Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2016, 01:34 AM

61,713 posts, read 87,123,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
A couple of days ago, Amazon raised the minimum order amount for regular customers to receive free shipping from $35 to $49, citing "increased shipping costs." As a non Prime customer, I already found it difficult to hit the $35 minimum to get the free shipping (which increased from $25 a few years ago) because many of their items cost $34.99. The times I did reach the minimum and placed an order, in stock items have sat in the warehouse a week or more "preparing for shipment," for no reason at all. Then once I received my order, it came piecemeal, arriving in separate shipping boxes.

I'm having trouble buying this increased shipping cost argument once again, especially with gas prices being so low. This seems like a transparent ploy to get non Prime customers to buy Prime. I might actually buy Prime if it weren't for Add-On, Prime Pantry, and the commercials in many of the videos now, but the negatives now present in the Prime program have discouraged me from getting it. Many companies require minimums of $49 already but their prices are more competitive or the shipping is more prompt. Even if I were able to hit the new minimum, I suspect Amazon wouldn't ship out any faster because they will still try to push us to buy Prime.

Are you a Prime member? If you aren't, will the new minimum affect your shopping on Amazon?

Amazon Boosts Free-Shipping Minimum to $49, Elevating Prime Service - Digits - WSJ

I am not Prime member because I don't buy there that much. With the new price hike, I might reconsider my shopping there. Lately I am finding better prices for the same product quite often. Last Christmas, I didn't buy a single item from Amazon. The only thing I liked was one website - one account, no hassle ordering. But, there are other vendors who would like my business...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2016, 06:53 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,962,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
Shipping cost includes wages for those who pick and pack the item, cost of the packaging, cost of the container, cost of the driver wages, cost of regulatory trucking fees, cost of licensing fees, tolls, maintenance cost of the vehicles, material handling consumables.............. Yeah, fuel is the only thing that contributes to "shipping cost"
As a lowly ebay seller who offers free shipping on most of my items, I know this more than most people. After all, I own a truck, pack my own items, pay for tape and boxes, pay for car insurance, pay for my oil changes, and live in one of the most heavily tolled cities in the US But there's a difference between Amazon and myself. I appreciate every single customer when they choose to buy from me, and they don't even have to pay for a membership for me to appreciate them. Maybe it's because I'm a one woman show, and not so huge I've lost sight of what matters.

Old 02-25-2016, 08:20 PM

41,958 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Dude.

Prime.
Did you not read the entire original post?

Old 02-25-2016, 08:29 PM

384 posts, read 734,630 times
Bad move by amazon.

Old 02-25-2016, 09:00 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,769,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
A couple of days ago, Amazon raised the minimum order amount for regular customers to receive free shipping from $35 to $49, citing "increased shipping costs." As a non Prime customer, I already found it difficult to hit the $35 minimum to get the free shipping (which increased from $25 a few years ago) because many of their items cost $34.99. The times I did reach the minimum and placed an order, in stock items have sat in the warehouse a week or more "preparing for shipment," for no reason at all. Then once I received my order, it came piecemeal, arriving in separate shipping boxes.

I'm having trouble buying this increased shipping cost argument once again, especially with gas prices being so low. This seems like a transparent ploy to get non Prime customers to buy Prime. I might actually buy Prime if it weren't for Add-On, Prime Pantry, and the commercials in many of the videos now, but the negatives now present in the Prime program have discouraged me from getting it. Many companies require minimums of $49 already but their prices are more competitive or the shipping is more prompt. Even if I were able to hit the new minimum, I suspect Amazon wouldn't ship out any faster because they will still try to push us to buy Prime.

Are you a Prime member? If you aren't, will the new minimum affect your shopping on Amazon?

Amazon Boosts Free-Shipping Minimum to $49, Elevating Prime Service - Digits - WSJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Dude.

Prime
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Did you not read the entire original post?
The OP asks if you are a Prime member. Stan clearly is a Prime member.

What's the problem?

I myself love Prime. I just ordered something again today - free 2 day shipping. It shows I will have it by Saturday. It's awesome! For the things I buy, I find Amazon very competitively priced.

Old 02-26-2016, 07:39 AM

12,387 posts, read 8,152,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
Shipping cost includes wages for those who pick and pack the item, cost of the packaging, cost of the container, cost of the driver wages, cost of regulatory trucking fees, cost of licensing fees, tolls, maintenance cost of the vehicles, material handling consumables.............. Yeah, fuel is the only thing that contributes to "shipping cost"
Exactly even with services coming online like Google Express and Uber drivers there is more demand then what all the services combined in many areas can handle. Twice this week already because of our work schedules the postal service paid me $56, when you count the overtime needed to fill that commitment (between 7AM and 9AM in rush hour traffic), to deliver three bags of Amazon Fresh groceries to one address and then to return to the station and prepare and carry that day's route leaving me still out on the street delivering your mail at 8 PM

Old 02-26-2016, 10:57 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,486,250 times
Become a prime member and get free shipping.
I got same day shipping for less than 6 bucks!

Old 02-26-2016, 11:19 PM

242 posts, read 244,616 times
I live when prime goes on sale. This increased shipping cost, the additional proceeds paid for my prime discount. Thanks non-prime member.

Old 02-27-2016, 01:34 AM

2,151 posts, read 1,355,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
I never shop on Amazon, it's too expensive and I have to pay tax. If I'm going to order something, I'll check eBay first. I do a lot of ordering from various places, and go through ebates. That way, every 90 days, they send me a little bit of money.
Paying tax on a purchase has to do with the state you live in. With an exception of a few states that do not charge sales & use tax, they all require their residents to pay taxes on purchases from Amazon and other retailers.

Old 02-27-2016, 11:19 AM

15,129 posts, read 32,326,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDoPhysicsPhD View Post
Paying tax on a purchase has to do with the state you live in. With an exception of a few states that do not charge sales & use tax, they all require their residents to pay taxes on purchases from Amazon and other retailers.
I can find the same item on eBay with free shipping and no tax. I have never ordered from Amazon, and doubt if I ever will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products