Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 11:09 PM

135 posts, read 525,807 times

Advertisements

Harris Teeter-supermarket-. One night, I left two bags of groceries in a shopping cart. I knew exactly what I left, kept my receipt and everything. It so happens, the store manager's son and I were old high-school classmates and I knew the family pretty well. At any rate, I called the store and spoke to that particular manager-General manager- and he agreed to let me pick up the items again, no questions asked. Well I return to the store, go to Customer Service and I get the pleasure of dealing with Mr. Assistant Manager. He states he was aware of the situation, but needed to check a few things out first. He has a certain suspicion in his tone, I knew this wouldn't be seamless. My thoughts: I don't scam anyone, much less grocery stores get real. Anyway this guy brings me to their office in the back and then proceeds to show me a security tape that shows I carried all of my bags out of the store. I retort: "Surely, I didn't park my vehicle in the store, so do you have footage from the parking lot?" Of course not, because thats where I left the bags, OUTSIDE. At this point, I was irate and demanded my groceries because I shopped there almost on a daily basis and he flat out refused. Things were escalated in that store for a moment, he threatened to call the police and I welcomed the opportunity. At that point, my girlfriend pleaded with me to go and common sense kicked in, so I left. I returned to the store the next day, when the GM was working, told him about my experience from the day prior and will never forget the satisfication of watching him eat crow with the forced apology and forced handshake he had to give me. This was still the worst customer service experience though.

Last edited by Charleston Class; 02-16-2008 at 11:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2008, 09:35 AM

268 posts, read 1,159,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charleston Class View Post
Harris Teeter-supermarket-. One night, I left two bags of groceries in a shopping cart. I knew exactly what I left, kept my receipt and everything. It so happens, the store manager's son and I were old high-school classmates and I knew the family pretty well. At any rate, I called the store and spoke to that particular manager-General manager- and he agreed to let me pick up the items again, no questions asked. Well I return to the store, go to Customer Service and I get the pleasure of dealing with Mr. Assistant Manager. He states he was aware of the situation, but needed to check a few things out first. He has a certain suspicion in his tone, I knew this wouldn't be seamless. My thoughts: I don't scam anyone, much less grocery stores get real. Anyway this guy brings me to their office in the back and then proceeds to show me a security tape that shows I carried all of my bags out of the store. I retort: "Surely, I didn't park my vehicle in the store, so do you have footage from the parking lot?" Of course not, because thats where I left the bags, OUTSIDE. At this point, I was irate and demanded my groceries because I shopped there almost on a daily basis and he flat out refused. Things were escalated in that store for a moment, he threatened to call the police and I welcomed the opportunity. At that point, my girlfriend pleaded with me to go and common sense kicked in, so I left. I returned to the store the next day, when the GM was working, told him about my experience from the day prior and will never forget the satisfication of watching him eat crow with the forced apology and forced handshake he had to give me. This was still the worst customer service experience though.
I'm hoping you accidentally left these bags and not on purpose? Because I am thinking, why would you leave your purchases or any other belongings unattended in a parking lot overnight? It's unfortunate that the assistant manager wasn't more understanding that you didn't see two whole bags of stuff left in your cart before you rushed off.

Old 02-17-2008, 10:03 AM

1,482 posts, read 5,174,271 times
Quote:
This was still the worst customer service experience though.
This sounds like the best customer service possible. Personally, I would have told you to hit the bricks. I'm shocked that they caved to your demands after you told them essentially you threw the groceries away.

Old 02-17-2008, 07:49 PM

Thumbs up Just you know

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImRandy View Post
This sounds like the best customer service possible. Personally, I would have told you to hit the bricks. I'm shocked that they caved to your demands after you told them essentially you threw the groceries away.
So I take it you've never misplaced anything? Sure thing. The assistant manager's lack of customer service and insinuation is what was insulting . If you'll recall in my first post, I never blamed anyone for the fact that I left two bags on the bottom rack of a shopping cart, I was in fact rushing that night. Who brought in the carts that night? Also this store was in a very nice area, so the odds of anyone stealing the groceries were laughable. Anyway, the right thing happened that day. BTW if it were you working that night, I'm certain the final outcome would have been the same, your opinion or "decision" of sorts would not have mattered, I would have gotten my groceries, especially if you were an ASSISTANT to the manager. Even the General Manager has a superior, you see there is always a chain of command and if I suspect what I'm being advised of is bull***, I will without compunction escalate to the highest level.

Last edited by Charleston Class; 02-17-2008 at 08:11 PM..

