Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 10:07 AM

73 posts, read 259,335 times

Advertisements

Hi all. I'm considering buying a sofa from Penney online, without having an opportunity to see it and sit in it. The site tells me these aren't in the stores. But it's about 1/2 price of comparable ones I'm seeing online, and the reviews on the JCP site are favorable....meaning I don't necessarily trust them. I can't find reviews other places on the web, which is suspicious to me.

All the affordable local stores in my area have very "puffy" sofas and we are looking for a pared-down (more rigid, 50s/60s) style to replace one that we have that's gotten too saggy.

So I'm hoping somebody in this community might have an opinion to share.

Has anybody bought a sofa from Penney?

I'm interested in:

comfort, how long it lasted, if craftsmanship was shoddy.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2013, 10:16 AM

I realize the store/chain is in huge trouble... I have scoured the thread below. But I'm still curious about the quality of a sofa I'm considering buying any day now!

//www.city-data.com/forum/shopp...survive-6.html

Old 01-22-2013, 10:55 AM

22,566 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Like most things nowadays, it depends on the particular sofa, WHO actually makes it and WHERE it is made.
Tough to comment on quality otherwise.

Decades ago, I had a wonderful sofa and loveseat bought through JCP. It was made by Broyhill, and I had zero complaints about it. Foam was great, frame held up, etc.
After a few years, I redid the living room, and the couch traveled to Ohio where a church got it for their youth room. It lasted many years there....
A college kid got the loveseat, and it was passed to another when she graduated.

Old 01-22-2013, 11:12 AM

8,954 posts, read 20,673,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by siri View Post
Hi all. I'm considering buying a sofa from Penney online, without having an opportunity to see it and sit in it. The site tells me these aren't in the stores. But it's about 1/2 price of comparable ones I'm seeing online, and the reviews on the JCP site are favorable....meaning I don't necessarily trust them. I can't find reviews other places on the web, which is suspicious to me.

All the affordable local stores in my area have very "puffy" sofas and we are looking for a pared-down (more rigid, 50s/60s) style to replace one that we have that's gotten too saggy.

So I'm hoping somebody in this community might have an opinion to share.

Has anybody bought a sofa from Penney?

I'm interested in:

comfort, how long it lasted, if craftsmanship was shoddy.

Thanks in advance.
We have a sofa bed, a custom built electric recliner, a regular recliner , all of my clothing from J.C.Penney's that have , and still are, serving us very well.

J.C.Penney's has been our "go to" store for over 40 years with not one regret.

Old 01-22-2013, 12:24 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,545,163 times
There online store reviews may be moderated. Most retailers would prefer complaints go through Customer Service before posting bad reviews.

Just Google JCPenney complaints, heres one site with a total of 505.

505 Complaints and Reviews about J.C. Penney

Old 01-22-2013, 01:01 PM

Oh boy! Now I'm completely confused! The JCP complaints I just read are gruesome, but about similar to ones I read for Sears and so many online-only "stores".... particularly about late-arrivals, broken-upon-arrival, staples poking out.... !!!!!

I appreciate all the favorable comments some of you have made, but I'm wondering if the merchandise quality has gone way down in the recent years. I can't afford to make a $900 mistake!

I'll have to keep my thinking cap on, and reconsider re-upholstering my old sofa, which at least has good "bones"....

Old 01-22-2013, 03:42 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,760,706 times
I'd never buy a sofa without sitting on it!

Old 01-22-2013, 03:58 PM

I'm beginning to agree with you, Flamingo13! In fact, I've been reading reviews of many people dealing with stores where the one they sat in at the store is DIFFERENT from the one that was delivered! (Different kind of foam; much softer; much harder, etc.) So what are we to do now? Insist that the one we buy is actually the one in the store? What if we choose a different color, etc.? Yikes!

Old 01-22-2013, 04:14 PM

22,566 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
I'd never buy a sofa without sitting on it!
Nor would I!
Anything upholstered has to be tried out first.

Old 01-22-2013, 05:57 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
Check where it was manufactured and the type of material for construction. If it's made overseas it's probably all cheap composite materials, if it's made in the USA then you probably will get a quality piece of furniture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products