Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2016, 04:09 PM

8,070 posts, read 4,745,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I really wish stores would get rid of their policy of having to ask customers if they need anything if they are within so many feet. Some take the policy to literally and end up being annoying. I've left stores before without making a purchase because the employees were so obnoxious constantly asking if I was okay. Have employees visable, so if a customer needs something, they can be the ones to ask.
Bed, Bath and Beyond is terrible about this. I'm the kind who will only ask for help as a last resort, and rarely need it because I tend to find my own way. The BBB employees are expected to ask over and over because they live and die by the scores they receive from Secret Shopper organizations. Since they never know who is 'grading' them, we all have to deal with the annoyances because this robotic behavior is...well, they live in terror of getting singled out on one of those SS reports. And they are probably not the only ones.

It's a rock and a hard place for these employees though. Too attentive and you scare off people who want to be left alone. Not attentive enough and you anger the ones who want to be coddled and catered to--of which I'm sure there are plenty. Of course home improvement places like HD and Lowes would have lots of people in both categories, since their two main client groups are contractors/pros who know exactly what they need and are on a time schedule, and amateur DIY'ers who have no idea what they're doing and want someone to tell them what to buy, how to put it in, and to give them confidence that they can do the project.

That said, I'm a total Luddite and have never used Amazon or EBay, and have no real inclination toward either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2016, 06:58 PM

3,401 posts, read 1,235,610 times
There's one store I go to where every time I take my stuff up to the register the cashier has to ask "So, who helped you today?" Every time. Why does it matter? It's a tiny mall store, easy to find what you want without help. And no, I don't want your credit card either, nor do I wish to round up my change to help save you 53 cents on your corporate taxes.

Another thing I like about Amazon and eBay: no security tags! No need to take something back just because someone forgot to remove one of them or having to take it off yourself and hope for the best because the store is half an hour away.

Had a similar experience just today. I went to a Barnes and Noble that was a bit out of my way today. The music and movies section has short walls that separate it from the rest of the store. It has its own register, but it was closed, and really didn't look like it had been used in some time. So I figured I'd just take my purchase up to the regular register. And of course the detectors started beeping. No one even seemed to take notice, and there were several employees within eye/earshot of me. If you're going to close that register, at least turn off the beepers so people don't get confused.

Old 10-08-2016, 12:27 AM

16,072 posts, read 21,144,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
I really wish stores would get rid of their policy of having to ask customers if they need anything if they are within so many feet. Some take the policy to literally and end up being annoying. I've left stores before without making a purchase because the employees were so obnoxious constantly asking if I was okay. Have employees visable, so if a customer needs something, they can be the ones to ask.
Please shoot an email to the corp headquarters of the companies that you notice are bad about this, an e-mail that doesn't identify a particular location. Voice your opinion of the company policy.
Some places literally grade employees on following these asinine policies and it affects them when it comes to reviews and raises. Every single time a customer comes into that employee's service zone, whether it's the 1st time or the 4th time, they generally will ask you, because they know the manager might be out of sight on the next aisle listening and grading them on their compliance.

Old 10-08-2016, 12:52 AM

997 posts, read 937,105 times
I use Amazon all the time. There are some products that I like but I don't know where to find them. I shop at stores like Ross or stores that don't always carry the same items. They get what they get.

I might find something that I like, but I can't find it again so I go on Amazon.

If I need a little doo-dad, and I think I might find it at a craft store, or a home store but I am not sure where to find it and I don't want to drive all over town searching for the elusive item.

I go to Amazon.com and find it.

There are still stores that I like to browse through but I don't like shopping that much. It is a necessary evil that I avoid as much as possible. I only like stores that have interesting items, that aren't always the same.

I don't like chain stores at all, but I do like Costco and Trader Joes and we have a Grocery Outlet that I like a lot. I sometimes have to go to the regular grocery store, but I avoid it.

I don't do all my shopping on Amazon but for the things I would have to run all over town for and hunt down then Amazon is easier.

Real stores, have real sales and that is where you find the deals. Amazon can't replace that.

Old 10-08-2016, 01:23 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,500,469 times
I was really excited about the idea of ordering on a store website, then just picking up my order at the local store - no shipping, but I don't have to run all around the store trying to find items. I tried this with Home Depot and Walmart.

In both instances - and I gave them both several tries - this option is worse than either ordering it online shipped to your home, or just running all around the store to get it yourself.

Inevitably, when you get to the store to pick up your order - at both of the above - there aren't employees available who know how to process the order - even if the order is on the shelf right behind them in full view.

You just rarely can get decent customer service in person in a store anymore. For the most part, it's not their fault. They are expected to do other chores, which can be quantified - like put merchandise on shelves in a department - as well as help customers. You can just see them cringe when you start walking their way to ask for help. They are thinking, "I'll never get these doohickeys on the shelf by noon and my supervisor is going to read me the riot act. So, they try desperately not to get eye contact with you...

I get it. It's not the employee's fault, blah blah. But, what I like about buying online, is the normally easy option of returning something - usually for free with a mailing label from the company, like Amazon or Ebay.

