Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2016, 01:08 PM

13,034 posts, read 17,919,022 times

Advertisements

It has been going on for years but I am now so angry. Manufacturers have been downsizing things for years, a pound of coffee, a 1/2 gallon of ice cream, peanut butter bottoms like a wine bottle denting upward etc.

I buy a flavored water as I don't like water. Recently the brand Fruit2O changed their bottle and cap. The bottle is now so flimsy that almost without fail in order to get the teeny cap off you have to grip the bottle and I spill the water. I called and was told they were doing their part to reduce the impact on the environment.

Now yesterday, I bought Lipton Tea. I am not a connoisseur so I don't buy Constant Comment, or Earl Gray for example, but have always bought Lipton because it was individually wrapped and I felt kept it fresh. You can imagine my shock when I opened the box to find 4 sleeves of 25 bags each in one gold foil sealed paper The minute you open it and take one the rest are exposed. It resembles a bound of butter.

The outside of the box says Bright new look /same great taste. There is a little tea leaf cutout and you see the gold foil but I thought it was a new foil individual wrap. Once you open the box, there is a bunch flowery descriptive writing about he new box and then it says.

"By moving from individual paper wraps to wrapped Stay fFresh trays, we are reducing the overall material usage, which has a positive impact on the environment."

I call, horsefeathers. It is all about saving a buck on their end. I do not believe for even one millisecond that a totally unwrapped teabag will remain as fresh as one wrapped. I am not foolish enough to think that paper is like saran wrap in sealing things in, but I refuse to believe this new sleeve will keep the tea s fresh. I now have it in a zip lock to keep the freshness as much as I can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2016, 01:17 PM

22,265 posts, read 47,198,180 times
And, on the other hand, DH and I were glad they went to the 25 pack!
We LIKE that the bags are ready to go, as we go through a sleeve every 4 or 5 days (more often in the summer).

It will stay fresh for weeks, so no need to worry!

Old 01-30-2016, 02:57 PM

15,110 posts, read 27,567,932 times
Lipton switched to the foil trays at least a yr. ago. For the record, I don't like it either and did call them about it. I keep mine in a canister, btw, the paper doesn't keep them any fresher than no wrapping.

I mostly don't like it because when I go visit/stay over at folks places I bring tea bags as most are coffee drinkers - I just like them individually wrapped for that reason.

Old 01-30-2016, 04:25 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,105 posts, read 80,190,829 times
Try Tetley, 80 bags in a box, not individually wrapped but they don't seem to go stale. Much better than Lipton, and though it runs $4-5 at the supermarket, it's one of the few things we get at Walmart, for $2-3. If you are worried about freshness, put the teabags in a zip bag.

Old 01-30-2016, 06:59 PM

13,034 posts, read 17,919,022 times
I guess if it is around a year I may have missed it due to buying smaller quantity boxes or maybe even older stock. However, I will often take a couple of tea bags in my bag and now they have to be in a ziplock. I felt the paper wrap kept them clean and fresh, as in free of dust and it always made for a nice presentation. I don't have canisters so now they are in a ziplock in the box in my drawers opposed to just in the box individually wrapped.

Again, the part that upsets me more than anything is the dishonesty in the presentation of the packaging. Lipton is more worried about preservation of their bottom line than the environment and to they are not alone. I would bet that if protecting the environment cost them more, they would be less worried about protecting the environment and more worried about their bottom line and probably would not have made the change. I suspect they see it opportunistically as a way to improve profit margins and look like a hero to the environmentalists.

I am all for protection of our resources but let's call a spade, a spade.

Old 01-30-2016, 09:48 PM

2,008 posts, read 1,237,904 times
Same thing with Toaster Strudel. They proudly proclaim on the box now, "30% MORE ICING!" Well yeah, that's great, but the pastry itself is now the size (and thickness) of a business card.

Old 01-30-2016, 11:26 PM

41,737 posts, read 74,692,347 times
So buy a different brand of tea. Or drink it faster. Store it in a sealed canister or tin. Problem solved.

Old 01-31-2016, 02:56 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,271,327 times
Yeah, I vote with my pocketbook. If I don't like what they're doing, I buy somewhere else. And I figure, if I'm doing it, I'm not the only one. If they happen to give me the opportunity - or I seek it out - to voice my dissatisfaction - then I let them know why I'm buying somewhere else.

Old 01-31-2016, 06:39 AM

2,936 posts, read 2,319,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
It has been going on for years but I am now so angry. Manufacturers have been downsizing things for years, a pound of coffee, a 1/2 gallon of ice cream, peanut butter bottoms like a wine bottle denting upward etc.

I buy a flavored water as I don't like water. Recently the brand Fruit2O changed their bottle and cap. The bottle is now so flimsy that almost without fail in order to get the teeny cap off you have to grip the bottle and I spill the water. I called and was told they were doing their part to reduce the impact on the environment.
While this might be new for Fruit2O, many other bottled water companies have already switched to this style bottle. I know you think it's a bottom line thing and maybe it is, but that doesn't mean it being better for the environment is a lie.

People drink way too much bottled water, it's a huge waste. I only keep bottled water on hand for an emergency or events (sports, concerts) that allow you to bring in a sealed bottle.

I understand you can't buy Fruit2O in able big bottle, have you looked into the mix in packets or the liquid flavors?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Now yesterday, I bought Lipton Tea. I am not a connoisseur so I don't buy Constant Comment, or Earl Gray for example, but have always bought Lipton because it was individually wrapped and I felt kept it fresh. You can imagine my shock when I opened the box to find 4 sleeves of 25 bags each in one gold foil sealed paper The minute you open it and take one the rest are exposed. It resembles a bound of butter.

The outside of the box says Bright new look /same great taste. There is a little tea leaf cutout and you see the gold foil but I thought it was a new foil individual wrap. Once you open the box, there is a bunch flowery descriptive writing about he new box and then it says.

"By moving from individual paper wraps to wrapped Stay fFresh trays, we are reducing the overall material usage, which has a positive impact on the environment."

I call, horsefeathers. It is all about saving a buck on their end. I do not believe for even one millisecond that a totally unwrapped teabag will remain as fresh as one wrapped. I am not foolish enough to think that paper is like saran wrap in sealing things in, but I refuse to believe this new sleeve will keep the tea s fresh. I now have it in a zip lock to keep the freshness as much as I can.
This one I truly believe is environmental, there is no need for individual wrapping. If you're someone who only drinks tea occasionally put the other bags in an air tight container. The higher end teas like Republic of Tea (my favorite) come in cans without wrappers. They actually stay fresh longer then the paper wrapped bags.

I totally agree that lowering product size, but keeping costs the same is running rampant! And often you don't notice the transition unless you hit it at the perfect time where both the old and new are on the shelf together.

Old 01-31-2016, 08:33 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,524,608 times
bag of chips is about half air.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products