Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What would you do? Return the items or keep them?
I would return the items. 21 84.00%
I would keep the items as if I paid for them. 4 16.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2016, 01:26 PM

2,852 posts, read 1,615,402 times

Advertisements

We live in rural Alabama. On Saturday, my wife visited the local Dollar General to pick up some supplies. When she got home, she unpacked her bags and found that all of the items she went to get were there, along with 2 items that she didn't intend to purchase: a can of lighter fluid and a roll of tape.

Neither of them were needed, as we don't have a lighter - or a need for one - and we've got plenty of tape. Later that day we went out and we stopped at the same Dollar General she got these items from, to return them. She explained to the cashier that she was in earlier, bought some items, but these two items were not hers and in checking the receipt, she wasn't charged for them. The cashier and another person in line were amazed that she brought them back. My way of thinking is, if they weren't something I paid for then they should go back to the store, without question. Other folks in the store now in line to check out were all saying things like, 'If they're in my bag, their mine!' almost to the point of acting like they were trying to embarrass my wife for her honesty.

I fully agree with what my wife did. There's no way I would have kept those items. They weren't mine. I didn't pay for them... how hard is that to figure out?

So, for kicks, I've asked this question and put it in the form of a poll to see just how honest folks that read this are..

I welcome you to leave your comments.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2016, 01:28 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,266,619 times
We have done that numerous times over the years or gone back to the store to pay for an item that did not get scanned.
If we do not earn it or pay for it we do not want it.

Old 05-18-2016, 01:30 PM

22,599 posts, read 47,698,122 times
Well, yeah. I did not pay for them...they are not mine to keep.

Old 05-18-2016, 04:05 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,033,682 times
Yup, I'd return them too...it's just the right thing to do.

Old 05-18-2016, 04:24 PM

1,394 posts, read 1,260,247 times
She may have stopped a pyromaniac, who knows. Tape and lighter fluid sound like someones up to no good.

Old 05-18-2016, 04:56 PM

8,074 posts, read 4,749,870 times
A lot of the reason why I would return them has to do with the setting. It's (I assume) a local Dollar General that you and your family shop at frequently. If I kept the stuff, I'd feel guilty--every time I went in there, my mind would go back to those extra items. Also, I'd wonder if the cashier remembers the situation (someone may have come in to complain about their missing items), and the cashier might realize you accidentally ended up with them and said nothing. When you live in a small town, such familiarity with the locals acts as a sort of "peer pressure" to behave, because in most cases everybody knows everybody.

My mom once had something heavy fall off a shelf and break her toe in the local supermarket (the only grocery store we had for about twenty miles). The store manager was freaking out, believing she was going to sue him and/or the store. Instead, she scolded him, pointing out that she'd known him since he was a child and that she'd never be able to show her face in that store again if she sued him. THEN where would she be able to buy her groceries? He paid the doctor bill for her toe and that was all she wanted. She's been one of his favorite customers ever since, obviously. I'm sure the manager at the dollar store will be similarly pleased to see you every time you come in.

Old 05-18-2016, 05:21 PM

2,144 posts, read 1,880,458 times
If it was a store I went to regularly and was conveniently located for a return trip, absolutely take them back.

If it was some store I'd never been in before 2 hours away at my sister's house... I'd probably just keep them tbh.

Old 05-18-2016, 05:27 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,583,267 times
You did the right thing. They person who actually paid for them will probably come back and ask for them.

Old 05-21-2016, 09:47 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,255,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murk View Post
If it was a store I went to regularly and was conveniently located for a return trip, absolutely take them back.

If it was some store I'd never been in before 2 hours away at my sister's house... I'd probably just keep them tbh.

^^^^^^^^ This.

Regarding these two specific items, I'd give the lighter fluid to someone who has a lighter, but keep the tape.

Old 05-21-2016, 09:57 AM

23,603 posts, read 70,446,439 times
There is a hoary old joke about prostitution where the punch line is "Now we have determined what you are, all we are doing is haggling on the price." There is no way I would compromise my moral structure for a roll of tape and a can of lighter fluid. I once contacted a company where I had purchased an item that cost around $1,000. The reason? They had forgotten to bill me.

It isn't about the value or lack of value of the items, but about which way you want to point your moral compass. If you make your living in an industry that you know rips people off or engages in deceptive practices as a routine, you might not worry about keeping a few items that aren't yours. Being in business for myself, one of my most valuable assets is dealing with my customers completely honestly and fairly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products