Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2016, 11:01 AM

1,615 posts, read 1,640,103 times

Advertisements

Here's a fun game for all to play. When I was in Toronto looking through their awesome stores I noticed non of the tags read made in China,Indonesia,Vietnam. Back here try looking randomly at the labels even in the upscale stores and see where they are made. I was surprised until a woman threw a tantrum about items made in Vietnam and how could that happen when we were at war with them now we're selling their garments! From that day on I started paying attention when in upper scale stores and you would think they would be less expensive but aren't. I call that getting had with your eyes open.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2016, 11:33 AM

33 posts, read 20,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
i pretty much stop buying at walmart. not because of the store or company but the parking lots are always screwed up and just te people that shop there are so rude. we getting a lot of mini walmarts. neighborhood markets. I havent been to one yet, but i hope its better
Yes! Take your life in your hands in those parking lots. It's why going there is a dread. Only go about once or so a month now Regular Wallys have been replaced with the super ones so it's even crazier now.

Anyone know how it got the nickname Wallyworld? I always think of the family resort near Disney

Old 01-02-2016, 12:10 PM

5,092 posts, read 14,825,943 times
I usually buy my Cheap Chinese Junk on Amazon.

But if I need Cheap Chinese Hardware, I shop at Ace.

For Cheap Chinese Office Junk, Staples has it.

All my other Cheap Chinese Junk, I buy at Walmart.

Except for Super Cheap Chinese Junk, that I buy from the Dollar Store.

Old 01-02-2016, 12:39 PM

2,700 posts, read 4,936,320 times
We shop Walmart all the time... I NEVER shop online as I like to look, try on, see and fell what I am buying... I see nothing wrong with Walmart... The majority of items are not inferior... (please tell me how Crest makes inferior dental care items for Walmart and no one else)....

If you do nto want to shop there, good for you.. I myself will continue to shop there..

BTW I NEVER use Amazon....

Old 01-02-2016, 12:48 PM

2,700 posts, read 4,936,320 times
All of those who say they don't like Walmart because they buy all things from China is stupid.. While a few things come from there not everything does.. And if there is a Super Walmart the food they have (meat, produce, fresh items) all try to come from LOCAL places.. So they are helping the LOCAL economy as well....

Old 01-02-2016, 12:55 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,779,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
I have tried this in the past, to spend an entire year purchasing nothing at Walmart

Was in there today to take someone to the pharmacy, looked around, bought a few items, typical nasty attitude from unhappy lower strata employees. Decided to see if it would be possible to buy NOTHING from them at all next year.

SO First, I looked at the budget. I already use Amazon Prime, which allows for free shipping on all major purchases, and usually at better prices than walmart. SO comparing prices to Amazon Pantry, which is a monthly delivery of goods such as soap, non perishables etc, it would be cheaper to buy those items through amazon and have them delivered on the 1st of every month.

I do not buy clothing or shoes from the Mart, so no problem there.

As for cheap grocery goods (condiments flour etc) I usually shop once a month at my favorite low price chain because they have a larger and better selection of Latin foods, so when I make tacos every 3 weeks or so, I can buy the spices, tortillas and such in bulk cheaper and with a better authentic flair. Ketchup, Mustard, etc are always cheaper and I keep several bottles in reserve.

That leaves though the bulk of groceries for the nearby Publix, which is not cheap, or Target, which sadly is closing in January.
But I am thinking we can get most of the food delivered to the house, using Amazon, and paying less.

Has anyone else tried this? What were the results?

I will update as we go to see if this can be done
Thanks
I have been doing the same, but due to the "Care less" attitude of the clerk at the local Winco. So far, on month 4 and continuing. I can choose Walmart, Fred Meyer, Safeway, Albertson's and a few others. But I'm not going to go into a childish diatribe on them....

Old 01-02-2016, 01:10 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,386,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoCommas View Post

Anyone know how it got the nickname Wallyworld?
its from that chevy chase movie

Old 01-02-2016, 01:20 PM

2,077 posts, read 2,016,239 times
I haven't shopped there in years . Too far from the house and the one that IS the closest has terrible selection and they grocery prices are more or the same as a large chain near my house . If I need something that I don't mind if it is cheap I go to the dollar store .

I will say when my last daughter was little I loved the Mary Kate and Ashley designed clothes. I think I stopped going there when they stopped the line.

I also realize that some people depending on where they live may have no choice .

Old 01-02-2016, 01:34 PM

4,091 posts, read 6,010,760 times
I haven't shopped at Wal-Mart since I quit... About ten years ago. Best decision I ever made.

Old 01-02-2016, 01:35 PM

4,091 posts, read 6,010,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCpl2 View Post
And if there is a Super Walmart the food they have (meat, produce, fresh items) all try to come from LOCAL places.. So they are helping the LOCAL economy as well....
Can you please show me the proof to back up that claim?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products