Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2016, 10:49 PM

2,508 posts, read 2,167,921 times

Advertisements

I love Amazon. It's my #1 place for purchasing CD's, Blu-ray, and Books. The ones I want are typically tough to find at brick & mortar stores. I also like the convenience of having the items delivered to your door - fantastic. No more driving around to various stores looking for something that they may not have anyway.

As far as the shipping, if you build up your orders until you have $49 or over (I think that's the amount), then you get free shipping. What's not to like?

As far as Amazon causing brick & mortar stores to go out of business - I hate driving & also hate shopping at those stores anyway. So, if a company like Amazon can save me money, gas, and time, they'll always have my business.

Last edited by The Big Lebowski Dude; 04-27-2016 at 11:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2016, 06:47 AM

7,998 posts, read 12,692,233 times
They are getting slow shipping things. I am a "Prime" member and bought an item Monday that was "in stock" and "sold by Amazon". It took them til Thursday to actually ship it. Had I known they would delay shipping the item I might have bought elsewhere.

Two weeks ago they did the same thing except it took a full week for them to actually ship it.

Old 04-30-2016, 08:06 PM

2,391 posts, read 5,032,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgr555 View Post
Nothing beats Amazon. These days eBay is about the same for certain items without the Prime $100/yr fee.

Try Amazon Pantry for groceries also.

However, if you want computer or electronics, check out Microcenter. You have to drive north from NYC but their in-store deals for computer parts and such are even cheaper than Amazon (i.e. if you're building a computer, mobo+ram+cpu combo). I guess they expect you to buy other stuff while you are there to make up the margin.

And be patient for what you want and look at Slickdeals: The Best Deals, Coupons, Promo Codes & Discounts

Other than that, Amazon wins. These days many zip codes in NYC are same-day shipping which is insane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
I have no use for Amazon. Between eBay and Walmart.com, I can easily find what I need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
Walmart.com is good, too. Great shipping rates! But I'll never buy from Ebay again. I was defrauded twice (the items weren't as described), and two were supposedly broken in transit (I suspect they were broken before, and the seller was pawning off a broken item....or at best, they were wrapped not worth a darn) which required me to try to get recompensed from the USPS. They weren't costly enough items to take it to the Ebay thing that handles fraud. Never again. Fool me once......

I use to sell on Ebay and at one time, it was a good but now it is not. It was good way back when because stuff for me sold but no more. It took a lot of time to list my items and spent many of nights up till 2 am listing stuff from an Estate. Someone did complain or give me feedback (I forgot since it was so long ago) of something they received that was broken. If they would of contacted me, I would of refunded their money or exchanged it for free. I'm sorry for your issues you had with Ebay, but I treated my customers very well. Some of them and I got to be good friends and kept in touch for quite a while. Anyways, I hope it wasn't me. These were coffee cups and I wrapped them so well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
I just got through Amazon a sound equalizer to use with the T.V. as a gift for one of my sons. It keeps from having the high and low sounds one you can hardly hear one second and a second later blast you out of the house is you have sensitive ears.
Bought one for my wife 3 years ago, and was the best investment I ever made.

$49.76 with free shipping from Amazon. $86 from EBay. And over $100 from other sources.

Buy our non perishable groceries from Walmart on line. Find I save about 20% over their brick and mortar store, and over 40% savings over our local independent store. Free shipping. On top of that to get to the closest big name store which is Walmart is an hours drive each way. Sit at my computer at home. Have a much better choice than in the store as to brands, etc. Save a 2 hour trip which gets expensive when you add in car expense. Save having to walk all over the store. Save the time spent for checkout, and loading it in the car. It is delivered to our door, and as I keep a wagon there with a sign to put all boxes in he wagon, all I have to do is pull it into the house and unload it into our pantry. Will never go back to buying non perishables the old fashioned way at the store..

