Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2015, 08:46 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,511,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
And sometimes, Amazon has refunded me and told me to go ahead and keep the item! This has happened to me several times. Once it was a case of salted Dave's sunflower seeds. They were saltier than I'd remembered and asked if I could return them. Amazon refunded all of my money and told me to go ahead and just keep them. I gave them away.
For ANY item - food, drink, or dietary supplements - to be ingested, that's what they'll do. A few times I've rec'd a different flavor herbal tea than I ordered and they did the same thing, refunded my money and told me to keep the tea.
Last month I rec'd by accident a large box that had "muscle milk" and creatine and several other body building type supplements I didn't order and don't use. It wasn't charged to my account and when I notified Amazon I had rec'd it, they told me I could do anything I wanted with it but not to send it back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2015, 08:54 PM

1,824 posts, read 1,717,478 times
Amazon generally has very competitive prices. With prime you get 2 day delivery guaranteed, on millions of items. We got it free for 1 year by signing up for frontier.com $30.99 phone & $19.99 internet with 3 year price guarantee. Haven't tried their TV programs or movies yet. You can buy off Amazon without Prime & get slower shipping free, or pay if in a rush, on orders $35+. They have great reviews of products, not much they don't carry except perishable groceries & you can add your reviews.

If they have a building in your state, you'll be charged tax on items directly from Amazon. They also have marketplace sellers with new & used goods, generally no tax & Amazon won't let them rip you off with inflated shipping charges. Anything bought directly from Amazon, you have a 30 day return, new or used items. You pay return shipping if you don't like it. They pay return shipping up to their original shipping cost if you get a defective item. I agree Costco is great, best products with good prices. Best wishes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I've come here with questions before, and you guys always answer thoughtfully. When I asked about hearing aids, I got some good advice, with pointers to Costco, and we are going to follow up there after DH has his eye surgery.

But about Amazon Prime: do you have it, and do you like it? Has it been useful to you, and is it worth the up front cost of $100? I know some family members who do use it extensively to buy things. I am not sure about the streaming, but I do know they buy certain things that way. Part of my question concerns pricing. We do pay to shop at Costco, but we have confidence that we aren't paying too much for anything--in fact we feel that we usually we get good deals.

If you subscribe to Amazon Prime, do you feel you get good value? It looks like you can buy a multitude of things that way, although not everything in the world.

Any insight about this? Thanks in advance!

Old 12-31-2015, 09:22 PM

2,334 posts, read 2,641,249 times
Quote:
Thanks you guys. I wondered if Amazon Prime would be worth it for retirees, so I am glad I asked. Could you tell me more about what you guys order? Clothes? Books? Toys? stuff from other retailers? We don't have pets.

It is good to know that the streaming is worthwhile. We already have Netflix, and I wonder why have two services. But DH loves to stream music.

So far, I've located Penzey's spices which I currently drive a long way to obtain; Levis or Lees for DH; Metrosene sewing thread; Krinos Greek products which are unobtainable here; Hodgson Mills products. I haven't searched for towels or sheets yet or undergarments or socks.

Still have to do some research. I appreciate your info, I really do.

How about sharing the most unusual thing you have bought with Amazon Prime? Thanks again.
Well, I don't think it's necessarily a "retired" thing. It's just very convenient, and if you buy in bulk and use Subscribe and Save, it's definitely worth the investment. You don't use your car, delivery is always on schedule, and it just frees up a lot of other time you'd otherwise spend shopping (including impulse buys). To me, time is money, and I don't like to shop. It's also good for buying things that are just too heavy for me to carry, and I don't have to go to the grocery store so often.

You also gain "points" as you go along, which can mean you save about $20 or so every month, depending on the size of your order.

I've bought clothes, books, music CDs, and I use Prime Video. I've bought planters for the front porch, doormats, stair runners, a special kind of bottled, unsweetened green tea I can't find in stores (Teas' Tea), grated Pecorino cheese, bath mats, light bulbs, kitchen trash bags, Bragg vinaigrette salad dressing (can't find in stores), gifts for friends (I just order it and it goes to their house), half- or quarter-cases of canned fruit, makeup, summer hats and winter caps, boxes of Silk soy milk, Full Circle organic hot salsa (usually out in stores), and cases of protein breakfast drinks.

Hope this helps!

Old 12-31-2015, 09:30 PM

2,334 posts, read 2,641,249 times
^^^Forgot to add: If you apply for the Amazon card (just a regular credit card), you get back about $100 right there, and I pay the balance off each month, so there's never any interest or extra fees. And shipping is free with all Prime orders.

Old 12-31-2015, 09:30 PM

34,967 posts, read 31,128,131 times
I enjoy it, but my membership is coming up in January and I probably won't renew it. I live in an apartment, so getting anything shipped here is a hassle since I'm not home during the day and the carrier won't leave it at the door. Amazon Prime is fine, but not as expensive as Netflix, but a nudge cheaper.

Old 12-31-2015, 09:39 PM

19,451 posts, read 9,482,759 times
It's saved me a lot - mostly, in frustration, when I can't find item/s in the brick and mortar stores.

Old 12-31-2015, 10:15 PM

12,054 posts, read 10,234,572 times
I have it but will not renew. I didn't buy a lot, but getting rid of all the boxes was a pain. We don't have recycling here. I finally used them in my garden as weed barrier.

Old 12-31-2015, 10:27 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,601,194 times
I don't think it's worth it, it's just an expensive loyalty card. You can get free shipping on anything if you shop around, including Amazon. Not everything on Amazon is Prime eligible.

For TV, Netflix is better, and around the same price. Amazon has a lot of stuff that's not available on Prime, you need to pay, and they also have ADS!!! That is not OK. Who has ads anymore? You could do a free trial of either to see if they have the shows you like, or to watch the ones you really really want to see.

Old 12-31-2015, 10:52 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,408,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I enjoy it, but my membership is coming up in January and I probably won't renew it. I live in an apartment, so getting anything shipped here is a hassle since I'm not home during the day and the carrier won't leave it at the door. Amazon Prime is fine, but not as expensive as Netflix, but a nudge cheaper.
Get a private mailbox. That's what I did, because packages will disappear if left in the hall. They will sign for my packages and keep them safe until I pick them up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildColonialGirl View Post
Amazon has a lot of stuff that's not available on Prime, you need to pay, and they also have ADS!!! That is not OK. Who has ads anymore? You could do a free trial of either to see if they have the shows you like, or to watch the ones you really really want to see.
Where are you seeing ads? Unless you mean the Amazon show promos at the beginning of a show sometimes, but that's it. There are no ads in the middle of any of the shows or movies.

Old 01-01-2016, 04:09 AM

7,987 posts, read 5,365,568 times
Quote:

But about Amazon Prime: do you have it, and do you like it? Has it been useful to you, and is it worth the up front cost of $100? !
Yes, yes, yes and yes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products