Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2016, 07:34 AM

50,288 posts, read 47,043,365 times

Advertisements

For supposedly being well off there sure is a lot of stealing food out of the bins at whole paycheck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2016, 08:16 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,796,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
As someone I respected said, it is not what you make, it is what you spend. I live a pretty nice lifestyle on very little, including a house in Canada, a sailboat and condo in Florida, and NO trips to Whole Foods after my first time there. If I told you my total monthly expenses, most here would tell me I am lying.

Frugal is good.

Thank you. You get it. Think of what you'd have if you just took that extra few dollars a week that you'd spend in a pricey grocery store and put it in a mutual fund instead for ten years. We save an average of $20 to $30 dollars a week shopping where we shop.

(Can I DM you. I want to branch off into vacation rentals and could use some advice.)

Old 02-10-2016, 08:31 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,922,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
Thank you. You get it. Think of what you'd have if you just took that extra few dollars a week that you'd spend in a pricey grocery store and put it in a mutual fund instead for ten years. We save an average of $20 to $30 dollars a week shopping where we shop.

(Can I DM you. I want to branch off into vacation rentals and could use some advice.)
My DM doesn't work. Check your reputation comments for contact info.

Old 02-10-2016, 01:29 PM

1,373 posts, read 1,655,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laresistance View Post
They always give you weird looks. And they look super self-conscious, awkward and unsure of themselves. They don't know where they're going.
No. I have never noticed this.

Old 02-10-2016, 01:37 PM

1,373 posts, read 1,655,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Oh gee, another bashing Whole Foods thread with all of the stereotypical remarks about "expensive" and "yuppies"....how original, next up....Starbucks? * eye roll * But hey, it's fun to trash a company that has made a mission to improve the food industry via standards pertaining to ethics of production and animal welfare practices versus factory farming/pesticides, genetic modification and horrifying conditions animals are raised/processed in. Quick, name another national grocer that has had any other interest in anything beyond the bottom line.

And furthermore if one wants to talk weird, it can't get any weirder how much many Americans can't get enough of trashing companies that give back/help to improve the world we live in (i.e. Whole Foods, Starbucks, Chipotle) and yet can't spend money fast enough with companies working overtime as detriments to society. Seriously, try to think it through for a minute. I for one would rather vote with my 20% higher food bill (comparing organic to organic, versus conventional) at a store where standards stand for something versus selling "organic" products that have no background check other than what's on the label.

Add Panera to that group. Owned by a progressive who markets fairly traded, healthy food.

What is so "All American" about the fattening and disgusting food like substances sold at McDonald's and similar outlets?

A "patriotic business" cares about what it sell, who it hurts, how it hurts the earth, and treats it's employees with the respect that they deserve.

Old 02-10-2016, 06:57 PM

41,958 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
But hey, it's fun to trash a company that has made a mission to improve the food industry via standards pertaining to ethics of production and animal welfare practices versus factory farming/pesticides, genetic modification and horrifying conditions animals are raised/processed in.
Maybe not, but it is fun to trash a company that engineered a hostile takeover of its largest competitor.
Quote:
Quick, name another national grocer that has had any other interest in anything beyond the bottom line.
You don't think Whole Foods is interested in anything beyond the bottom line? LMAO ...

Old 02-11-2016, 10:05 AM

8,070 posts, read 4,746,263 times
It's also fun to trash a company which attempts to sell "asparagus water"....but really, we're mostly trashing the people who would actually buy such a thing that was made (according to conflicting reports) as a mistake, or as a joke by an employee who seemed to have a good grasp of the client base. My guess is they did it on purpose, just to see if the proverbial spaghetti would stick to the wall, and then they distanced themselves from it once someone (John Oliver, among others) rightly held them up for ridicule.

Old 02-12-2016, 07:56 AM

230 posts, read 161,531 times
I shop at WF as necessary. As pointed out by another poster, there are some grocery items that you may want, which you will not find in your typical grocery store. Also previously noted was that WF 365 brand foods are comparable in price, or in some cases, less expensive. As an example, I buy canned coconut milk regularly. The Giant supermarket sells a name brand coconut milk for $2.79/can. The WF 365 brand costs $2.49, so I go to WF and purchase six or more cans at a time vs. spending the extra at Giant. In general, I don't think WF shoppers are weird. I think these shoppers are folks who know exactly what they want. Having said all that, I just came across this comical piece on shopping at WF. Surviving Whole Foods
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products