Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2016, 11:35 AM

10,576 posts, read 11,986,908 times

Advertisements

Let's have some fun with this thread -- and talk about all things TV Home Shopping Channels!!…
...which do you watch, do you buy, what do you think of the hosts, etc.

I watch a lot but don't buy, because the prices aren't good at all.
I just saw sweat pants for 36.00 and a dress for $60. I know those aren't Nordstrom prices. But those aren't' Nordstrom cache either. And most people watching wouldn't be Nordstrom shoppers anyway.

And how about the hosts? You can't really believe a thing they say. To hear them tell it, they own practically everything they sell.

They sell 20 brands of makeup or skin care and will say the same thing about every brand they sell -- each one is THE best for whatever situation. Well, they can't ALL be THE best.
Or they sell and handbag or piece of clothing and say IT is THE IN piece for whatever season it is.
When they sell cardigans, cardigans are it, and you much have several.
When they sell dusters -- cardigans are OUT, and don't give enough coverage…..DUSTERS are in.
When they sell a wedge she, IT is in…when they're showing a BLOCK heel, THAT is in.
And if and item isn't IN, or ON TREND -- its a CLASSIC, or a STAPLE in your wardrobe.

And, their own quirks and ticks will drive you crazy.

I watch for entertainment mostly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2016, 11:15 PM

44,540 posts, read 61,201,075 times
You sure have a strange preference for entertainment. j/k

Those shows you mention remind me of the those snake oil salesmen of yore...

Old 08-27-2016, 05:41 AM

4,703 posts, read 4,351,886 times
I do the same as you Selhars, I watch for mindless background entertainment. I know a few people who do the same. I have bought 3 things over the years (and we re talking a lot of years of sometimes watching- probably close to 25).
I don't know why I find it so interesting but I think it's like a glimpse into another world for me. The hosts come off (or try to) as very real, genuine, relatable but yet are attractive and therefore appealing... They encourage you that you need something whether it's a "fashion staple" or a "fashion trendy update" or a nice splurge------ or a very useful practical efficient gadget.
I just get intrigued watching.
I recently stumbled on a site that has tons of very funny people discussing the shopping networks but mostly QVC- discussing the hosts (mostly) and also some of the ware being sold. Not sure if I can link to other sites but it is
(forums.previously.tv is a great one in general, but the shopping channels one is to die for. Hope you enjoy it )

Shopping Channel Shows - Page 183 - Genre Talk - Previously.TV Forums

Old 08-27-2016, 08:59 AM

A QVC host is raving about their Today's Special Value -- a Shark vacuum cleaner.

Now how can I believe a thing she says -- when just last week they were all raving about a Dyson vacuum for twice the price?

Old 09-11-2016, 12:54 PM

Nene Leakes and other celebrity designers…who would pay for anything with their names on it?
Not to mention selling perfume via television.
The hosts rave and will say the dumbest things. They're absurd. Glorified sales people who'll sell competing skin care brands back to back and say the same thing about them all.

Recently a host was raving about Wolfgang Pucks cookware, since then they're also sold Lorena Garcia, and yesterday it was Ming Tsai. They can't all be "the best."

And the clothing prices on QVC are insane.

Old 09-14-2016, 01:04 AM

All the QVC hosts are into the colors, the colors the colors.
They tell you the color options, before they even show you what the hell the product does. Geez.

Old 09-14-2016, 01:11 AM

18,812 posts, read 32,244,322 times
I don't like listening to sales people trying to get me to buy things and they just talk talk talk to fill air time. I know people who love to watch those shows and rave about the deals they got, etc., But, I find them really irritating.

Old 09-22-2016, 08:53 AM

I happen to be up early today, and turned on QVC.
Anyone ever see their "in-house " designer Susan Graver.
OMG, she won't shut. the f#@k up! She's up watchable. I don't know how the host who is on with her doesn't just stop talking or say, "I'll wait for you to finish."
She's telling the camera operator what to pan in own. The host is trying to talk. It's maddening!
Susan, if you're ready this honey: SHUT UP!

Old 12-10-2018, 10:05 AM

1 posts, read 5,920 times
Have been watching QVC, HSN, EVINE & JTV for years. Guess my reasons for watching have to do with my sexuality. I have never bought much from the Networks. The crassness of sell, sell, sell is annoying. I mean, does anyone really need most of the items they present? Maybe if you need a quick gift for someone. And yes, many of the hosts & so called product experts are also very annoying.
The reasons I have always been attracted are that I enjoy watching some of the Female Hosts. I am truly very Effeminate and I love the Fashions, Shoes, Jewelry and Makeup the Women wear during the presentations. I know many other Gay Men who also like these programs for the same reasons.
Mainly these networks are aimed at Women, so I guess a lot of Gay Men who like myself are Effeminate and love all things Feminine are drawn to these shows.
Would love to hear from other Gay Men who enjoy watching Amy Morrison, Carrie Smith, Connie Craig or Shivan Sarna on HSN. Or Jen Coffey, Kerstin Lindquist, and Shaw Killinger on the Q. I also love Heather Hall on EVINE. Philip

Old 12-11-2018, 03:16 AM

I just like watching QVC and HSN for entertainment purposes. They're on in the background when nothing else is on.
I just don't like tear people down and tearing them apart for how they look, as another site does.
Some hosts I like, others I don't. But I'm not into calling names and vitriol. I think a viewer can be critical without just destroying a person.

I'm mostly just interested in the business aspects of the industry, presentations, product choices that are offered, on air presentations, etc. I don't really buy much from them at all. Mostly holiday gifts around this time of year. And the very rare time I might see that I think I could use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products