Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2016, 04:48 PM

15,218 posts, read 10,308,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Having worked retail in a few of my past lives, I'd say 97% of the returns were BS. The items listed in this thread are correct plus many more.
The main reason I return something is because I didn't want to try it on in the store and when I got it home it didn't fit or I liked it when I was in the store and didn't so much when I got it home. Or I bought the wrong thing or size (drip pans for my stove, a/c filter). The only time I have ever returned something that was used or worn was when it had a defect
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2016, 04:52 PM

15,218 posts, read 10,308,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
I don't want to buy a bra that someone has "worn for a few hours" and then returned!

Me either - one of the reasons I always wash new bras & panties before wearing them. You never know who had them on first and for how long.

Old 04-24-2016, 06:42 PM

2,138 posts, read 3,589,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymoencurly View Post
I am astounded by how many stores put obviously defective or smashed merchandise back on the shelf but "assure" me they thoroughly inspect it first. As someone who works in retail, can you explain why so many other workers like about this?
Frys Electronics is the worst about this. I once bought a returned portable harddrive complete with a virus on it! No sooner had I plugged it in to the USB port that I got an AV software alert.

They tried to tell me the lie that that was impossible because it had been "thoroughly tested."

And I have bought motherboards and explained that after several hours of use and depending on heat, etc. the motherboard would fail to boot up. They verify that it boots up ONCE, throw a sticker on it and put it on the shelve for a whopping 3-5% discount!

Now if they only have in stock an item that has been returned I pass.

Don in Austin

Old 04-25-2016, 01:59 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,776,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Me either - one of the reasons I always wash new bras & panties before wearing them. You never know who had them on first and for how long.
Absolutely! I wash everything before wearing it but it's flat out wrong to wear something (bra, clothing, whatever) for "a few hrs." and then return it.

Old 04-25-2016, 07:42 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,251,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Working in retail I can tell you I am astounded by how many people use mdse and set it back on the shelf, shoplift, price switch tags, attempt coupon fraud, try to pass bad checks/stolen cards and make bogus returns. Most of them don't see anything wrong with what they do. It really gives you a whole new outlook on people.
There are places I no longer shop regularly because I've had problems buying products that were removed and replaced. I'm not paying 15 bucks for cleaner that's water. And, now, since I really look at the packaging, and if I really want it, will open up the box to make sure it's there, the right product and not tampered with -- I'm taking up empty boxes left on shelves -- product stolen.

One of the worst ones -- I bought a new bath scale before I practiced what I am talking about here, got it home and discovered the scuzziest nasty looking 40 year old scale. I took it back to Target and returned it, and she put it back in the go back wall... SO SOMEONE ELSE WAS GOING TO GET TO BUY IT AGAIN.

Old 04-26-2016, 01:34 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,889,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarMaDraMa View Post
Everytime I go to just about any department store or speciality store, I always see at least one person returning items. I can understand if people return items that don't fit, are broken, etc. But are ill-fitting clothes and broken merchandise the most common reason for returns or are people actually "renting" items instead of buying?
Well here is the thing. Often with clothes, you cant tell how good it is until you use it. Today I had to return a pair of insoles to one store that I could only try on after actually trying and using them. I mean how can I know an insole dont for my foot until trying it out? Luckily I was returned fine. Other times I haven't exactly been lucky but normally I only return items of they are defective especially within a wearing or two.

In fact I am in the middle of an issue with an Amazon third party seller. I bought a S.T.A.R. Labs shirt as seen on The Flash. The item came late for one and upon first wearing, rip... I get a hole under the collar as I take it off some nine hours after first putting it on. The seller is allowing me to return it but the kicker is I have to ship it on my own damn dime. In essence, I could very well take a loss on it after buying a box or shipping envelope for it. I did message them about this issue but it will likely go nowhere. Safe to say I am highly unlikely to buy from this seller again...

Old 04-26-2016, 01:38 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,889,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
There are places I no longer shop regularly because I've had problems buying products that were removed and replaced. I'm not paying 15 bucks for cleaner that's water. And, now, since I really look at the packaging, and if I really want it, will open up the box to make sure it's there, the right product and not tampered with -- I'm taking up empty boxes left on shelves -- product stolen.

One of the worst ones -- I bought a new bath scale before I practiced what I am talking about here, got it home and discovered the scuzziest nasty looking 40 year old scale. I took it back to Target and returned it, and she put it back in the go back wall... SO SOMEONE ELSE WAS GOING TO GET TO BUY IT AGAIN.
Yeah, I now try to double check anything I can. I actually found this out the hard way with a cologne I actually bought at The Dollar Tree. It was I think the Ed Hardy Impression and it didn't have a atomizer press. Luckily, they allowed me to return it but I wonder if it went back on the shelf or not. To be fair though, all you have to do is replace it with another tip from another but I wasnt going to try and see if I could do that or not... Now, I check any dollar store colonge now to prevent this issue.

Old 05-02-2016, 02:21 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,277,139 times
My return habits vary with what I've bought and where I bought it from.

Often if we're doing a home project, we buy more materials than we need. If the surplus is returnable (it almost always is), we return it. No biggie. Nothing wrong with it, we just didn't need it.

The only time I return clothing is if it doesn't fit. Sam's sells super-cheap clothes but has no fitting rooms, so it's a toss-up. I return what doesn't fit. Ditto if I order something online. (I always check the store's policy before heading over to their brick & mortar location to make sure that I can return online purchases in person.)

I've returned produce a couple of times, always because it spoiled within 24 hours of bringing it home or was infested with bugs.

I've returned electronics before that were utter garbage or didn't work. I've returned kitchen gadgets that fell apart after one use. You bet your butt I do.

I'm not a jerk about it, though. I don't "rent" clothes and I don't buy things anticipating having to return them. I don't like doing returns, it's a beating at most stores. Being super-polite, having the item packed up just like I found it, and having my receipt helps a lot.

But I'm not going to lie and say I never do it. I do it maybe 4-5 times a year.

Old 05-02-2016, 11:09 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,657,392 times
There was once a case I saw on television where somebody tried to return a silverware set. And some of the silverware still had food remnants on it.

Old 05-03-2016, 10:37 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,480,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarMaDraMa View Post
Everytime I go to just about any department store or speciality store, I always see at least one person returning items. I can understand if people return items that don't fit, are broken, etc. But are ill-fitting clothes and broken merchandise the most common reason for returns or are people actually "renting" items instead of buying?

It's pretty common people are just renting them. At large department stores employees just have to smile and act like they don't suspect a thing...but they all know what's going on. I have seen sooo much of this it's not even funny. So glad I'm not working retail anymore. I worked at Macy's for 10 years. What a place that was...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products