Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2016, 08:29 AM

2,118 posts, read 6,800,189 times

Advertisements

I wasn't sure what forum to post this under. This is the second time I've had these strange markings show up on a shirt after washing it. I thought maybe there was a pen in the washer, but there wasn't. Anyone have any idea where these stains may have come from? They were not there before I washed the shirt and I can't get them out no matter what I use. This is the 2nd shirt I can't wear anymore because of these stains. I am assuming it happened in the washer and not the dryer, because I put a white shirt in the dryer too (it wasn't in the washer) and it has no marks on it.
Attached Thumbnails
Strange marks on shirt after washing-img_20160228_101602706.jpg   Strange marks on shirt after washing-img_20160228_101552279.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2016, 08:42 AM

15,128 posts, read 27,669,144 times
I don't know what it's from but I had a shirt that something similar happened to and a friend told me to try Windex!!! (the regular, original kind) - I figured it couldn't hurt - took the dark stuff right out!!

Old 02-28-2016, 11:38 AM

23,563 posts, read 70,158,065 times
A quick web search and some thinking comes up with the following possibilities:

First, the washer itself may not be clean. Front loaders have a wide rubber seal. Pull that back and you may find mold or rust or a buildup of schmutz. Older washers might have rust in hidden spots, like the outside of the drum.

Second, detergent - especially HE detergent - has a low sudsing agent that can apparently stain if it gets on clothes without being properly diluted. Liquid fabric softener can create greasy patches, but they are commonly clear or bluish.

Third, the water supply itself can be suspect.

If the stains aren't set, it is said that oxyclean will take them out. Also, my wife discovered that detergents with enzyme cleaners must be used with WARM water to be effective, and for stubborn stains, soaking the garment in a bucket or plastic bowl with warm water and some enzyme detergent for an hour will release a lot of stains.

So, clean the washer itself, run it on a cycle with no clothes and heavy bleach, with hot water in the detergent and fabric softener dispensers to purge those, then when you put HE detergent in the dispenser, mix it with a little water first to dilute it.

Old 02-28-2016, 02:11 PM

2,118 posts, read 6,800,189 times
Wow about the Windex. I will see what I have. Ours is a top loader. This hasn't happened in quite a while, but I will inspect the machine. I think I can rule out anything to do with the detergent. It is not HE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products