Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2016, 01:55 PM

9,842 posts, read 7,586,856 times

Advertisements

I rarely wear glasses mostly contacts. Though I like to give my eyes a break especially when working night shift. Any recommendations about online sites to use? Are is it worth it buying it online?

Appreciate the feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2016, 01:58 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,217,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
I rarely wear glasses mostly contacts. Though I like to give my eyes a break especially when working night shift. Any recommendations about online sites to use? Are is it worth it buying it online?

Appreciate the feedback.
Zenni Optical is very good. My family gets all their glasses from Zenni.

Zenni Optical | Affordable Rx Eyeglasses Online

Old 02-25-2016, 03:23 PM

93 posts, read 129,510 times
I'm also very happy with Zenni. Frames are a bit flimsy. Not sure if it's in my head, but I feel like the clarity of the lenses aren't as good as those from my optometrist. But given that my Zenni glasses are $20-$30 dollars, it's a sacrifice I gladly make. Becomes very practical to buy extra pairs for backups or to stash around.

When getting your prescription, make sure they give you your Pupillary Distance. For some reason, I find it's never given to me unless I ask.

Old 02-25-2016, 03:23 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,862,289 times
Quote:

Appreciate the feedback.
I've gotten flamed for discouraging people from buying glasses online on other threads, but I'll offer you this advice, since I'm an optician and I'm in the biz. If you have a simple prescription, online ordering would probably work fine, especially since you don't wear them often. But if you have a complex prescription and you need hi-index, progressives, prisms, or other special requirements, brick and mortar is your friend. If you do go to a brick and mortar place, don't be afraid to negotiate. Usually the price they quote you isn't their bottom line; it's just a starting point, and they can go a little lower, although not much.

Old 02-25-2016, 05:45 PM

9,842 posts, read 7,586,856 times
Appreciate the advice I don't want to pay more than $100 with insurance for eyeglasses just not worth it.

Old 02-26-2016, 11:33 AM

15,111 posts, read 32,137,448 times
If you have a membership, Costco is the way to go. My lined bifocals cost $165 at Costco, and the eyeglass shop where I found frames that I liked would have charged me $300.

Old 02-28-2016, 02:41 AM

25 posts, read 37,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by photobuff42 View Post

Zenni Optical | Affordable Rx Eyeglasses Online

I get VA glasses, but I go to the dollar store and get glasses there.

Old 03-13-2016, 12:41 PM

21 posts, read 19,081 times
Zennioptical is good if you looking for something cheap. Costal if you need something better.
For contact lenses I use Contactsprice price comparison- always can find a good deal. I used to buy at 1800contacts but now they are too expensive for me.

Old 03-20-2016, 11:43 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,862,289 times
Quote:
Appreciate the advice I don't want to pay more than $100 with insurance for eyeglasses just not worth it.
You may be able to. It depends on what you get. If you only wear glasses as a backup, you can reject the optional coatings like anti-reflective coating and Transitions, which will save you a bundle. Many insurance plans will completely cover or cover most all the cost of your frame, and most plans also cover the cost of single vision lenses. But it depends on the insurance. Some plans are better than others. Vision Service Plan offers the best coverage overall.

Old 03-29-2016, 09:38 AM

26,144 posts, read 19,703,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by photobuff42
Would they sell you PLAIN GLASS??

I have been waring glasses with 1 lens for months cause I cannot find a good replacement...... My eyes start hurting when I put them on..... (feel funny) -- One time they gave me FILTERED GLASS and that was the reason..... I have always liked PLAIN GLASS... I have big frames like most of had in the 80d and earlier and it sickens me I cannot find good replacements for my one lens.... (I cant see as good thru them or they bother me)

I dunno..... Things keep getting worse and worse!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products