Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2016, 07:32 AM

3,661 posts, read 2,945,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
I was at Old Navy today, and had the same person ask me 3 times if I needed any help, all within one minute. I gave a polite "No thanks, I'm good" the first two times, but by the third time I had to be a bit more stern telling her "No, really, I'm good. If I need help, I'll ask." She gave me a dirty look and then walked off. It was obvious she wasn't even looking at who she was asking and just continuelly asked people as they walked by. It's bad enough when 3 different people all ask you within a few minutes, but one person doing it was ridiculous.

I really wish stores would get rid of their policy of having to ask customers if they need anything if they are within so many feet. Some take the policy to literally and end up being annoying. I've left stores before without making a purchase because the employees were so obnoxious constantly asking if I was okay. Have employees visable, so if a customer needs something, they can be the ones to ask.
They do this in China, not for great customer service but to check if you are shoplifting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2016, 09:58 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,839,973 times
I work in a retail store, and we treat customers very well, but I do understand why more and more people are using on line shopping. We were just discussing this the other day, among some employees at work.

One thing is the price, obviously, but another is that you get NO hassles when on line. Brick and mortar stores are going way beyond being reasonable these days because they bug you at the register, when all you want to do is pay and leave. Things like "Are you a member here, do you have our reward card, do you want a protection plan on that, and (the one I hate the most) would you take our survey ?"

I keep saying "no" when asked those questions, but the cashiers are programmed to sell every service in the world, and sometimes will not let up. Companies do not realize how many people they are turning off with trying to get additional money or information from people, when all they want is the product they came into the store for.

The big push now is to get customers to look at products they did not come into the store to buy........walk them over and show them add on products. It really turns people off and makes them reluctant to come in and shop. The people at companies who push these programs do not realize the negative impact it has on customers.

Old 11-26-2016, 07:41 PM

1,022 posts, read 1,255,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90077 View Post
Ditto. My local Lowe's has mostly younger clerks that are more interested in carrying on with each other than helping this (now infrequent) customer. The local Home Depot store has older clerks who are more helpful and more knowledgeable. I point out this difference whenever HD sends me a customer satisfaction survey.
Same here. We have Lowes and HD across the street from each other and it's like night and day. We can never find anyone at Lowes and HD folks go out of their way to help. Needless to say we only go to Lowes when HD does not have what we need.

Old 11-27-2016, 12:37 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,296,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
I work in a retail store, and we treat customers very well, but I do understand why more and more people are using on line shopping. We were just discussing this the other day, among some employees at work.

One thing is the price, obviously, but another is that you get NO hassles when on line. Brick and mortar stores are going way beyond being reasonable these days because they bug you at the register, when all you want to do is pay and leave. Things like "Are you a member here, do you have our reward card, do you want a protection plan on that, and (the one I hate the most) would you take our survey ?"

I keep saying "no" when asked those questions, but the cashiers are programmed to sell every service in the world, and sometimes will not let up. Companies do not realize how many people they are turning off with trying to get additional money or information from people, when all they want is the product they came into the store for.

The big push now is to get customers to look at products they did not come into the store to buy........walk them over and show them add on products. It really turns people off and makes them reluctant to come in and shop. The people at companies who push these programs do not realize the negative impact it has on customers.

A big problem isn't just lack of service but lack of inventory. Stores are just not stocked up like they use to be. It's difficult to find items because either the store chooses not to carry it or it sells out early and is never restocked. I remember looking for something as simple as USB A to USB A cord and it was nowhere to be found at any of the Big Box stores. Employees either didn't know what one was one or didn't care that it was not in stock. I had to order it on Amazon and got it the next day with free delivery.

I don't find on-line prices to be cheaper. I feel that at best, they are the same at what you would find in a store. With most places, you will get free shipping but it's not always fast. Most of the time you will get a better deal at a store particularly if you have any type of store membership. But the reality is if there is a product that is in-demand and priced well, it will be sold out and it could takes weeks for stores to replenish those items. With Amazon, they have higher volume of items.

And yes, there are those annoying hassles. I bought a video game system online for my child. I didn't have to wait 5 minutes to have a clerk only page a manager who arrives 10 minutes to open a glass case. I didn't save any money. I would have paid the same amount at the store. The difference, I got the exact model and configuration I wanted.

Last edited by azriverfan.; 11-27-2016 at 12:51 AM..

Old 11-27-2016, 05:54 AM

1,180 posts, read 777,978 times
You're late to the party. Been Amazon only for years.