The only down side is paying for shipping. And don't be fooled by Amazon's Prime supposedly "free" 2 day shipping. All of their items that qualify are marked up, or there will be a little disclaimer that says it won't ship for 3 - 6 days - and then when they finally ship it, it is shipped in 2 days. Well, if that process takes a week - it's not 2 day shipping. Nice try Amazon. I used to love Amazon, but no more.

The only store that has amazing customer service in my life right now is Fred Meyer's in Brookings, OR. There are actually enough employees in all departments, so they can actually help you and know what they're talking about. And they aren't pushy, and the cashiers aren't asking about who helped you, etc. Actually, all the stores in southern OR, pretty much, have really great customer service. And all I can figure is, besides southern Oregonians being nice people, the businesses actually are willing to have lower profits, in order to make and keep happy customers.

Old 10-08-2016, 04:04 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,044,756 times
Brick and mortar stores are their own worst enemies.

I needed insulin syringes for my newly diagnosed diabetic cat after the initial supply of syringes the vet had given me was close to running out.

Went to several drug stores, with a prescription for the syringes, just in case I needed it.

"We will only sell syringes to you if you have the prescription filled here."

I already had the prescription filled at another store that had the best price on the insulin.

So, I went back to that store. I ask for the size of syringe that I like and am used to.

"We don't carry that size."

I ask if they can order it for me.

"We don't do that."

Sooooo......I come home, get on the computer and within half an hour the syringes I want are on their way at a good price with NO HASSLE.

So much for supporting brick and mortar stores in the community.

Old 10-08-2016, 05:36 AM

43,659 posts, read 44,385,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Brick and mortar stores are their own worst enemies.

I needed insulin syringes for my newly diagnosed diabetic cat after the initial supply of syringes the vet had given me was close to running out.

Went to several drug stores, with a prescription for the syringes, just in case I needed it.

"We will only sell syringes to you if you have the prescription filled here."

I already had the prescription filled at another store that had the best price on the insulin.

So, I went back to that store. I ask for the size of syringe that I like and am used to.

"We don't carry that size."

I ask if they can order it for me.

"We don't do that."

Sooooo......I come home, get on the computer and within half an hour the syringes I want are on their way at a good price with NO HASSLE.

So much for supporting brick and mortar stores in the community.
Some time ago, I went bra shopping at JCPenney and I look found only one bra in my size that I liked. When I mentioned this to the cashier, she told me that they could order them for me.

On the other hand, sometimes there are products I simply can't find easily in local stores and then I go on Amazon which has the item/s available and cheaper than going to a store further away.

Old 10-08-2016, 12:51 PM

997 posts, read 937,105 times
I have Amazon Prime and maybe some items are marked up but I buy items that are reasonably priced, or I won't buy them. They have their daily deals and sometimes I find something that I didn't know I needed.

For instance I bought a laminator for 13 dollars. I didn't need it but I thought I might in the future because there have been times that I wished I had one. I don't know how much those things go for in the store, but that was a deal.

I have a thing for pens. Last year I bought a bunch of inexpensive fountain pens from China. They were very nice quality and they were a few bucks each, and I bought a package of Parker fountain pen knockoffs because they bought the factory. They were very cheap and they are pretty good. I look for deals like that. I bought some very nice artist quality pens the other day, 20 bucks for a set of 40. I wanted to check them out and see if the quality is equal to the expensive brand. I try to find the deals. If it isn't a deal, I won't buy it, unless I really need it.

There is a face cream that I use and it costs 17 dollars at a pharmacy in town where I get a discount. It costs 17 dollars from Amazon. It isn't true that everything is marked up for prime members. Maybe some things are but if it is cheaper then the store, I can't complain. I also buy lightbulbs from Amazon. They are not more expensive but something that I must have on hand and it is easier to simply place an order.

I do believe in supporting local businesses but not the big chains.

I am not too far from their shipping place and I always get my items in 2 days, sometimes even less. I don't know how they even do that. It is rare for an item to take longer then 2 days.

Old 10-08-2016, 05:35 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,475,764 times
From the few Walmarts and some Targets I've been to, I've generally been helped when I ask someone. Best Buy, Frys, and Micro Center have been 50/50. I used to work at a Kmart, so while I was usually able to help someone, or at least direct someone to where they could be helped, I generally do get wanting to ignore some of these folks from having a hard day, or needing to tend to something else first.

IMO, these guys should also be on tips. They work just as hard, if not harder than the servers, waiters, and bus boys at restaurants.

Old 10-09-2016, 01:42 PM

11,558 posts, read 12,052,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
From the few Walmarts and some Targets I've been to, I've generally been helped when I ask someone. Best Buy, Frys, and Micro Center have been 50/50. I used to work at a Kmart, so while I was usually able to help someone, or at least direct someone to where they could be helped, I generally do get wanting to ignore some of these folks from having a hard day, or needing to tend to something else first.

IMO, these guys should also be on tips. They work just as hard, if not harder than the servers, waiters, and bus boys at restaurants.
Was at a Walmart store recently and asked an employee where I could find light bulbs; he didn't know and was honest about it, but at the same time a customer overheard and she told pointed me in the right direction. The WM employee walked with me to ensure I found what I needed - that's good customer service!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products