Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2019, 03:36 PM

15,416 posts, read 9,044,855 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Exaclty. I read that and it makes me laugh. Denial is not just a river in Egypt. Barnes and Noble keeps doing that too. But none of these businesses will do anything to change their business formula, despite their customers continuously telling them what they want. For example, Sears customers have repeatedly told the company they dislike being hassled for all their personal info and credit card at the checkout, but they keep doing it. And they have difficulty finding cashiers in their mammoth stores. When they finally locate the cashier, the lines are too long, because no one else can find cashiers either. So they stop shopping there.
Yeah, the current ownership, Transform Holdco LLC is a liquidation company. They are not there to reorganize this mess. It really is comical listening to them try to convince people otherwise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2019, 06:21 PM

19,496 posts, read 9,523,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
How long do you suppose it will be before Sears and Kmart are gone? I see that there are going to be 182 remaining. Seems like it's time to throw in the towel.
We used to have 3 or 4 Sears stores within a 30 min ride from the house. Now there's only one. I'd be hesitant to buy anything like a major appliance. Who knows if/when that only store will shut down. To their credit, I have heard some appliance repair reps doing a good job. The one time that we had one come to the house, they were most helpful.

We lost the KMart that used to be down the road from our house. DH was always remarking how their store shelves were so antiquated. I will miss/have missed their senior citizens/disabled wishes Christmas Tree. From the time I first found out about it, was fun to pick up a card, purchase one or 2 items on it and include a couple other little things to go in the bag. Guess maybe just as well now. Retirement is nice but doesn't pay as well.

Old 11-11-2019, 07:16 PM

15,416 posts, read 9,044,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1116 View Post
We used to have 3 or 4 Sears stores within a 30 min ride from the house. Now there's only one. I'd be hesitant to buy anything like a major appliance. Who knows if/when that only store will shut down. To their credit, I have heard some appliance repair reps doing a good job. The one time that we had one come to the house, they were most helpful.

We lost the KMart that used to be down the road from our house. DH was always remarking how their store shelves were so antiquated. I will miss/have missed their senior citizens/disabled wishes Christmas Tree. From the time I first found out about it, was fun to pick up a card, purchase one or 2 items on it and include a couple other little things to go in the bag. Guess maybe just as well now. Retirement is nice but doesn't pay as well.
LOL. I really wish there was a Kmart near me, so I could visit it one last time. It looks like the closest one is about 300 miles away. Haven't been in one in over 20 years, but walking into a Kmart was always so trippy, like going back in time to 1969. They never updated those stores ever. They always looked exactly like I remember it from the first time I ever walked into a Kmart when I was eight years old. The exact same pegboard shelving, the same old gray dingy floor tiles, the same old 1960s drop down ceiling panels and rows of fluorescent lights. Kmart stores are true 1960s time capsules. I can't think of any other stores that evert went that long with absolutely no remodeling ever.

Old 11-11-2019, 07:23 PM

2,068 posts, read 997,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Yep. Sears sealed their own fate, the day they decided to shut down their catalogue business, and focus on their brick and mortar. That was their fatal mistake.

In my mind, Sears' fatal mistake was closing down their candy center and their popcorn machine.

The smell of buttered popcorn permeated the entire store and was like the present-day Walmart greeter - the smell said, "Welcome to Sears!"

Old 11-11-2019, 09:19 PM

3,727 posts, read 2,549,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddySpice View Post
..if Sears had the vision to get into on-line business at the right time, they could have been where Amazon is today. Their catalog had a little bit of everything, but they got out of the catalog business just as on-line retailing was getting started.. Sears missed the boat.
yeah, truth is Sears was Amazon 1.0..
Their catalog/mail order business had no peer for many years. And like u state, it could've been sustained. Sears had a geographically comprehensive network of shipping facilities, catalog pick-up locations, and a fast, efficient order-pulling/picking system. It's 20/20 hindsight tho..
Sad, the demise of Sears kinda felt like the end of a cultural era in a way..

Old 11-12-2019, 03:29 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,244,921 times
What happened to Sears? Easy answer!

Bad management happened to Sears. They made all of the wrong decisions for decades, starting with not putting their Sears catalogue on-line. They were all set up to be Amazon, before Amazon. And they failed.

Meanwhile companies who knew what they were doing - Wal Mart, Target, Kohl's, etc - left Sears in the dust.

As Gordon Gekko said many years ago in this speech ….. you either do it right, or you get eliminated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVxYOQS6ggk

Old 11-12-2019, 06:24 AM

6,693 posts, read 5,923,002 times
They had bad management and fell behind, an investor bought them with the goal of carving them up into sellable pieces of real estate, he has done so, end of story.

Why is this still being discussed? People under 20 don't even know what Sears is. Used to be a pretty decent dept. store with well rated appliances and tools (Kenmore, Craftsman). Now there are better alternatives and Sears is dying a deserved death. Shame about the thousands of employees who lost their jobs, seniority, & benefits, though.

Old 11-12-2019, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Exaclty. I read that and it makes me laugh. Denial is not just a river in Egypt. Barnes and Noble keeps doing that too. But none of these businesses will do anything to change their business formula, despite their customers continuously telling them what they want. For example, Sears customers have repeatedly told the company they dislike being hassled for all their personal info and credit card at the checkout, but they keep doing it. And they have difficulty finding cashiers in their mammoth stores. When they finally locate the cashier, the lines are too long, because no one else can find cashiers either. So they stop shopping there.
So true. As turf mentioned in a previous post, it’s mainly those workers on the floor that hear and see the customer’s looks of displeasure regarding the store policies & displays and try to pass on to their managers at staff meetings but met with a wave off. Not many customers take complaints further up but are quick to relay their displeasure to those working on the floor. It’s also easier seeing it in person than getting it in a letter or email. Best managers or executives were those that started from the bottom, however, even some of them have a tendency to forget what it was like years ago when they were cashiers and/or other store personnel.

Old 11-12-2019, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacInTx View Post
In my mind, Sears' fatal mistake was closing down their candy center and their popcorn machine.

The smell of buttered popcorn permeated the entire store and was like the present-day Walmart greeter - the smell said, "Welcome to Sears!"
Funny you should mention that . Boscov’s, near Hershey, Pa has that on 2nd floor. It’s been several years since we’ve been up there though so I don’t know if that is still there. Last time I was there I don’t recall smelling popcorn though. Maybe it was an off day? I don’t think one would be able to smell it all through out the 1st floor. Maybe some might. We had a popcorn machine at work and maybe it was the ventilation system, but you could smell it on the immediate floors above and below it. Freshly made, of course.

Old 11-12-2019, 10:08 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,671,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortel View Post
I was at sears just yesterday. It was totally deserted. I don't see how they stay open. The only reason i shop at sears is for craftsman tools.
Sears sold the Craftsman brand to Stanley Black and Decker. They no longer honor the lifetime warranty. Craftsman tools are now made in China just like all other tools on the market.

https://money.cnn.com/2017/01/05/inv...ker/index.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products