Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2016, 08:42 PM

4,023 posts, read 3,798,443 times

Advertisements

That is the usual story. Nobody has links; sometimes they have one that is a regular price versus a special deal, but usually the dog ate the homework. People have anecdotes but generally nothing more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2016, 08:48 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elousv View Post
Sorry, not like I took notes or anything. I remember I was looking at an antenna for $49 and it was Prime so I thought cool, I get it in 2 days. I looked at other prices and there was a non-Prime for $42 and it only took 3 days. I asked my wife(who had been looking at getting Prime) if she noticed that the Prime stuff was more expensive and she said yes. She also noted a significant percentage of items she wanted were not Prime candidates. I am not anti-Amazon, just that this Prime stuff does not cut it for me. I can definitely see the benefit if UPS is at your house every day for $2 items. Funny I was just on Amazon a minute ago and there is a new banner at the top prompting me to continue membership.
I see what you are saying, non-prime items are not sold directly by Amazon, they are sold by 3rd party sellers. Anyone can sell on Amazon, just like on Ebay. I have bought a few things from 3rd party sellers but usually when you calculate the shipping they charge they are higher than prime. There is also another advantage to buying direct from Amazon- the way they handle returns. I bought a dog collar from a 3rd party seller on Amazon and it was defective, the seller wanted to send me a $1 credit rather than accept return of the collar.

Old 03-30-2016, 11:01 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,322,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReachTheBeach View Post
they do make it really easy to get Prime in your cart. I am a secondary Prime member; it is on my wife's account but I can get the free 2 day (sometimes 1 day) shipping but not the video. We have separate accounts because I have Android apps and music collection that would get confused with her stuff. Anyway, they are all the time trying to get me to add my own Prime membership with just a click as I check out. They probably offered you free 2 day shipping on something you bought to "try it out" and down in the small print had the 30 days to cancel verbiage. I use Amazon and eBay, but tend to prefer Amazon for anything pricey or iffy (that I might not like) as returns are always free and I have never had them give me a hard time even when I don't have all the packaging or tore the box or whatever.
I never even ordered anything. I checked the price on something and put it in my cart, but didn't order it. It's less on eBay.

Old 03-31-2016, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
I never even ordered anything. I checked the price on something and put it in my cart, but didn't order it. It's less on eBay.
You said they were about to charge you. They only get payment info they could use to charge you when you order from them. So at some point I think you must have placed an order.

Old 03-31-2016, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I see what you are saying, non-prime items are not sold directly by Amazon, they are sold by 3rd party sellers. Anyone can sell on Amazon, just like on Ebay. I have bought a few things from 3rd party sellers but usually when you calculate the shipping they charge they are higher than prime. There is also another advantage to buying direct from Amazon- the way they handle returns. I bought a dog collar from a 3rd party seller on Amazon and it was defective, the seller wanted to send me a $1 credit rather than accept return of the collar.
Amazon will help you with the 3rd party if you aren't happy. I have always been able to get a refund or replacement when I was unhappy with an item. Only once did I have to contact Amazon about a 3rd party. One caveat on my experience is that I do a lot of business with Amazon and I have been told they look at that. I think it's true; when I return something they credit it to my account while it is still in transit. I told one of my coworkers that when he was returning something and was going to buy something else and he ended up getting a little annoyed with me because they did not do that for him. He was annoyed because he needed to wait for the credit; if he had asked for a refund back to his card it would have taken longer to process, but he would have gone ahead and bought the other item while the refund was still being processed.

Old 03-31-2016, 06:19 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,366,552 times
I think I'm their best customer!

Old 03-31-2016, 08:53 AM

2,648 posts, read 2,315,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeriously View Post
I think I'm their best customer!
No, I think that would be me....

Old 03-31-2016, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReachTheBeach View Post
You said they were about to charge you. They only get payment info they could use to charge you when you order from them. So at some point I think you must have placed an order.
The last time I ordered from Amazon was July 2015, and it was for PowerStep Insoles. Other than that, I've only ordered one other time, and that was about 5 years ago. I put something in my shopping cart, but didn't place the order.

Old 03-31-2016, 10:54 AM

I woke up this morning to find out that the Prime membership fee overdrew my checking account. I went in, deleted the account, and called customer service. The credit for the membership fee, along with the overdraft fee is going to be credited to my account.

Goodbye forever, Amazon.

Old 03-31-2016, 11:09 AM

48,519 posts, read 34,843,322 times
Could, if I checked multiple vendors find AN item cheaper elsewhere from Amazon. Probably. But overall Amazon is going to meet or beat what I find.

And my TIME is worth any few dollars I may save searching around the internet from the absolutely, positively best deal.

Maybe it's because we live in Hawaii and prices are expensive, but if Amazon brings the groceries here I'm in for that too!

Basically I shop 3 places and don't have to worry I'm overpaying: Military, Amazon and Walmart

Oops! 4 adding CostCo!
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products