Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2016, 09:43 AM

1,357 posts, read 1,242,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
I wipe the magnetic strip from my credit cards (you can also cover with a strip of aluminum tape) to prevent skimming. If the establishment doesn't have a chip enabled reader yet after all this time, they don't deserve my business.
What do you do for restaurant where you hand your card to server? What about gas pumps? I've yet to see any with chip reader.

Last edited by bobandsherry; 10-01-2016 at 10:37 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2016, 11:16 AM

9,880 posts, read 7,212,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandsherry View Post
What do you do for restaurant where you hand your card to server? What about gas pumps? I've yet to see any with chip reader.
Many restaurants are still swiping because they cannot modify a charge for the tip after the card has been dipped. Swiping allows for a tab to be left open and the tip added. Same thing at bars - they swipe in order to run a tab. Fraudulent swipe cards are typically plain white cards as the thieves aren't going to the trouble of replicating actual cards. The restaurant can easily see if it's a real card. Some dining establishments are now going to mobile checkout terminals where you pay at the table with the chip technology.

Gas stations were exempted from the October 2015 deadline. They have until October of 2017 because updating the payment processors on pumps is more expensive than at retail establishments.

Old 10-01-2016, 04:10 PM

1,357 posts, read 1,242,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
Many restaurants are still swiping because they cannot modify a charge for the tip after the card has been dipped. Swiping allows for a tab to be left open and the tip added. Same thing at bars - they swipe in order to run a tab. Fraudulent swipe cards are typically plain white cards as the thieves aren't going to the trouble of replicating actual cards. The restaurant can easily see if it's a real card. Some dining establishments are now going to mobile checkout terminals where you pay at the table with the chip technology.

Gas stations were exempted from the October 2015 deadline. They have until October of 2017 because updating the payment processors on pumps is more expensive than at retail establishments.
Yes, I'm aware of that. Rabrrita had stated (as I quoted in my post):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
I wipe the magnetic strip from my credit cards (you can also cover with a strip of aluminum tape) to prevent skimming. If the establishment doesn't have a chip enabled reader yet after all this time, they don't deserve my business.
So I was asking what they do for restaurants and gas stations which do not have chip readers. I was wondering if they requested "chip and dip" when using card at those establishments.

Old 10-01-2016, 04:22 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times
The non-profit I work at upgraded to the chip readers 6 months ago. They just don't work. I have yet to come across a customer that objects to their chipped credit card being swiped.

Old 10-01-2016, 05:06 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,046,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenkay View Post
I find it takes on average about 20 seconds longer. Considering that it's supposed to be much, MUCH more secure, I'm OK with that. I'm sort of amazed that everyone's complaining about how "long" it takes. How are so many people in such a huge hurry than an extra 20-30 seconds at the checkout is such an inconvenience?

It isn't just the time, it is the process.

When I could swipe the card, the card never left my hand. Wallet out, card swipe, card back in wallet, wallet safely back in purse before it was time to fill out the info on the terminal.

Now I have to keep my purse open, wallet in hand, fill out info on the terminal, then finally get the card back and into the wallet and wallet back into purse.

The new process doesn't flow as nicely as the old.

Old 10-01-2016, 08:38 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,251,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Some people go through the same routine to pull out a credit card.
Then they change their mind and fish for another credit card, which doesn't go through so they try another.
Sometimes a delay can be partly the fault of quarterly credit card rewards. Some cards give a 5% bonus on certain categories, which change 4 times per year. So people always have to remember what the categories are for the present quarter. So they think to themselves, "which card gives 5% on groceries this quarter?" Because if they use a different card, they don't get the 5%. I solve that problem by keeping a little paper note telling me which cards are in which categories in the present quarter, and referring to that note before going through the checkout. Sometimes it gets even more complicated. A particular card might give 5% on grocery store purchases a particular quarter, but it's not always clear which stores are considered grocery stores. You can buy groceries at Aldi, Walmart, Costco, etc., but some of them may be considered grocery stores by some card issuers and not others. Or if the category is restaurants, does it include the pizza/sandwich place at Costco and Sams? So a lot of people spend time just being confused about that kind of stuff and just thinking about it and trying to remember the details.

Old 10-01-2016, 08:48 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,995,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandsherry View Post
It can be a problem, but for me it's a problem I'm wiling to endure.

For places like a restaurant, I tell them straight up that I have a chip only credit card and can they process it. Usually instead of getting a bill and you present the credit card, they run the tab, you sign and add the tip, and they run the final amount again; with mine they just present the check where I indicate the tip and they run the card in one transaction.

With gas stations, I usually have to go inside and and they hold the card until completed and run the final amount in one transaction.

Once again, since there is nothing on the card they can copy and use, the number is a reference number not the actual credit card number and they can't skim the mag strip as it's blank, having them hold the card is no big deal. Any location where you pass along the card gives anyone the opportunity to copy every bit of useful information from that card including cloning it, and, any mag swipe terminals are subject to skimming especially when not in direct sight of the attendant like at a gas station.

The introduction of chip technology in the US occurred a long time ago so there really is no excuse for a merchant not having the systems in place.

Old 10-06-2016, 01:03 AM

14,268 posts, read 18,933,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
It isn't just the time, it is the process.

When I could swipe the card, the card never left my hand. Wallet out, card swipe, card back in wallet, wallet safely back in purse before it was time to fill out the info on the terminal.

Now I have to keep my purse open, wallet in hand, fill out info on the terminal, then finally get the card back and into the wallet and wallet back into purse.

The new process doesn't flow as nicely as the old.
This is just what I was thinking when I bought groceries yesterday. You saved me a lot of typing.

Old 10-10-2016, 04:31 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,022,258 times
[quote=eok;45636040]When you order stuff online, you usually have it delivered to your home address. If you want it delivered to another address, you usually have to notify your card issuer, and/or have them add the 2nd address to your profile. Y

Not true.

I buy stuff online and have it shipped to different addresses and not once has my bank (card issuer) asked me to add additional address to my 'profile'.

My amazon account has my address and my children's address's, but my bank doesn't have access to my amazon account or any other online retailer I frequent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products