Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 09:07 AM

1,155 posts, read 3,333,337 times

Advertisements

Regarding Christian conservatives planned weekend Walmart protest. Did anyone attend? Do you agree or disagree? Do you feel like I do when I think there are far more important issues to protest concerning Walmart than say treating your employees and customers whether gay or straight equally? What say you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2006, 02:43 PM

892 posts, read 2,371,859 times
Didn't know about this.
Don't care.
My opinion about walmart is - If you don't like how they run things, don't work there or don't shop there and they will go out of business. Problem is, is that most people don't care about all the "problems" and will shop or work there anyways.
I just don't like the atmosphere of the place and stay away. I also like quality not cheap crap.

Old 11-27-2006, 05:36 PM

129 posts, read 488,998 times
The problem is that Walmart goes into very small rural towns and runs the local businesses out because they can't compete. It's much easier when you're trying to shop with three small kids to go to one place and get it over with rather than lug the kids in and out five times at five different stores. Literally, walmart is the only store where I live and it really stinks! They don't have to worry about competition and whatever happened to friendly service and the customer is always right? A friend of mine works there and works about 60 hours a week because management says they are too broke to hire more associates. What a crock! I have tried to do more mshopping online, but it never fails, there's always something I can't wait for. That's one reason I want to move to a bigger town...one without walmart!

Old 11-27-2006, 07:52 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,698,300 times
A couple of nuts boycotting Walmart won't even put a dent in their business. They're a multi-billion dollar chain store that has thousands upon thousands of stores, do you think they're going to care what a few people think?

I personally don't care if Walmart stays or goes. I shop there when I buy groceries (except meat), movies, everyday items, etc etc; nothing high-end or something that is costly.

Old 11-27-2006, 08:30 PM

454 posts, read 906,016 times
agree or not agree... either way, boycotts don't work. Most of the time they backfire, so I ignore the call for a group boycott, even when I agree with the point, instead I decide for myself where I want to shop.

Old 11-27-2006, 10:36 PM

753 posts, read 758,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
A couple of nuts boycotting Walmart won't even put a dent in their business. They're a multi-billion dollar chain store that has thousands upon thousands of stores, do you think they're going to care what a few people think?

I personally don't care if Walmart stays or goes. I shop there when I buy groceries (except meat), movies, everyday items, etc etc; nothing high-end or something that is costly.
And the Chinese Politburo thanks you.

I happen to believe in the power of the individual American, when they finally get a clue. Things that can't go on forever, don't. Eventually Americans will get the point that buying from China doesn't help them. When that happens, Wal-Mart will tow the line or fall apart.

Wal-Mart isn't invincible.

Old 11-28-2006, 01:59 AM

2,909 posts, read 14,085,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post

Quote:
The problem is that Walmart goes into very small rural towns and runs the local businesses out because they can't compete.

Walmart doesnt even care if 1 out of 500 people boycott them. Competition is legal and because USA is a free market, a capitalist nation, Walmart did nothing wrong. If you are against competition, go ahead and pay $20 for a hotdog or icecream. Walmart has the best prices and we customers win. Actually I am supprised Walmart bothers building a store in a small town, it arent cheap to build, maybe cheaper than I think if they hire illegals and pay them min wage. The illegals cant complain because no one else wants to hire them plus they make a third that in their home country and min wage in USA is "good" money to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the dufferz View Post
agree or not agree... either way, boycotts don't work. Most of the time they backfire, so I ignore the call for a group boycott, even when I agree with the point, instead I decide for myself where I want to shop.

Just dont work for Walmart, they will get desperate and pay their employees more and treat them better. The locals in a town where theres a walmart can refuse to work there then that Walmart will either go out of business or pay more.

I for one love Walmart. We do most of our shopping there. When I move, there must be a Walmart nearby because they have everything and the lowest prices.

Old 11-28-2006, 06:29 AM

5,297 posts, read 6,291,433 times
Quote:
I for one love Walmart. We do most of our shopping there. When I move, there must be a Walmart nearby because they have everything and the lowest prices.
I shop there once a week for groceries,and yesterday got a great deal on a 32 inch LCD/HDTV flat panel tv for $598 it works and looks great..love it.

Old 11-28-2006, 11:02 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,873,839 times
There are so many misconceptions about walmart having the lowest prices. They don't always. There have been numerous reports done were if there is not any direct competition their prices are just as high if not higher than everyone elses. There are many things about them that I don't care for so I don't go there. I don't care if they have one item that is $1 cheaper than Target, I'm not going to waste my time driving there, parking, fighting the filth, waiting in line forever because they don't open up checkers to get people thru and they are slllllllllloooooooooooooooow. My time is worth WAY MORE than any few dollars I could even think of saving shopping there. I also don't shop there because I don't like the filthy feel of the place including the parking lots. They never even clean them. YUCK!!! When your feet/shoes stick to the pavement how the heck do they expect people to get in. But hey, if you like it and can deal with it, have at it.

Why does walmart go into small towns? Because they know they can run out all of the shops & stores there and then be the only game in town and charge whatever they want. People think walmart has it all and the better prices but if you don't have any competition and never even bother looking at other places you will never know. Some towns & cities have thrown a fit and kept them out. It's not that expensive for them to build. They have national contracts with different contractors with set prices. These companies send crews from site to site for these builds. So they are builiding a new store close by you and everyone is excited thinking of all those jobs it is going to bring when the best jobs for the construction of it are not given to local people. Because Company A provides a particular aspect to their construction and has a contract for say 20 jobs for these new stores they can charge less. Which in turn means their employees are going to get paid less too. It is a vicious circle.

BUT HEY, I saw where walmart did not do so good on Black Friday. Hmmmm, maybe more people are realizing that they aren't so great afterall.

Old 11-28-2006, 02:17 PM

892 posts, read 2,371,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
There are so many misconceptions about walmart having the lowest prices. They don't always. There have been numerous reports done were if there is not any direct competition their prices are just as high if not higher than everyone elses. There are many things about them that I don't care for so I don't go there. I don't care if they have one item that is $1 cheaper than Target, I'm not going to waste my time driving there, parking, fighting the filth, waiting in line forever because they don't open up checkers to get people thru and they are slllllllllloooooooooooooooow. My time is worth WAY MORE than any few dollars I could even think of saving shopping there. I also don't shop there because I don't like the filthy feel of the place including the parking lots. They never even clean them. YUCK!!! When your feet/shoes stick to the pavement how the heck do they expect people to get in. But hey, if you like it and can deal with it, have at it.

My reasons too!!Sounds like all the ones here in CA.
They may have the lowest price but usually by 11cents. $11.88 verses $11.99 elsewhere. Not worth my sanity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products