Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2016, 10:33 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,869,458 times

Advertisements

I don’t understand why the stores are going to more and more self-service checkout stands. If I’m going to do the work of your employees shouldn’t I receive some benefits or discounts?

I avoid them because there slower when "other" customers don't know how to operate the machines or have some issues and then there's a delay getting a store employee over there to fix things........... it's a waist of time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2016, 10:47 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,863,170 times
I prefer self-checkout when there are twenty checkout counters, but only two are open. I wish every checkout counter would revert to a self-checkout when not tended by an employee (Hey!!! There's a thought).

Old 05-08-2016, 11:10 PM

3,947 posts, read 2,571,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
I don’t understand why the stores are going to more and more self-service checkout stands. If I’m going to do the work of your employees shouldn’t I receive some benefits or discounts?

I avoid them because there slower when "other" customers don't know how to operate the machines or have some issues and then there's a delay getting a store employee over there to fix things........... it's a waist of time.
I understand your frustration! Everytime I move my bags, lifting them up to rearrange items to fit better, the machine reads an error... please wait for a cashier!

Sometimes though it is just faster not to wait behind 2, 3 or more customers at the main check out. Esp. If I have few items. My store has six self-check outs and the wait is usually short.

One day a manager pulled how many self-checker customers- 300!

That was 300 not in line in the regular check outs.

It is a shame we only have two check out cashiers too. But look at that 300 number again!

And actually, my cash register at the liquor dept is a third register open- 15 items or less. So, that is a little better.

Last edited by Wild Flower; 05-08-2016 at 11:25 PM..

Old 05-08-2016, 11:22 PM

3,947 posts, read 2,571,125 times
Another thing- my big warehouse grocery store has 10-20? registers at peak times.

Plus there are three areas for self check outs. One that is open until 10 pm-ish with 6 self check outs. Another one down at the middle entrance with 6 self and one or two cashiers.

Then, there is self check outs at the front. One of those you put your groceries thru a circular machine that rings them up! Plus there are 2 or more other self check outs there too.

Along with all those regular check outs in the middle.

It is a busy place and I would rather go in late at night!

Old 05-08-2016, 11:54 PM

21,020 posts, read 27,221,764 times
I like to use self checkout when I have a few items and do not desire to wait behind carts loaded with items in regular checkouts. Self checkout has basically replaced most express lanes.

Old 05-09-2016, 01:37 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,901,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Flower View Post
I understand your frustration! Everytime I move my bags, lifting them up to rearrange items to fit better, the machine reads an error... please wait for a cashier!

Sometimes though it is just faster not to wait behind 2, 3 or more customers at the main check out. Esp. If I have few items. My store has six self-check outs and the wait is usually short.

One day a manager pulled how many self-checker customers- 300!

That was 300 not in line in the regular check outs.

It is a shame we only have two check out cashiers too. But look at that 300 number again!

And actually, my cash register at the liquor dept is a third register open- 15 items or less. So, that is a little better.

I work the self checkouts rather frequently and they can keep me just as busy as being on a long belt. We have two with 4 scanners at each one and they average nearly 500 customers a day, each. That's a lot of people! Last time I checked at the end of the day, after being on a long belt all day, I had 148 customers myself. On days during the first week of the month it's even higher!

The way to beat that scanner telling you that you've 'errored' is to just remove the bags as you fill them. Most people think they have to leave it all till they are done but they don't and you just have jiggle a bag a little bit to get that message. It's because the scales are so sensitive to weights. And then there are the items that don't weigh enough to register and the attendant has to go 'fix it'.

Old 05-09-2016, 01:40 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,901,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
I like to use self checkout when I have a few items and do not desire to wait behind carts loaded with items in regular checkouts. Self checkout has basically replaced most express lanes.

We get a LOT of huge filled baskets at our self checkouts. They were never intended for that and were actually supposed to be an extension of the 20 items or less lanes.

Then there was the guy who came through my express lane with 72 items! Jerk. I told him that must be a record. Oh, oops, didn't see the sign! Yeah, right. lol

Old 05-09-2016, 01:41 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
We use the self check out when we have about 5 items or less.

Old 05-09-2016, 01:43 PM

22,565 posts, read 47,614,734 times
I tend to avoid self-checkouts, as I would rather someone be employed.

My only exception is at Sam's Club. I use the self-checkout there, because then I do not have to wait in line to exit. I get to breeze by everyone!

Old 05-09-2016, 02:10 PM

24,447 posts, read 25,978,821 times
Self checks are hard to find here. The local Walmart has none, Sams has a few and Home Depot has 2.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products