I would be skeptical of the grocery items because it may be old and out dated from Amazon even tho they list stuff as new. I see they have my dog's joint chews, but the picture on the package is not the same as in the store I found when I was out of state. The pet store told me that it could be old because the company changed the photo on the package. Do your items you buy have expired dates on it~? Or do you not worry about such things~? I can't find it locally and am going to have to order them from Amazon or somewhere else.

I've only bought once from Amazon and since I did, I'm able to ask questions in the community. Right now it seems as tho one seller I questioned isn't listing her dog x-pen correctly in dimensions or anything and doesn't even know other info. Like it is 2 inches across and she told me and corrected the x-pen to 32 inches across the top. I'm not trying to be rough on the seller, but I can't see or feel the item and need info in order to make my decision to order it. I can't find it locally and need an x-pen for my dog. But other people I've asked questions to seem to know about their products. Do any of you all have issues like I have~?

Old 04-30-2016, 08:21 PM

2,648 posts, read 2,300,850 times
I love Amazon.

Twice I've purchased something that I didn't like, or didn't fit and they told me there was no need to send it back but we'll refund your money.. and they did.

Veggienut.. I get the impression sometimes that some of these 3rd party sellers don't speak or understand English very well. Try to stick to Amazon products, not 3rd party sellers. The 3rd party sellers don't always have the best return policies either.

Old 04-30-2016, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliedeee View Post
I love Amazon.

Twice I've purchased something that I didn't like, or didn't fit and they told me there was no need to send it back but we'll refund your money.. and they did.

Veggienut.. I get the impression sometimes that some of these 3rd party sellers don't speak or understand English very well. Try to stick to Amazon products, not 3rd party sellers. The 3rd party sellers don't always have the best return policies either.

Thanks for the info. She (I presume) didn't know the answer to the feel or thickness of the x-pen because it was in the warehouse or somewhere else other than where she was. I presume it was made and in China (or some country) and that is why she didn't know the answer. The words written to my answer seem quite English and phrased correctly.

Old 04-30-2016, 08:38 PM

50 posts, read 44,736 times
I prefer both of them eBay and Amazon. For any assistance both 2 are best according to my mind.

Old 04-30-2016, 08:41 PM

2,648 posts, read 2,300,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggienut View Post
Thanks for the info. She (I presume) didn't know the answer to the feel or thickness of the x-pen because it was in the warehouse or somewhere else other than where she was. I presume it was made and in China (or some country) and that is why she didn't know the answer. The words written to my answer seem quite English and phrased correctly.
What is the X pen anyway? If it's dog related I probably have it.. LOL Nevermind, I looked it up.. I don't have that one. I bought the plastic ones.

Maybe you'd have better luck looking it up on another website? You could just google the name and product and you might find out more info. that way.

Old 04-30-2016, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliedeee View Post
What is the X pen anyway? If it's dog related I probably have it.. LOL Nevermind, I looked it up.. I don't have that one. I bought the plastic ones.

Maybe you'd have better luck looking it up on another website? You could just google the name and product and you might find out more info. that way.

If only where I live (the biggest city in the state) would have it and other stuff, but they don't unfortunately~! Nor do they have my dog's joint chew. We are behind the times here and when I go to Florida, they have it all~!

Old 05-01-2016, 09:21 AM

384 posts, read 731,236 times
My 2 day shipping ending up to 1 week shipping many times.

Old 05-02-2016, 08:26 AM

3,566 posts, read 2,105,302 times
I do quite like Amazon.uk; serves all my needs, and their customer service is really excellent when it comes to returning items.

Of course all this online convenience is at the detriment of High Street stores, who are struggling to compete, as well as having to pay high rents, rates and business insurance.

But quite honestly, the idea of doing all my Christmas shopping (for example), online through Amazon, or battling my way into a shopping centre and having to carry around bags and bags of presents, it's a complete no-brainer!

Shame that Amazon.UK isn't very transparent when it comes to paying its taxes here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products