Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2016, 05:59 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,622,028 times

Advertisements

Costco tried these self check outs but most people are clueless. It's a shame ,but you always have one person who screws it up for everyone.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2016, 06:56 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,583,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_k_k View Post
I flatly refuse to use them. They are excuses not to hire people. If you gave me 20% off my groceries, but I had to use self checkout, my answer would be nah.
With out them they will raise your groceries 20% to compensate having to hire people at 15hr.

Old 05-10-2016, 07:05 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,951,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
Costco tried these self check outs but most people are clueless. It's a shame ,but you always have one person who screws it up for everyone.....
What's there to screw up exactly? Oh yeah, us the customers, doing the store employees' jobs for them and getting no reward for it whatsoever. I'll take that blame gladly.

Old 05-10-2016, 08:15 AM

11,175 posts, read 16,008,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Funny this came up.

I ran to Winn Dixie Saturday Night to get wine and used the self checkout.

I ran back over Sunday morning to get coffee and the self checkouts were gone! Replaced with a regular checkout.
Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
This happened at my Winn Dixie as well and I am also in the Fort Lauderdale area. Nobody could give me an explanation. A few customers did say the Winn Dixie self-check out lanes were a pain when it came to bagging the items. The machine would send an alert about the weight being incorrect.
When this happened at my local Winn Dixie in Miami just a short time after they were first put in, I asked a manager and was told that it was because of too much theft since their installation.

Old 05-10-2016, 08:50 AM

9,873 posts, read 7,197,601 times
Wait until RFID checkout comes into play. Put everything in bags in your cart and then walk past the RFID scanner. The scanner will ring up the items, give you your discount based on the RFID chip in your shopper card, and charge the credit card you have registered to the shopper card.

Of course, when you walked in the door your shopper card was scanned so the subliminal messages will start coming over the loudspeaker. Forgot your shopper card? No problem, the RFID tag is in the T-shirt you bought so the store still recognizes you.

Old 05-10-2016, 09:01 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,901,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielAvery View Post
Speaking from experience, I assure you that business would not have employed those six extra cashiers, regardless of whether those self-check machines were installed or not. There is a set amount of money in labor budgets, and by extension a set amount of hours scheduled for cashiers. The self-check registers offer the opportunity to pay up and get out quicker than we would otherwise. The same lone cashier would be there (with longer lines) doing alone what technology allows six registers to do at once...and shorten his/her line (and the wait-time of the customers). Rather than bust their labor budget by bringing in extra cashiers/help, the Front End manager will just resign himself/herself to customers having to wait longer to pay. When given the choice between keeping the labor budget in check or getting customers through checkouts quickly, you can rest assured labor dollars will win every time.

Someone mentioned the annoying "weight error' message thing. I've found that if you put the item in the bag, then wait for a second or two, part of the display screen will blink once or twice to give you "permission" to remove the bag or shift things around. If you don't wait for that prompt, it will give that error message and refuse to negotiate with you.

I was going to say the same thing. For some reason people think there should be ONE cashier for every ONE customer and that's never gonna happen. At my store, when the lines get longer than we like, they do a "code C" which means they call other cashier trained associates to the front to open registers and get the lines down. It works well. Since our schedules come from our corporate office they aren't always what the store would like. Or the associates either!

People would have an easier time at the self checkouts if they would just pay attention to the screen and follow directions. I see people just start pushing buttons because they are in a hurry and that usually leads to problems.

Old 05-10-2016, 09:09 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,951,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
I was going to say the same thing. For some reason people think there should be ONE cashier for every ONE customer and that's never gonna happen. At my store, when the lines get longer than we like, they do a "code C" which means they call other cashier trained associates to the front to open registers and get the lines down. It works well. Since our schedules come from our corporate office they aren't always what the store would like. Or the associates either!

People would have an easier time at the self checkouts if they would just pay attention to the screen and follow directions. I see people just start pushing buttons because they are in a hurry and that usually leads to problems.
Once again your making the erroneous assumption that it's the customers' job to do the work of the cashier. Our local HEB has four local self checkout lanes and I grudgingly used them when the other lines are too long. That is, until they put only tiny plastic bags on the turnstiles. Those bags are the miniscule bags the pharmacy uses to put your prescriptions in; the ones that are designed to hold at most two or three very small items. Attempting to put groceries in those small bags was the source of endless frustration; the bags only held maybe 2 grocery items each, requiring the customer to use 5 or more bags for even a small order. We also had to double bag to prevent the tiny bags from busting. So back to the full service checkout I went, even after I got "used" to the self checkout.

Old 05-10-2016, 09:18 AM

5,624 posts, read 6,840,052 times
Last night the store only had self check out. We didnt get a ton so it wasnt a huge deal but sure enough one woman with a cart full loudly said " I have to bag this all myself?".

Old 05-10-2016, 09:23 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
You aren't doing the cashiers job. The self checkouts are an attempt to help keep costs down. You have the option to use them, or not. Plenty of places to go for 'full service', if you're prepared to pay for that.
I like them because I can get in and out quickly with small purchases, I don't find much effort involved in scanning and bagging a dozen or so items.

Old 05-10-2016, 09:43 AM

11,175 posts, read 16,008,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
What's there to screw up exactly? Oh yeah, us the customers, doing the store employees' jobs for them and getting no reward for it whatsoever. I'll take that blame gladly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Once again your making the erroneous assumption that it's the customers' job to do the work of the cashier....
Do you also feel that you're doing the gas station employees' job for them by pumping your own gas?

How about when you use an ATM? Are you doing the bank employees' job for them in that instance?

Welcome to the 21st century!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products