Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which chain is your preference?
Wegmans 20 80.00%
Publix 5 20.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2016, 11:18 PM

102 posts, read 117,587 times

Advertisements

These chains have an almost cult-like following

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wegmans

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Publix

Which do you prefer, and why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2016, 01:14 AM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times
Wegmans isn't around here, so I didn't take the poll.

I have mixed feelings about Publix.

The prices tend to be about 20% or more higher than where I do the bulk of my shopping, and they have this weird design concept where their aisles are about a foot too narrow for people to step away from their cart and somebody else to be able to pass easily, AND in south Florida the customers at Publix are far more rude than other grocery stores.

OTOH, Publix has stock (as in stock market stock, not items) that only the employees can buy, so it is largely employee owned. In my mind, that is the only business model (with a poison pill) that stands a chance of withstanding the onslaught of robber capitalism and keeping reasonably well paid jobs in the U.S.. I would shop there for that reason alone. The stores are invariably clean and properly stocked, and customer service is better than most places. I also appreciate that they are able to train and use Down's syndrome employees as baggers. Having worked in a hospital setting caring for patients with Down's, I happen to really appreciate them.

Old 06-23-2016, 04:29 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,004,925 times
I've never been to Wegman's, but my dd did say it was much like shopping at Publix.

I only shop at Publix. I don't care if I pay more...the fresh fruit, meat and bakery is better than Target, Wal Mart and any other grocery store in this area. Not to mention the customer service is far superior; I will gladly pay more for a peaceful shopping trip than to save a few bucks and shop in "Hell"...(wal mart)

Old 06-27-2016, 09:03 AM

21,020 posts, read 27,221,764 times
I cannot comment on Wegman's as I have not been to any of its stores.

Publix is the premier and largest supermarket chain in the southeastern United States. Its stores have the necessities of food and pharmacy, have quality fresh foods and store brand products, has a strong culture of service, and have excellent lower prices. Bi-Lo, Food Lion, and Winn-Dixie have closed stores and exited markets because they could not keep up with Publix. Harris Teeter, Ingle's, and Kroger have had to improve their stores.

Old 06-27-2016, 09:34 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,937,475 times
Is this a joke thread? Publix is good, but Wegmans is in a different league. I would put Wegmans in a similar league to Whole Foods. They have a much better selection of quality prepared foods, which is important to me. Publix does have a very good grinder station, however. But I like both stores anyway.

Old 07-28-2016, 07:53 AM

1,001 posts, read 1,095,215 times
publix bogo are awesome, and I can usually just buy one
They also double coupons.
and it's walking distance from my place
and they have a great bakery

Old 07-28-2016, 09:35 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,580,581 times
Never seen either one of them. Must be an east coast thing.

Old 07-28-2016, 09:36 AM

22,565 posts, read 47,614,734 times
I am in western PA and we have neither.

Old 07-28-2016, 03:51 PM

9,874 posts, read 7,197,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
I am in western PA and we have neither.
Well Western PA isn't exactly the east coast.

Wegman's:

Upstate NY, NJ, MD, VA, MA, and PA - mostly eastern PA but there are two in Erie and one in State College.

Publix:

Florida, Georgia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Alabama, Tennessee.

Old 07-28-2016, 06:38 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Since these are regional chains, the majority of people will only have experience with one at best.

I am in Florida, so shop at Publix. No other chain as been able to match or keep up with it, and as has been pointed out earlier, others have come and gone. They have a great business model, and people love their stores. I shop at many places, but Publix is always a staple in my shopping trips. Clean stores, friendly employees, great selection, great customer service and I get my diabetes medicine cheap to free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products