Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2015, 08:38 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times

Advertisements

I'm in the "No thanks" camp when it comes to the cookies. We honestly aren't cookie eaters here. But last year the little girl who came to the door told me I could donate a few boxes to the military. I almost always write a check in lieu of making a purchase, but that seemed like a nice way to support both groups.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2015, 09:34 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
I seriously HATED being pressured to sell things when I was a Girl Scout.

My high school band had numerous fundraisers, also...candy bars to defray the annual band trip, fruit sales at Christmas to defray...God knows WHAT that the school district wouldn't cover...uniforms? Music royalties? Who knows? I truly despised being pressed to go out and ask people for money.

Old 11-06-2015, 10:51 PM

2,453 posts, read 3,606,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy2U View Post
I won't buy them either. My husband used to get them behind my back, but now that I work at home, he can't sneak cookies in here anymore. No way.
He won't share?

Old 11-07-2015, 01:43 AM

5,511 posts, read 4,475,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
You need to stop looking at it as a shopper (what do I get for my money) and look at it as a supporter (how nice to get cookies for my financial help!).

That's how fundraising works.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Cravings View Post
Sounds like the cookie makers are counting on your graciousness.

Give that $5 directly to the local troop.

This is a sad lesson in capitalism these girls are learning.
That's what I was thinking too. If it's truly about the support and not the so much cookies, then it would behoove us to just donate something like $3, and use the remaining $2 to buy a box of cookies for ourselves. Otherwise, you pay $5 for about $1 or $2's worth of cookies, the troop gets 50c of that. As another poster put it, the ol' cutting out the middleman.

Ironically enough, I wonder if that's what they're ALSO counting on .... that we'll see how expensive they've gotten and just say "**** it, just take a direct donation!". Either way, they seem to win.

Old 11-07-2015, 04:11 AM

51,652 posts, read 25,813,568 times
The Girl Scouts are selling cookies, the Boy Scouts are peddling popcorn and wreaths, the football team is selling coupon booklets, the band has boxes of oranges and grapefruit, 6th graders are raising money for the class trip to Washington DC by selling wrapping paper and chocolate in the shape of CDs... Then there are the raffle tickets.

Add this to the fundraisers for the uninsured father with pancreatic cancer, the requests for donations to help build homes for disabled vets, the Salvation Army requests to help the less fortunate, Kiva loans that change lives, Samaritan's Purse relief work, Red Cross appeals...

Rarely a day goes by that we aren't asked to support some worthy cause - Walk for MS, breast cancer research, protect the bees, help the refugees...

It's daunting trying to keep up.

Old 11-07-2015, 04:41 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,394,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
I'm disheartened by some of the replies. GSA and BSA are youth leadership programs, and the cost to run camps comes from a big chunk of these sales. The units benefit from these camps, so regardless of the amount kept at unit level, the kids still do benefit. But it is what it is, I guess.

It has nothing to do with not supporting GSA or BSA. It's the fact that someone else is making a big profit off of these kids pushing the cookies, popcorn, etc. and a lot of times they are relying on the guilt of people to give to a "kid". I would much rather the kids go out and ask for any donation to support their troop. Why are kids asked to "make" money for someone else? Like all fundraising and a lot of charities…it is just too scammy and the majority of the donations "don't" go to the cause or the people in need. It's actually pretty sad and kind of disgust me.

Old 11-07-2015, 06:31 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,960,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy2U View Post
I won't buy them either. My husband used to get them behind my back, but now that I work at home, he can't sneak cookies in here anymore. No way.
Now that's funny. My wife buys all sorts of sweets and has a sickening amount of self control. She weighs 100 pounds and when she eats sweets, she'll eat three or four cookies or a tiny piece of cake and that's it for a month. Sometimes the snacks even go stale on her. Not me. I get into her cake or cookie stash and before I know it, the entire candy bar or box of cookies has magically disappeared. So she hides her stuff all over the place: in her work bag, behind the healthy food in the pantry, etc. It works. Most of the time.

Old 11-07-2015, 06:55 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,497,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckerd2 View Post
In some areas of the country, the girl scouts are raising the price of the cookies by a dollar... so now they are going to be $5.00 a box! So now we get 10 cookies for $5.00
Here is the article if you want to read it...

Experts: Controversial Girl Scout cookie price hike is justified

I won't be buying any cookies. I think there is some kind of child labor law violation going on. I will donate directly to the troops so that the CEOs can't get their greedy hands on the money that is "suppose" to go the girls.
Here is a 2013 article about how much one of them made.

She

Anybody else not going to buy any cookies?
Mod Note: As you mention in your OP this is happening in some parts of the country but not all. This is not the case in East TN. The prices are not being raised from last year. I will be altering the title of this thread (since it is a bit misleading) and moving it from Food and Drink as this is more about consumerism than Food and Drink.

Old 11-07-2015, 04:14 PM

6,811 posts, read 6,946,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
You need to stop looking at it as a shopper (what do I get for my money) and look at it as a supporter (how nice to get cookies for my financial help!).

That's how fundraising works.
I don't mind supporting the scouts, but have a problem with the CEO's salary of almost $400,000 a year. .52 going directly to the scouts and the rest going into someone's pocket doesn't seem right.

Old 11-07-2015, 08:19 PM

19,758 posts, read 22,666,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
It has nothing to do with not supporting GSA or BSA. It's the fact that someone else is making a big profit off of these kids pushing the cookies, popcorn, etc. and a lot of times they are relying on the guilt of people to give to a "kid". I would much rather the kids go out and ask for any donation to support their troop. Why are kids asked to "make" money for someone else? Like all fundraising and a lot of charities…it is just too scammy and the majority of the donations "don't" go to the cause or the people in need. It's actually pretty sad and kind of disgust me.
Of course GSA and BSA make profit from it- they have to run camps and pay for programs, and the top of the chain should be staffed by competent and well trained and educated persons in running 2 of the largest non-profit organizations in the country…

However that does not detract from the need to run local camps and programs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products