool department, or being dragged (kicking and screaming) by my wife. All of my clothes and shoes come from Costco, or online. Most everything else other than food I get online or at Home Depot. Here, however, all of the malls are doing well. The upscale ones are expanding, but the others are still doing fine, with no vacancies like there were 6-7 years ago. I find that the upscale malls are majority women shoppers, while the others have families with kids, and even older men who go for the free entertainment, and games like the giant chess set.
So more middle end malls are catering to women and children then? I guess that's true bc kids grow and out grow their clothes often.

Old 07-14-2015, 07:50 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,244 posts, read 80,460,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
So more middle end malls are catering to women and children then? I guess that's true bc kids grow and out grow their clothes often.
The one I'm thinking of has many activities for kids and others, a great international food court and kids enjoy it there as well as many adults. It's a little old and tired but that just gives it more personality.

Events Calendar - Crossroads Bellevue

Old 07-14-2015, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
The one I'm thinking of has many activities for kids and others, a great international food court and kids enjoy it there as well as many adults. It's a little old and tired but that just gives it more personality.

Events Calendar - Crossroads Bellevue
that's no longer a traditional mall though. it has more big box stores than a traditional mall store. good re-use of a mall building though.

Old 07-14-2015, 11:06 PM

15,546 posts, read 11,947,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
I wonder how many men go shopping for their clothes there and how often? Are women the reason malls are still in business? Do men and women buy clothes at about the same pace?
All the men I know get their clothes from stores at the mall, mostly from the department stores. Although my SO does have clothes (that he went shopping for, picked out, payed for...) from Calvin Klein, H&M, Banana Republic and a few others as well. He has some clothes from Kohls, Target, or places like TJ Maxx, but a majority of his clothes are from stores found at the mall.

I don't see a reason why men would avoid shopping at malls. Is shopping at a Kohls or Target all that different? I see plenty of men at the mall whenever I'm there.

Old 07-17-2015, 12:40 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,603,039 times
If the mall magnet stores normal at both ends of mall is loss then they either replace with another or traffic for smaller shops is hurt. Men normally do not like long walks which is why more shops at malls have separate entrances now. men are more into going to buy specific items and not shopping for things to buy. But more and moer women since they work long hours do not like to waste time shopping rather than buying.

Old 07-21-2015, 07:11 AM

23,709 posts, read 30,629,268 times
As a male I haven't been on the inner parts of a Mall in the US in over a decade. Most of my clothing comes from Amazon. If I'm in a pinch, I'll go to a Dillard's or Men's Warehouse.

IMPOV Sears and JCP should have gone out of business long ago.

Old 07-21-2015, 05:13 PM

557 posts, read 861,180 times
The malls have been dinosaurs for some time now. There are numerous stories via the internet that share the demise of many malls across America. Some of these stories even share some very eerie pictures to boot. The Malls that survive will be the ones that can adapt the fastest to the ever changing consumers wants, needs and desires.

Old 07-21-2015, 05:33 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,603,039 times
I think it quite natural seeing the shopping habits of males versus females to concentrate on females. I mean a sporting goods is normally keyed to males. Its all about marketing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products