Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2016, 09:28 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,237,606 times

Advertisements

I have had Prime for years and I think it is well worth the money. Just this morning, I got a new free book, which is a perk at the beginning of each month. Free digital music, free shipping, free streaming. In all, extremely happy with Prime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2016, 09:37 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,577,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I've come here with questions before, and you guys always answer thoughtfully. When I asked about hearing aids, I got some good advice, with pointers to Costco, and we are going to follow up there after DH has his eye surgery.

But about Amazon Prime: do you have it, and do you like it? Has it been useful to you, and is it worth the up front cost of $100? I know some family members who do use it extensively to buy things. I am not sure about the streaming, but I do know they buy certain things that way. Part of my question concerns pricing. We do pay to shop at Costco, but we have confidence that we aren't paying too much for anything--in fact we feel that we usually we get good deals.

If you subscribe to Amazon Prime, do you feel you get good value? It looks like you can buy a multitude of things that way, although not everything in the world.

Any insight about this? Thanks in advance!
Hubby got it by accident once, and we decided to keep it. I find it useful because I always go to toys r us's website to look for toys and then find them on Amazon cheaper! Same goes for anything that's not shoes or clothes.

So yes, I find it valuable especially the two day shipping.

Old 01-02-2016, 10:05 AM

2,441 posts, read 2,588,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
Hubby got it by accident once, and we decided to keep it. I find it useful because I always go to toys r us's website to look for toys and then find them on Amazon cheaper! Same goes for anything that's not shoes or clothes.

So yes, I find it valuable especially the two day shipping.
You should try googling the toy and price comparing that way. I don't think I've ever ordered from them, I just use their website to see what's in stock IRL.

Book Depository.com is an awesome book store. Always free shipping on everything.

Old 01-02-2016, 10:21 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,577,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildColonialGirl View Post
You should try googling the toy and price comparing that way. I don't think I've ever ordered from them, I just use their website to see what's in stock IRL.

Book Depository.com is an awesome book store. Always free shipping on everything.
I do that & Amazon usually wins!

I'll look that up tho, thank you.

Old 01-02-2016, 11:38 AM

46 posts, read 55,509 times
We use amazon prime several times PER WEEK.
I honestly don't know how they can afford all our small free shipping orders.

We're reconnecting our audio and tv setup after switching providers and find we need some small extra connector. After 15 minutes researching options, we found the exact connector we require, priced it out online, found it comparably priced on Amazon for $6 and change and it will be at our door in two days, free shipping. Good deal.
And stuff like this comes up for us all the time. Love it.

Old 01-02-2016, 01:32 PM

3,743 posts, read 5,801,221 times
Wife uses it as she buys lots of books and other stuff. I have found it useful as well.

Old 01-02-2016, 02:15 PM

40 posts, read 40,597 times
I was not going to renew my membership when it went up to $99. But a few months ago, they offered it for one day for $69. So I did buy it.

Many things I buy on Amazon rquire extra shipping. I have had to call Amazon many times about items that said they were prime and did not make it here in 2 days. Also, a pet medication item that I Ordered and was shipped from Amazon had expired 3 years prior to my order so that was a hassle since I didn't notice it immediately.

Would I pay $99 for the service.....NO! For me, it is not worth it.

Old 01-02-2016, 02:47 PM

130 posts, read 133,755 times
I used to shop Amazon a lot, however, about three months ago they began charging sales tax, even on mp3 downloads! I now alternate between Amazon Marketplace and Ebay. Although Amazon Marketplace charges shipping, I still find it cheaper than Amazon.

I personally think $99 for "Amazon Prime" is ridiculous. But, obviously, Amazon figured Americans will pay just about anything for instant gratification. Frankly, I'm shocked at how many people just on this board will fork over 100 bucks a year, not for a lifetime, but a year, for "free" shipping. Someone at Amazon needs to give a huge bonus to whomever came up with this idea. If I were at the meeting where this was proposed, I would have laughed the person out of the meeting. Boy, would I have been wrong.

Maybe Amazon should charge another $99 a year to have your item delivered in a gift box with a bow with cute little smiley faces plastered all over it. "Oh, I just love the box my item came in. I can't stop ordering more stuff just so I can get more cute boxes with more smiley faces!" And all for just a 100 bucks a year. What a deal.

Old 01-02-2016, 03:13 PM

577 posts, read 422,565 times
I'm sure that I exceed the $99, in terms of shipping saved. I don't know why you called it "free" (in quotes) shipping. Yes, you could look at the membership cost as paying for shipping. If you had previously always qualified for super saver shipping (which I usually did) and never/rarely paid any shipping, then Prime is more expense. Two (or occasionally more) day shipping is nice, especially near Christmas/birthdays.

I seem to recall the super saver shipping as being very slow, and you had to meet a certain dollar amount to get it. But it's not just a matter of instant gratification (although that's appealing). I don't have to take my kids out shopping for so many things, and that's a huge plus for me. I was recently looking at my past orders at Amazon, and I placed twice as many orders in the years after joining Prime as I did before. That represents trips I didn't have to drive (paying for gas on my end) to get something, or waste time with parking, waiting in checkout lanes, etc.

It's all just so much simpler. But there probably will be a point (if they keep charging more) when the price isn't worth it to me. That's really what it comes down to -- if you like being able to order things whenever you want and not worry about shipping, and if that is balanced by the membership cost.

Old 01-02-2016, 03:23 PM

14,229 posts, read 29,904,573 times
I am a pretty new subscriber. I got it mostly for the streaming video/TV/movies. I use it a lot and the shipping thing is a bonus for me. If you average out the cost, it's pretty much the same as Netflix. I didn't get a 'deal' but I know the subscriptions are usually discounted once a year. I will be watching for this!

Does anyone know if it's the same day every year?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products