Old 02-20-2008, 06:50 PM

502 posts, read 1,066,384 times
Quote:
So I take it you've never misplaced anything? Sure thing. The assistant manager's lack of customer service and insinuation is what was insulting . If you'll recall in my first post, I never blamed anyone for the fact that I left two bags on the bottom rack of a shopping cart, I was in fact rushing that night. Who brought in the carts that night? Also this store was in a very nice area, so the odds of anyone stealing the groceries were laughable..
That statement in itself is laughable and incredibly classist. Do you think that maybe the groceries never made it back in the store? That maybe if someone responsible for bringing the shopping carts back in would have noticed two bags of groceries they would have mentioned it to someone? That your buddy told his coworker that you'd be coming in and he, curious at not having heard of groceries coming back in, might have checked the tapes and saw you leaving with them? That he then, not knowing about your impeccable ethics, would have smelled scam and been on his guard? That maybe you got your groceries so you'd shut up about it and let people do their jobs? That your buddy is embarrassed among his colleagues to be your buddy? That maybe the business took a ding in the pocket because you wanted them to compensate you for your mistake? That it speaks to the way you were raised that you complain until you fianlly get what you want? That your girlfriend has talked about this incident with her friends in supported mortification?

Just raising a dubious hypothesis, of course. I'm sure that's not what happened.

Old 02-20-2008, 07:09 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Quote:
Also this store was in a very nice area, so the odds of anyone stealing the groceries were laughable.
Shoplifters know no boundaries. Even the toniest suburbs of Scranton, PA have purse-snatchings, pickpocketers, etc. Being in an "affluent" area makes no difference. If I'm not mistaken there's a county in Maryland just outside of Washington, DC that is very well-heeled but also has a very high crime rate (perhaps Prince George's County?) The managers in my store are CONSTANTLY trying to round people up to discretely spy on suspected shoplifters, and the police are interminably in our parking lot.

Old 02-20-2008, 10:56 PM

Default Funny guy you are

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorado native View Post
That statement in itself is laughable and incredibly classist. Do you think that maybe the groceries never made it back in the store? That maybe if someone responsible for bringing the shopping carts back in would have noticed two bags of groceries they would have mentioned it to someone? That your buddy told his coworker that you'd be coming in and he, curious at not having heard of groceries coming back in, might have checked the tapes and saw you leaving with them? That he then, not knowing about your impeccable ethics, would have smelled scam and been on his guard? That maybe you got your groceries so you'd shut up about it and let people do their jobs? That your buddy is embarrassed among his colleagues to be your buddy? That maybe the business took a ding in the pocket because you wanted them to compensate you for your mistake? That it speaks to the way you were raised that you complain until you fianlly get what you want? That your girlfriend has talked about this incident with her friends in supported mortification? Just raising a dubious hypothesis, of course. I'm sure that's not what happened.
Well of course you're not sure guy, thats what makes your post aimless and did I mention stupid? I suppose I could draw some conclusions about the type of person you are based on your ridiculous post, but then my "hypothesis-lol" would be as pointless as your post. As a consumer, I'm not interested in hearing about why an employee is unsure of a policy or procedure. If he had reservations or questions about doing the transaction, he should have communicated those questions to the manager. At the point when I'm store with my receipt in hand, its not my issue and I have no inclination but to get what I want and what I was promised. His job was to diffuse the situation and he failed to do this. I was advised I could retrieve the groceries with no questions asked. Why did the lady in customer service confirm the phone call and information given from the night before, but the jerk off Assistant still doesn't believe this is warranted? Please. As I said before, he ate a healthy serving of crow in the end and it was very satisfying to me, because the situation was not handled in the best manner. Relatively speaking, the company did not lose anything by letting me retrieve the few items that I left, they retained a long-time customer-this happened in 2004, as I still shop there and if you know anything about sustaining a business, surely you understand this concept. You almost sound offended that I got my way about this but don't worry, it's my job to argue and win.

Last edited by Charleston Class; 02-20-2008 at 11:12 PM..

Old 02-20-2008, 11:06 PM

Thumbs up True enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWB View Post
Shoplifters know no boundaries. Even the toniest suburbs of Scranton, PA have purse-snatchings, pickpocketers, etc. Being in an "affluent" area makes no difference. If I'm not mistaken there's a county in Maryland just outside of Washington, DC that is very well-heeled but also has a very high crime rate (perhaps Prince George's County?) The managers in my store are CONSTANTLY trying to round people up to discretely spy on suspected shoplifters, and the police are interminably in our parking lot.
Agreed, there is a false sense of security in suburban areas at times. To further prove your point, I still do not know what happened to those two bags.

Old 02-20-2008, 11:20 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Quote:
Agreed, there is a false sense of security in suburban areas at times. To further prove your point, I still do not know what happened to those two bags.
I tend to be an optimist, so let us just assume and pray that a hungry elderly woman found them and used them to have a warm meal that evening.

Old 02-21-2008, 12:49 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,722,762 times
I've done that before...just sort of figured I was out of luck.

Though I have left things inside the store and had to go back to get them and didn't have a problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products