Old 11-28-2016, 03:09 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,701,807 times
The only thing I don't buy on Amazon is clothing and fresh baked Apple Pie.

Old 11-29-2016, 02:55 PM

3,401 posts, read 1,235,610 times
Today I realized another reason why people dislike shopping, especially at the malls: the kiosks!

Earlier today I was at the mall, when someone at the kiosk told me he wanted to show me something. Foolishly enough, I walked over. He proceeded to clean one of my shoes, to show off the shoe cleaner they were selling. After I said "No", he then offered to clean my other shoe, in exchange for a tip! I declined that as well. Now I have one spotless shoe, and one somewhat dirty one.

It's not just them. Other kiosks relentlessly attack everyone in sight with their dead sea skincare minerals, heating pads, vacation drawings, e-cigarettes, etc. Just saying "NO" won't stop them, I've seen them get loud and try to talk to people 30 feet past their kiosk.

I've told people, you can tell which ones are getting paid on commission, and which ones just get hourly wage. These aggressive ones must be getting commission, while the hourly employees just seem to play on their laptop the whole time they're at work.

Old 11-29-2016, 09:55 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,020,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arianator View Post
Today I realized another reason why people dislike shopping, especially at the malls: the kiosks!

Earlier today I was at the mall, when someone at the kiosk told me he wanted to show me something. Foolishly enough, I walked over. He proceeded to clean one of my shoes, to show off the shoe cleaner they were selling. After I said "No", he then offered to clean my other shoe, in exchange for a tip! I declined that as well. Now I have one spotless shoe, and one somewhat dirty one.

It's not just them. Other kiosks relentlessly attack everyone in sight with their dead sea skincare minerals, heating pads, vacation drawings, e-cigarettes, etc. Just saying "NO" won't stop them, I've seen them get loud and try to talk to people 30 feet past their kiosk.

I've told people, you can tell which ones are getting paid on commission, and which ones just get hourly wage. These aggressive ones must be getting commission, while the hourly employees just seem to play on their laptop the whole time they're at work.
I just completely ignore them. I don't say anything to them, and I don't make eye contact. I just keep on walking. If I don't show any interest, they are not going to chase me down when they have plenty of other people they can try and sell their products to. I don't know why you would walk over and let them clean one of your shoes. If you didn't want to completely ignore them, a simple "No thanks" as you continued walking would have worked. They are not going to start touching people without permission, and if they do, report them to whoever owns the mall.

Old 11-29-2016, 11:02 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,041,876 times
Amazon is great but only if you know exactly what you want. If not, good luck winnowing down the choices. For example, "black wool sweater" gets 31,981 results. The sidebar "refine by" choices only goes so far.

Old 11-30-2016, 12:06 AM

10,114 posts, read 19,404,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkiforniainHouston View Post
I work at the big box store on the weekends and i can understand the frustration. there are never enough people on the floor because not enough people are scheduled, and, of the people that are scheduled, at least 1/3 of them are calling out sick. I am scheduled to work in the Paint department. If I leave the general area, i will get swamped by people in other aisles, leaving my work station and the customers there unattended. then I will get chastised for leaving people stranded at the counter.

Unfortunately, these days there is little time for hand holding, and if there is, with the hundred different types of any one thing, you won't be getting much help or expertise for $12/hr. My suggestions are:

1. check out the store's website. when you browse products you can make sure the item is in stock, and the site will usually tell you what aisle and bay the item is located.

2. Download the store's app from the app store. These apps enable you to input an item (example: WD-40) and it will bring up the price, the number of cans on hand and the exact location of the item.

3. Place an internet order. Browse the site, place your items in the virtual basket, and pay. Your order will be waiting for you at customer service, no more wandering the store.

I know it sucks not having that personal service from the time you walk into the store until you leave. That model is more the exception rather than the rule. Not only do I work that environment, I'm a store shopper too. Instead of blustering myself out trying to locate humans, I try to make myself as un-frustrated as possible by taking advantage of the online tools the business offers to be able to get in and out as quickly as possible.

BTW i'm also an advocate for Amazon, Zappos, Swanson Vitamins, etc for this very reason. I can take my time, browse, get reviews on items and have them delivered to my door without wasting gas and time. Good luck OP.
How do you get to be an advocate? Do you get paid money, or get the product free for evaluating it? I know someone who is an "Ambassador" for Svaorski, but she has to put up a big deposit for all the jewelry, etc. Her Dad is loaded, so no problem there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products