Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Self Check outs...love em or hate em
Always use 17 21.25%
Occasionally use 46 57.50%
Will not use under any circumstances 17 21.25%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 03:00 PM

8,893 posts, read 4,541,246 times

Advertisements

Definitely will use self check, it's usually quicker and more courteous, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2008, 03:33 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,120,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
I've noticed in my area at Walmart, grocery stores etc more & more self check outs and less human checkers.

I refuse to use them as it is putting someone out of work and the cost savings is NOT being passed on to the consumers

So..self check outs...love them or hate them
I have mixed feelings about them. Certainly see your point and agree with it. Selfishly speaking, though, I'd rather get out of there quickly if I have up to about 10 items. Kmart here was one of the pioneers in installing them , but ended up closing them... supposedly because of theft problems. I've seen some self-help machines I'll never touch (not for groceries). I'm not gonna read lengthy instructions and inconvenience myself because somebody wants to save on labor.

Old 02-20-2008, 05:26 PM

5,660 posts, read 26,988,566 times
Not going to use them until they provide a slight discount, especially if I'm going to do the work of their paid check out staff.

Old 02-20-2008, 06:38 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,559,238 times
I work at a Lowe's Home Improvement store about two hours northwest of New York City, and we actually have one cashier dedicated exclusively to oversee our four self-check-out registers because it seems like 1/2 of our customers have some sort of problem using them. It seems like a hindrance to me more than anything, and it's nearly impossible to ensure that customers are being honest. What's to stop someone who has two PVC fittings for their pipe to scan one and then put both in the shopping bag?

Old 02-20-2008, 06:48 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,018,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWB View Post
I work at a Lowe's Home Improvement store about two hours northwest of New York City, and we actually have one cashier dedicated exclusively to oversee our four self-check-out registers because it seems like 1/2 of our customers have some sort of problem using them. It seems like a hindrance to me more than anything, and it's nearly impossible to ensure that customers are being honest. What's to stop someone who has two PVC fittings for their pipe to scan one and then put both in the shopping bag?
Yeah, it's sort of like the honor system when you buy a candy bar and put your dollar in the box.

Old 02-20-2008, 06:53 PM

2,482 posts, read 8,729,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b View Post
Not going to use them until they provide a slight discount, especially if I'm going to do the work of their paid check out staff.
What he/she said. I'm already paying a premium for the "service" in my groceries. I'm not going to pay them so I can service myself.

Old 02-20-2008, 07:04 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,559,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
Yeah, it's sort of like the honor system when you buy a candy bar and put your dollar in the box.
We still have rural farmers' stands like this in rural parts of PA. 99% of folks appreciate the hard work that these farmers endure to bring them this fresh produce and leave them money for the food they take, but I vividly remember a few years ago when two women in an SUV were caught on a hidden camera in my area swiping the collection jar from the stand. Some people have no conscience! I myself am happy when I hear that milk prices increase because I know that dairy farmers around here can barely make ends meat the way it is, hence why so many farms in PA are now becoming McMansion developments for NJ transplants.

Old 02-20-2008, 08:05 PM

1,928 posts, read 5,163,788 times
This self checkout is all about decreasing costs and increasing profits. I don't for a minute believe that reduced costs to the store will be passed along to the shopper. I refuse to use them, even if it takes me more time. If it keeps one more person employed, it's worth my little sacrifice of time.

Old 02-20-2008, 08:16 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,538,853 times
They're great if you're just picking up a few things. Somebody's almost always there tending to problems people have, so it's not really putting anyone out of work. There are still the same amount of cashiers in the regular lines (unless it's the dead of night at a 24-hour store).

If it was that much of a threat to anyone's jobs you wouldn't see them in union stores. I don't use them all the time, but sometimes. Often depends on how many people are in line at the self-checkout vs. the regular lines.

Old 02-20-2008, 08:31 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,746,901 times
There is a new technology that will soon render ALL checkouts obsolete. It is called RFID and there will be little tags that transmit data. All you do is push the bascart into the scanning device and it rings up everything in the basket without you having to remove anything from it. Then you just scan your coupons and credit card and you are on your way in less than a minute! No more lines at the store!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products