Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2016, 01:35 AM

1,516 posts, read 1,247,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I wonder if these high prices are due to Hallmark having a near monopoly on the greeting card biz or if it's just because of Mother's Day, in which more cards and flowers are purchased than at any other "holiday."
The greeting card industry is basically 2 companies: Hallmark and American Greetings (who own a bunch of smaller, specialized gift shops). But even smaller companies like Rifle Paper and Etsy sellers sell their cards at $5 a pop (not even with special add ons). Unless the cards have special dimensional add ons or charms, they generally cost very little to make. Foil, glitter, embossing is all pretty cheap to produce. Probably just trying to increase their profit margin... if people are willing to buy it then nothing will change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2016, 02:35 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohky0815 View Post
OP said those are inferior. Except they have the same brands there???
They look the same to me and they only cost a buck, however if one determines the quality of the sentiment behind the card by how much one pays for the card then buy the $10 cards.

Old 05-09-2016, 04:50 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,046,768 times
One would like to think the recipient of a greeting card is more thankful they were thought of than how much money was spent on the card.

At least that's the way I view the situation.

Old 05-09-2016, 06:42 AM

887 posts, read 1,214,424 times
I almost feel like I'd rather write something on a slip of paper and give them the money the card would have cost. I have no idea how card stores like Hallmark even stay in business anymore.

Old 05-09-2016, 07:38 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,297,247 times
I think the expensive cards are due to supply and demand. Many people don't buy cards anymore, they post a "Happy Birthday" on your FB page so now they are more expensive so the Greeting Card companies don't lose profits. Anyway that's my take on it. How many of you send Christmas cards anymore? Nobody in my family does and haven't for the last few years.

Old 05-09-2016, 09:06 AM

18,530 posts, read 1,427,530 times
$6.50 card that says absolutely nothing and has nothing fancy about it. I could make my own and not even spend a penny!

Old 05-09-2016, 10:10 AM

2,206 posts, read 3,294,621 times
I agree that the dollar store cards are mostly just cheap looking.

Try Trader Joe's --
They are printed on quality paper, have lovely drawings/pics, and fairly simple sayings. Just $1!!!!!

Old 05-09-2016, 10:51 AM

83 posts, read 77,815 times
I haven't bought a commercial 'greeting' card in over 30 years.
They are a soulless, contrived, waste of time and money.

I didn't think they sold them in any quantity anymore.
Meh, whatever.

Old 05-09-2016, 11:08 AM

23,587 posts, read 70,358,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDaisy View Post
This is why I don't put stock into many holidays, including birthdays. Like my ex that I was closest to, really felt like the whole month of September belonged to him because his mom had him on that day. While he had many great traits, it was a very big turn off how he acted on birthdays and other such occasions. I didn't like being treated like a prized big on Valentine's day. If you want to give me flowers or show me love, do it of free will not because the stores and Hallmark say so.
Precisely!!! We got away from the holiday "celebrations" and into the spontaneous and unexpected natural shows of love, which took away expectation and the inevitable comparison to other year's expressions. Much more fun, much less pressure, much more organic and less commercial.

Old 05-09-2016, 11:15 AM

8,876 posts, read 13,907,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Precisely!!! We got away from the holiday "celebrations" and into the spontaneous and unexpected natural shows of love, which took away expectation and the inevitable comparison to other year's expressions. Much more fun, much less pressure, much more organic and less commercial.
We too gave up on exchanging greetings cards, Christmas gifts, and other token presents associated with these contrived 'holidays'.

Now we use that money to go out to dinner, buy her a fresh bouquet of flowers for the house, or buy something that we both want to get.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products