Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2015, 10:40 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,800,954 times

Advertisements

Christmas goes up in some stores as early as July/August, namely Hallmark, Costco and Sam's Club. Others wait until October, after Halloween to allow for Halloween decorations sales. Thanksgiving only has so much decorations so Christmas can take up a bulk of the seasonal section. After Christ!as comes Valentine's Day, then Easter, the summer and we see the cycle again. Nothing new. If anything you see companies try to squeeze more out of the holiday shopping season...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2015, 01:43 PM

7,581 posts, read 6,046,380 times
Well, the obvious reason store start the Christmas rush seems to be centered around the fact that many stores need the Christmas buying season to turn profits. In the past, some retailers made upwards to 90% of their profit due to Christmas buying. Things may be tougher now for some, as the internet has edged in for the shoppers dollars.

Many years ago, when my kids were young and we had less money, my son talked me into taking him to Miachaels and getting a lighted animated pirate ship for halloween. So we went to Michael's, went to the Halloween section,

This was mid october
We get there to find all the Halloween items being frantically boxed up Some employee said that corporate told them to take down all the Halloween stuff and replace it with Christmas stuff....
Thing was, there were still 2 weeks to Halloween!

Needless to say, we did not get the Pirate ship, no big deal.

Old 10-26-2015, 09:13 PM

44,579 posts, read 61,382,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
Wow! Guess I missed the stores in SoCal displaying Christmas items in July in the 50s.
When I lived in So Cal in the '50's and '60's Xmas sales in July were quite common. I worked for some of those stores.
The reason stores put out their Xmas mdse early is that they bought and paid for it about a year in advance, and those items are sitting in a warehouse not producing any money while sitting idle.

Old 10-26-2015, 09:46 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,667,908 times
I was in Lowes about three weeks ago and they already had all the Santa Claus and Christmas tree stuff on display. Before we know it, they'll start putting that stuff on display right after Memorial Day.

Old 10-27-2015, 10:04 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,873,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crf450ish View Post
I should've posted this earlier in September.......but why the heck are all the Christmas decorations out already? They might as well start putting Valentines day stuff out the day after Christmas, then Easter stuff out the day after Valentines day then 4th of July stuff out the day after easter....LOL. Does anyone have any insight as to where these marketing tactics come from. I remember as a kid (in the early-mid 90's), I'd never see X mas stuff out till almost a few days before halloween, sometimes not till a week after halloween.
Seems like it's been this way for years. I quit trying to figure out 'retail logic' a long time ago. The people who complain the most about it are the employees, not the customers. My store started putting out Halloween 'stuff' the week after Labor Day. My first thought was, "Gads, I have to put up with this for two whole months!". Christmas 'stuff' started going up several weeks ago so, again, have to deal with it for months. A lot of people do like to get their Christmas shopping done early and then there are the ones who wait till it all goes on sale. Either way they keep me jumping!

Old 10-27-2015, 10:12 AM

2,202 posts, read 2,122,649 times
Quote:
I should've posted this earlier in September.......but why the heck are all the Christmas decorations out already? They might as well start putting Valentines day stuff out the day after Christmas, then Easter stuff out the day after Valentines day then 4th of July stuff out the day after easter....LOL. Does anyone have any insight as to where these marketing tactics come from. I remember as a kid (in the early-mid 90's), I'd never see X mas stuff out till almost a few days before halloween, sometimes not till a week after halloween.
Why would a store not put out christmas decorations as early as possible. First, one must assume that they sell, or else the store would not put them out. If they sell, one must assume some people buy them, therefore people want them.

I bought lights for my house two weeks ago at home depot. I was glad they were out. I have money now, I probably will not after Thanksgiving.

Old 10-27-2015, 07:04 PM

23,709 posts, read 30,647,695 times
Walgreen's had a small Christmas section already set up by the second week of September. I figure as Back-To-School product sold out many retailers just jumped into the set ups instead of waiting a few months while it all flowed in during the follow months.

Old 10-27-2015, 07:10 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,390,337 times
Craft stores like Michael's and Hobby Lobby get a pass from me. They stock stuff that people buy early to make items that need to be done prior to the holidays. I get that. Clothing stores, grocery stores etc not so much. I'd prefer they wait until after Halloween to address Thanksgiving and after Thanksgiving to address Christmas.

Old 10-28-2015, 09:22 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,171,805 times
Quote:
Last year, they DID put Valentine's Day stuff out on 12/26!

I'm sick of Christmas creep. I started seeing stuff in Home Depot in early September.

It's balls-out Christmas in most stores around here now except for grocery stores, but I reckon that'll change on 11/1.

Old 10-31-2015, 05:53 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,642,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.strangelove View Post
Why would a store not put out christmas decorations as early as possible. First, one must assume that they sell, or else the store would not put them out. If they sell, one must assume some people buy them, therefore people want them.

I bought lights for my house two weeks ago at home depot. I was glad they were out. I have money now, I probably will not after Thanksgiving.
I like that the stuff is out early too.
I find it much more pleasant to shop over several months rather than try to squeeze everything into several weeks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products