Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2015, 03:42 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,132,037 times

Advertisements

I've come here with questions before, and you guys always answer thoughtfully. When I asked about hearing aids, I got some good advice, with pointers to Costco, and we are going to follow up there after DH has his eye surgery.

But about Amazon Prime: do you have it, and do you like it? Has it been useful to you, and is it worth the up front cost of $100? I know some family members who do use it extensively to buy things. I am not sure about the streaming, but I do know they buy certain things that way. Part of my question concerns pricing. We do pay to shop at Costco, but we have confidence that we aren't paying too much for anything--in fact we feel that we usually we get good deals.

If you subscribe to Amazon Prime, do you feel you get good value? It looks like you can buy a multitude of things that way, although not everything in the world.

Any insight about this? Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2015, 03:46 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,460,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I've come here with questions before, and you guys always answer thoughtfully. When I asked about hearing aids, I got some good advice, with pointers to Costco, and we are going to follow up there after DH has his eye surgery.

But about Amazon Prime: do you have it, and do you like it? Has it been useful to you, and is it worth the up front cost of $100? I know some family members who do use it extensively to buy things. I am not sure about the streaming, but I do know they buy certain things that way. Part of my question concerns pricing. We do pay to shop at Costco, but we have confidence that we aren't paying too much for anything--in fact we feel that we usually we get good deals.

If you subscribe to Amazon Prime, do you feel you get good value? It looks like you can buy a multitude of things that way, although not everything in the world.

Any insight about this? Thanks in advance!
We subscribe. With seven children, 14 grandchildren and a great grandchild between us scattered around five states, coast-to-coast, it pays for itself, not to mention our own shopping (state #6).

Old 12-31-2015, 03:47 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,807,548 times
I've had it for years. I do 90% of my shopping on Amazon so it is a good deal for me. Cat food, kleenex, toilet paper, cat litter, movies, gifts, grocery items, you name it. There are very few things I buy that don't qualify for prime. I think I have had it since it was first introduced.

Old 12-31-2015, 03:48 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,207,670 times
We have used it for years but we have always lived in rural areas so it is easier for them to deliver to me during bad weather than for me to go out shopping which I don't like anyway.
We do not have food items delivered though just non food items except for cat food and dog food from time to time.
It is like anywhere else, you need to know the general prices before you shop.

Old 12-31-2015, 03:49 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,435,798 times
Use it ALL the time. If you shop online it is worth it.

Old 12-31-2015, 04:03 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,022,196 times
We have had if for quite awhile now and love it and get our moneys worth easily.

Old 12-31-2015, 04:06 PM

4,344 posts, read 4,717,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
Use it ALL the time. If you shop online it is worth it.
Agree. Have had it since it was first offered.

Old 12-31-2015, 04:09 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,258,017 times
No, I do NOT use Amazon Prime. To be honest, I am using Amazon LESS frequently even though my online shopping has increased.

At any given time, I have $300-500 in Amazon credits but it is very rare that I find anything at Amazon that I cannot beat the price locally. I tried the "subscribe and save" product which offers some great deals BUT they always seem to raise the prices the following month.

More often than not, I end up giving the credits to my nephews who use them for their college textbooks.

Old 12-31-2015, 04:09 PM

260 posts, read 234,566 times
The free shipping can be useful although it is important to check that items which qualify for Prime are the cheapest on offer on the site. I frequently find that even if I factor in shipping, other vendors are cheaper; not always, of course.

The music and movie streaming are what I use the most though. The music streaming is amazing and well organized to find all genre of music according to your taste and mood.

I have Netflix streamed but I find that we use Amazon more.

The fee is well worth for us.

Old 12-31-2015, 04:20 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,525,658 times
Devoted Prime user here since 2007. If the yearly fee doubled, I'd still subscribe. I use it primarily for the free super-fast shipping but the Prime videos are a big plus too.

There are some items which I might be able to buy a little cheaper in a local store but by the time I figure in gas and the time trying to track them down, the Amazon price is probably cheaper.

Usually when you order something - as a Prime user - you're offered an incentive in the form of a credit toward digital or Pantry items if you select no-rush shipping. Last year I collected and used about $40 worth of those so my true yearly fee was less than $60. Most of the items for which I selected "no rush" still arrived within a couple of days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products