Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2016, 12:08 AM

997 posts, read 936,291 times

Advertisements

Here is a little tip for Amazon shoppers. I don't know if this is news to anybody but I figured out an angle.

Add-on items are cheap little good deals but you have to add them to an order that is over 25 dollars. I figured out that you can order multiples of the add-on to get your dollar amount up.

Obviously, this works for things that you could use more then one of.

One time I needed drawing paper and I have a certain size and style that I like and I do buy in quantity because I like to stock up on things I use all the time. They didn't have my brand at the art supply store so I looked on Amazon. I found a deal for less then 3 dollars a pad, but it was an add-on item, so I bought 25 dollars worth of the same add-on item and that worked.

After I made my purchase, I checked the item again and it was no longer an add-on item and had gone up to over 8 dollars a pad. This was immediately after I made my purchase.

I just did this again with another item. It was something that I could have used several of, so I used several to get the price up to qualify.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2016, 12:13 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
I find the add on items a nice bonus from time to time but I would never dream of abusing the add on requirements.

Old 08-30-2016, 11:02 PM

997 posts, read 936,291 times
I didn't think of that as abusing. The requirements are to purchase a certain dollar amount.

I buy a lot from Amazon and I pay the yearly Prime membership. That is hardly abuse.

If they didn't want multiple add-on items to be purchased, they wouldn't permit it.

Old 08-31-2016, 05:23 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,951,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I find the add on items a nice bonus from time to time but I would never dream of abusing the add on requirements.
I'm confused. How on earth can a customer abuse the Add-On requirements? If anything, it's Amazon who is abusing the customer, not the reverse. Instead of charging the customer for shipping on items that "are prohibitively expensive to ship," they attempt to force customers into buying $25 worth of stuff in order to be able to purchase these things. The fact that this "program" also applies to Prime customers should insult Prime members, especially since the same things can be bought from third party sellers, usually at a cheaper price, even after including a shipping cost. I'm surprised anyone considers them a good thing at all.

Old 08-31-2016, 05:29 AM

993 posts, read 766,406 times
Thanks for taking time to post this tip. I always thought an add on item could only be purchased on after $25 spent on non-add on items. It's nice to know that's not the case. I can't tell you how many deals I've passed up. No more!

Old 08-31-2016, 04:40 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,520,307 times
You can add all different kinds of add on items to get to $25. It doesn't need to be the same item.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products