Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2016, 10:09 AM

597 posts, read 667,090 times

Advertisements

I have been a devoted user of Sony's MP3 players - have owned 3 in a row over maybe a 10 year period. Great little products - nice graphics, easy to operate, synch easily, and are pretty tough - I'm rough on them - use them a lot, drop them, run with them in my hand, thus they get a little sweaty. Have always been extremely pleased.

So, my most recent player is starting to get wonky after 4 years. Went to Best Buy to replace it, but they had none in stock. Easy enough, order off Amazon. Thought I could just get the current iteration - looked about the same as my old one - same size and shape, same click wheel, same price (about $74.00 for an 8g). Received it yesterday and it's just crap. Light, flimsy, horrible graphics, bad click wheel, won't synch playlists (I tried a number of fixes, but nothing worked). Yes, it works. It transferred music and sounds okay, but not being able to transfer playlists it's lost 90% of its usefulness to me. And, I can tell it's not going to last like my previous ones.

I noticed (1) there's a market for used units of my old MP3 player, and (2) Sony now has high-end MP3 players around $300 which look like the features and quality I seek and used to be able to get for between $60 and 80.

Just a pointless rant; I know, First World problem. But, it just makes me mad. I'd gladly pay $120 for a new unit of my old Sony MP3 player (I bought it for $69). I might even try out the new high-end ones if they came down to the $160 range. But, I just think I should be able to do better for a basic MP3 without breaking the bank.

Lol. People may think I'm nuts for still using an MP3 player instead of just my phone.

Last edited by goillini8; 08-24-2016 at 10:48 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2016, 10:16 AM

6,421 posts, read 7,668,808 times
I hear you!

I'm not into the newest tech stuff but even finding basic household items that are well made is difficult. I do miss the Made In America quality and hope enough other people do that more fight, and take pride in America, to bring it back. The tech world is changing so fast that buying it today means it is obsolete tomorrow so people just throw out the plastic and replace it. Sad.

Old 08-24-2016, 10:38 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,832,394 times
"Made in America" means "Parts from China assembled in the United States by Mexican immigrants"

Old 08-24-2016, 10:41 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
I do miss the Made In America quality and hope enough other people do that more fight, and take pride in America, to bring it back. The tech world is changing so fast that buying it today means it is obsolete tomorrow so people just throw out the plastic and replace it. Sad.
The masses won't want to ante up to make that happen.
They WANT cheap and disposable.

Old 08-28-2016, 08:37 AM

447 posts, read 652,011 times
yes pretty much most things are junk. i fight with the wife all the time over buying quality products either made here or in germany or japan-sometimes i win sometimes i don't depends on pricing and the day lol. i also agree though that often the american stuff is made by immigrants from foreign made parts. the foreign parts bug me more because of quality and most of the money staying over there. my wife is an immigrant a legal immigrant and loves this country as i am sure many of the folks working in our factories do i as a white male have worked in these factories before with men and women of various ethnic backgrounds foreign born included.

anyway it makes sense to me to buy something once of good quality and keep it awhile. when she wanted a kitchenaid mixer i tracked down a used one from the 70s for a fraction of the cost of a new one it works just as well or better and is built like a tank and she loves it. sometimes you just have to search for used stuff even antique.

Old 08-28-2016, 01:32 PM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
True enough. My lawnmower is at least 35 years old.

Old 08-28-2016, 03:30 PM

3,680 posts, read 2,966,099 times
Yes it is. With flashable electronics....meaning that it can be hacked.

Old 08-29-2016, 03:01 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,841,434 times
Thumbs down *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick
The masses won't want to ante up to make that happen.
They WANT cheap and disposable.
YES and the rest of us suffer for it!!

Old 09-02-2016, 08:23 PM

3,551 posts, read 2,532,838 times
Does Rockbox work with your Sony? I put it on a Sansa Fuze some years ago, it is awesome. Playlists worked much better, you could download skins for different screen graphics, many EQ options and sound settings. Even had games built in.

Old 09-03-2016, 01:37 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,749,085 times
Forget about completed electronic units, I've gone from pure metal parts to garbage mix alloy metals to brittle plastic parts. You know one is hitting bottom when metal is sprayed onto plastic screws.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products